How to Rant and Still Respect Yourself in the Morning

One of my guilty pleasures is sneaking down to the Main Street Cafe, tucking myself into a tall wooden booth, and eavesdropping on the old goats bellied up to the breakfast counter. These fellows have a bone to pick with everyone from the local car dealer to that turncoat quarterback, Brett Favre, and as long as the coffee keeps coming, so will their red-faced rants.

A good blog rant makes me feel like I’m sitting right there in that cafe booth. Granted, I can’t see the bulging eyes or hear coffee mugs slammed on the counter for emphasis, but the emotion behind the words still grabs me and draws me in.

Sooner or later, most bloggers write some form of rant post, be it wild or mild. In most cases, these rants are healthy for all involved. After all, a good rant:

• Feels great to the blogger who needed to vent.
  • Can increase traffic due to shares, tweets, and links from other bloggers.
  • Builds connections with readers who feel the same way.
  • Gets lots of comments.
  • Can be a catalyst for improving a bad situation.

Now, that all sounds pretty rosy, but just a few thoughtless clicks of the keyboard can quickly turn a rant into the equivalent of a 20-car pileup on your blog. Handled poorly, a rant will:

• Alienate readers who feel differently.
  • Damage relationships.
  • Destroy credibility.
  • Create rancor within the community.

Yikes!

Fortunately, there are a few easy ways to cut the risks and still rant like your hair’s on fire.

Here’s how:

• Capture the anger while it’s fresh. Write down the specifics of the situation including who or what is making you angry, what happened, and why you’re so hot under the collar. Don’t censor anything at this point.
  • DO NOT HIT PUBLISH. No, I don’t care how brilliantly you skewered your subject. Step away from the keyboard!
  • Get some space. Do something to take your mind off the situation for at least a couple hours.

Hopefully, by the time you return to the keyboard you’ll have cooled down a speck and gained some perspective. Now’s it’s time to rework that rant so it’s still straight from the heart but not likely to have you writing an apology post the next day.

Here’s how to do it:

• Keep the emotion. You want to revise your rant without watering it down into a bland pile of mush. Use lots of ‘feeling’ words such as mad, angry, disappointed, irritated, etc.
  • Exaggerate. Be honest when it comes to facts or figures, but by all means play things up where you can. We all know your head really doesn’t spin when you’re mad, but we like to think that it does.
  • Stay on topic. Make sure the focus of the rant stays on that lousy plug-in that crashed your site rather than veering off into a tirade about your nosy mother-in-law and the escalating price of cheese.
  • Add a little light sarcasm or humor. If you’re the type that likes to add a few jabs or jokes to your writing, by all means, have at it.
  • Be a spokesperson for your readers. Tell your readers how this situation affects them. Let them know you’re spouting off on their behalf too.
  • Avoid name calling and personal attacks. I love the word ‘weasel’ and ‘ditch-licking weasel’ sounds all the better. Still, name calling usually ends up being the first turn into Uglyvlle, so try not to go there.
  • Consider a solution. When you’ve captured the spirit and essence of your rant, suggest a solution if you have one.
  • Get your readers involved. You’ve spoken your mind, now let readers have their say. Close out your rant by asking readers to tell you what they think.

Once your rant has been published, the real fun begins. Chances are you’ll see extra traffic and comments, so stick around and stay engaged. Remember that you’re the driver of this bus, so if the discussion takes a wrong turn in the comments, grab hold of the wheel and gently steer things back towards the topic.

Hopefully, life will treat you well, but if not, I’m looking forward to reading your rant :)

Meanwhile, I’m headed down to the Main Street Cafe . . . .

Your turn: Do you rant on your blog? Like reading rants? What are the pros and cons?

85 Responses to How to Rant and Still Respect Yourself in the Morning

1. Ms. Freeman June 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

That cat is a cutie pie!

A good rant is always fun to come across, but many of them sound like haters hating those that are in a position of success.

Your guidelines should come in handy for those that like to rant, myself included….:)

2. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I know what you mean, Ms. Freeman. I've read some of those and it seems like a lot of jealousy is getting spewed out on the page. Hope I can catch your next rant!

3. Erica June 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

I haven't ranted yet, but it WILL come. I LOVE reading rants. You may alienate some readers, but being able to get everything out is a definite pro!

4. Arvind Devalia June 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Jean, I haven't ranted for a while but I can sense a massive and well overdue rant coming up soon!

