Your blog is like a drive-thru restaurant in the online publishing world. By the time readers pull up to your blog, they’ve already placed their order in a search engine or via a subscription button. Once they have your content in hand, they’ll give it a quick scan to make sure you got their order right, wolf down a few bites, and speed on
down the information highway.
To keep these busy readers returning to your blog day after day, you’ll need to consistently deliver exceptionally tasty content. Before you hand over a hot-off-the-grill post to your readers, give it a final quality check to make sure it’s:
- Appetizing. Does the post have a tantalizing title and an aromatic lead to give the reader a whiff of the juicy content that awaits them?
- Fresh. Have you cooked up some new material or are you offering stale, recycled content?
- Satisfying. Did you pack your post with hearty ingredients like solid solutions to reader problems and straight answers to their questions?
- Digestible. Can readers verify their order with a quick scan of bold subheadings? Did you slice long passages of meaty text into short paragraphs? Have you chopped information into bite-sized morsels with bullet points and numbered lists?
- Delicious. Have you spiced up your post with stories, anecdotes, or humor?
Would You Like to Try an E-Book Shake Today?
If you have any special offers like an ebook or newsletter, point it out in your post and add a link to make it easy for the reader to order it while they’re here.
Will There Be Anything Else Today?
Before your readers pull away from your blog, make sure you’ve met their needs by encouraging comments and feedback.
Thank You. Please Pull Ahead.
Whether you do it in a post, in a reply to a comment, or somewhere else on your blog, remember to thank readers for stopping by your blog.
Your turn. Anything missing on our drive-thru menu? Leave a comment and share your thoughts. And thank you for stopping by Virgin Blogger Notes!