Many beginning bloggers want to start a blog because they already have a clear topic idea. Maybe they want to share their passion for exotic teas or they’re sure they’ll make buckets of money blogging about the latest technology. Other people know they want to start a blog but have no clue what to write about.
One of the keys to starting a blog with staying power is choosing a topic that will fuel your passions long-term.
When I first decided to start a blog, I was going to blog about personal growth. I’m a lifelong self-help junkie and love sharing what I learn from coaching sessions and courses. Plus, I saw money-making potential via affiliate links for coaching programs, books, and courses. As it turned out, my personal experiences with trying to start a blog led me to a topic I feel even more passionate about.
This is why I suggest that even if you’re sure you know what you want to blog about, stay open to other options.
Try brainstorming for topic ideas you might otherwise overlook. Brainstorm without concern for what might make money or what subjects your mother will approve of. Don’t weed out anything at this stage.
Here are some questions to fuel your brainstorming session:
- What are my hobbies?
- What do I currently want to learn more about about?
- What kinds of blogs do I like to read?
- What forums do I visit?
- What skills do I have from my work background?
- What are my passions?
- What kinds of experiences have I had in my life?
- What do other people tell me I’m good at?
- What toys do I like to buy?
- What sorts of things do people ask me about?
- What kinds of books and magazines do I buy?
- What were my favorite classes in school?
Over the next few days, I’ll post tips on narrowing the field and finding the best blog topic for your personal blogging goals. Meanwhile, stay open to any new ideas that come up.
- Celebrating Competition
- How to Create an Unforgettable Brand
- Will You Love, Honor, and Cherish Your Blog Topic?