In fact I had better go and lie down quick, before I start ranting here right now in your comments box:-)

5. Gurl June 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

Hey Jean! I also love a good rant..reading OR writing it! I've been doing several of those at a friends site, Cantankerous Old Coots, and am loving it! It lets me get out my frustrations without worrying about alienating anyone, since rants and telling it like it is was the whole reason COC was born. Nice insights on how to rant without making a fool of one's self. Thanks for sharing :)

6. Lisa@PracticallyIntuitive June 7, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

I love ranting! That's why I have a personal blog where I can spew at will. :) On Practically Intuitive, I walk my talk and look at the energy behind the rant and see if I can make some sense of all the feelings being stirred up inside me. Rants have their place (at your local coffeehouse!) but if you're spinning wheels and not coming up with solutions also, it's just energy wasted. (IMO, anyway)

7. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Jennifer, I LOVE your post on Meaningful Existence today! Now I'm going to have to check out Cantankerous Old Coots. Sounds like my coffee guys :)

8. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

I would love to hear an Arvind-rant some day. Matter of fact, I'd like to get the video version and turn it into a seminar. I bet we could all learn from that :)

9. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Hi Lisa. Spewing at will sounds good (!), but you're smart to have a personal space to do that. I haven't ranted on here yet because I tend not to follow those guidelines I shared. My rants end up making me look like a crazy person, which probably isn't all that far off the beam :)

10. Gurl June 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Thanks so much. It took more cajones than I will fully admit to in order for me to ask Karen if she'd post that one. I am so glad you enjoyed it…the comments are really awesome so far, and sharing my insights about all things in life makes ME happy. Total win/win. Hope you enjoy the rant fest that is the COC :)

11. Dev | Technshare June 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Well .. Awesome Post.. !! Good rant is always amazing. You have shared some really great tips. I really love this post :).

Thanks for sharing this great Post.

~Dev

12. Jane Rochelle June 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Jean….I love this post, and I love your blog! Just recently subscribed and I look forward to each post!

I generally rant via email, and have learned that it's usually not a good idea for me to hit 'send' after 9 pm…I should go to bed, instead. Re-reading in the morning brings a sigh of relief that I DIDN'T hit 'send'. Whew!

It's a balancing act, especially for those of us who prefer to express ourselves through writing. Thanks a million for the great tips…..pretty sure they'll keep me out of trouble one day!

:) Jane

13. mark June 7, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

I really enjoy hearing those old guys complain too! Especially if they are raving about a subject that really does not affect them in any way. Then, it is hilarious!

Is that your cat? She/He looks fairly intimidating! Ha!

I think you made some really essential points here. Sometimes after having made a comment on someone else's post I think that perhaps I should have just shut up. Sadly, comments are like diamonds (forever unless someone is willing to give it back). So, great advice – write, wait, rewrite, wait, post.

Of course, I have been trying to stir up some controversy on my blog lately, but very few people want to agrue, it seems. Maybe I need to visit that site the Gurl mentioned to see how it is done.

BTW, “ditch-licking weasel” is something that I will be calling people in the office for the rest of the week. :)

Have a great day!

14. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm #

Hi Jane, and thanks for your kind words. How well I know the, “Thank God I didn't send that!” feeling. What seems like such a brilliant retort in the evening looks sooo differently in the morning light.

15. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Well Dev, I was sort of hoping to make you really mad so you'd start ranting at me :) Thanks for stopping in and taking the time comment.

16. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

I love older folks. It seems like old guys complain about everything in the world and old gals mainly complain about the old guys :) No, that's not my cat, by the way. My cats are both divas and demand a high modeling fee. Hey, I can come over to your site and call you a ditch-licking weasel to liven things up. Happy to do it :)

17. Mary June 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

I live Mr D's for that fact too, Jean! The only problem is that as I age it is harder to pick up on complete sentences from a booth away! It is the place to be sometimes to keep on the current news though. LOL

18. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

Oh yeah, Mr. D's has THE BEST old goat gatherings around. Sometimes I wonder just exactly what they put in that coffee to get those guys so cranked up. The way they tell it, half of us are morons and the other half are idiots. The only one who's okay is the hostess with the coffee pot.

19. Carol Stephen June 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

I love this rant on ranting, and how it can be a CATalyst for change (I get that one!). The grouchy cat face just adds to the overall content on grumpiness. I learned the hard way not to press “Send” (or “Publish”) too soon. Letting the rant stew on the back burner for an hour or two or overnight can change everything. Thanks for a great blog!

20. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

Carol, I swear I'm not clever enough to pair the word 'catalyst' with that picture, but I sure wish I was. I'd be a total genius, which you must be to have picked up on it! I so love that cat picture. What a great face.

21. Leah McClellan June 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Laughing here…What if your blog is named Peaceful Planet and you feel like going off on a very non-peaceful rant? hee hee Hmm I think I do have a disclaimer in there somewhere, something about not being the patron saint of patience :) Great advice, Jean.Looking for a solution sounds like a great way to get readers involved. Avoiding name calling and all that–yeah, I feel turned off when I see a post like that.

22. James King June 7, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

I've written some of my best blog posts based on emotion and anger, sometimes passionate writing can develop a successful blog post. If used correctly you can develop a great blog.

I love the photo of the cat. My sister turned 21 today and we got her a kitten. We've had plenty of cats before we are all animal lovers here.

