If having a great blog and a great life seem incompatible, then read on. Streamline your life and focus on what is most important, and you truly can have it all.
- Set clear goals for all areas of your life, including your blog. Work on only 1-3 goals at any given time for maximum effectiveness.
- Break goals down into projects, and break these projects into small tasks that can be completed in an hour or less.
- Select 1-5 of these goal-related tasks daily, and put these at the top of your day’s “want-to-do” list in the priority of their importance to you.
- Do these 1-5 things in order before doing anything else on your list (obviously, you can feed yourself, kids, pets, etc., and do other truly essential things beforehand).
- Group other tasks you wish/need to get done that day into related batches such as errands, household projects, online activities.
- When working on a task or on a batch of tasks, clear away all distractions and focus only on the task at hand.
- Use an online or other timer to improve focus if necessary.
- Allow yourself time between goal-related tasks or batches of tasks to enjoy simple pleasures like a walk outdoors, playing with kids or pets, or reading a few pages from an inspirational book.
- Continually reevaluate your tasks and batches of tasks to ensure they’re in alignment with your goals and personal values. Gradually shed tasks and activities that do not mesh with how you want to live your life.
A few more tips:
- Schedule a few minutes each day to clear clutter. Clutter = chaos, so get rid of it!
- Break your internet addiction. Schedule times to check email, social media, read online, etc., and stick to this schedule.
- Mind your own business. Avoid news, drama, gossip or anything else that doesn’t move you in the direction you want to go.
- Enjoy the moment. Whether blogging, working at a job, or enjoying some free time, practice being fully present where you are.
And that’s it . . . a simple but life-changing way of being in this world that will ultimately bring joy to blogging and everything else you do.
What do you think?
Get speedy delivery of more articles like these, by becoming a Virgin Blogger Notes subscriber.