23. Angela Artemis June 7, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

Jean, I have plenty to rant about – how do I count the ways?
    Great article – as usual.
    I'm going to tuck away your guidelines for a future rant I feel coming on!

24. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

25. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Hi Angela. Really enjoyed your interview with Hulbert over at From Bottom Up. Lucky you didn't start ranting on there. Haha. A ranting podcast with you and Hulbert . . . now that's an interesting scenario . . .

26. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

Happy Birthday to your sister, and I hope she and her new kitten have many happy years together. Deep emotion, including anger, can definitely make for some great writing, That's where the craft of writing really comes into play. I love when someone can just pull me right in with their writing and make me feel what they're feeling.

27. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Well, something tells me you'd draw a bit pile of traffic, Leah. Then again, you could later claim it was for demonstration purposes only. Haha.

28. Mike Roosa June 7, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

No rants for me, but I've only been at this a short time. I do like reading them though! I just don't get too worked up over things that happen or things I see, but maybe one day it will happen.

29. Kaizenvision June 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

Great tips on writing a rant post with conscious awareness!! I love this! It makes sense to write it out uncensored and capture the feeling without publishing it or sending it – then crafting it with poise and purpose.
    I haven't ranted on a blog post yet, I do fear it a bit. Your tips on sculpting the rant with humor, being a spokesperson, having a solution – all very helpful!!!

30. k0zm0zs0ul June 7, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

No major rant posts so far, but I'm sure one looms in my future! lol This is an excellent post on how to express what you're feeling, without disrespecting someone else and losing the respect of your readers. I smell a pillar post! 😉

31. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

Hey, are you accusing this post of being smelly? :) You would write an awesome rant post. I know that baby would be highly tweetable before even reading it. Trouble is, I also know I'd laugh my head off, and that would be painful.

32. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

I love free writing because our real truth always comes out amidst all the cursing and bloviating. I like the word bloviate, by the way, even though it probably isn't a real word :) Anyway, back to my point . . . I'm sure I saw one in here . . . oh yeah, here it is . . . that core truth is the heart of any good rant because that's where we found out which buttons really got pushed. Anyway, you can go first with a rant on your blog, and then I'll take my turn :) I need to get mad about something first though . . .

33. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

Hey, aren't you supposed to be kicking back at the beach or something? :) From what I've seen, you're getting too much stuff done to have time to rant anyway!

34. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Getting things out, clearing the air, letting folks know where we stand . . . those can all be really good things depending on how we let things fly. Thanks for stopping in, Erica.

35. Mike Roosa June 7, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Yes I am supposed to be but it was raining so not able to get out much.

36. bemorewithless June 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

I like to really think through what I say or write, and am generally really calm so I am not a big ranter. That being said, I could have a lot to say when I finally do get annoyed or frustrated. I typically let the anger cool before I take a step, so I really like your suggestion about writing the uncensored specifics while hot under the collar. I may get some good material that way!!

37. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm #

I started doing 'morning pages, (as outlined in Julia Cameron's artist's way) a few years back, and those are all uncensored/free style writing. I tend to be on the calm side too but it's amazing what can pop out on those pages sometimes. Yikes!

38. Angela Artemis June 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm #

Thanks Jean. Glad you enjoyed the interview! I had fun doing it. Hulbert is a great guy. No rants coming on with him!

Now – just want to mention that cat in the photo above – he's looks as if he's about to rant big time!

39. virginbloggernotes June 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

Yeah, that cat looks like he needs to spend some time with Hulbert to chill out :)

40. Angela Artemis June 7, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

You're too funny! That cat needs a quaalude.

41. Dia June 8, 2010 at 12:02 am #

Thanks Jean for this article. I think we all need to rant and vent from time to time. Thanks for the tips

42. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 12:17 am #

You're welcome, Dia. I get most of my venting in these days when I have technology issues :)

43. Hulbert June 8, 2010 at 12:21 am #

Hi Jean, this post was quite funny for me actually. Good job on adding light humor in it. :)

I don't think I've ever encountered a rant with my neighbors, but I did one day start a little rant when I had no idea what to write about in my blog, so I just wrote a blog post on ways to find blog topics when you have no idea what to write about. The title was, “Do Your Blogging Struggles Still Bother You?” It ended up being one of the most popular post for a while!

Anyway, I think reading rants is fun because they are very personal and genuine. But sometimes when their is no message behind the rant or it's too negative, then I will go away from it. Thanks for this Jean!

44. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 12:31 am #

I hopped over and read your article on blogging struggles, and I can see why it was popular. We've sure all been there! I felt sort of strange being in the shower with you though. Haha.

45. Katie Tallo June 8, 2010 at 12:37 am #

For sure, Jean, there's nothing like a good rant. I'm like you, morning pages (Julia-Cameron-style) and the nasty rants get themselves out. I like positive rants — getting fired up and leting my emotions carry me away in a rant-like fashion. It feels really good to write that way and if there's a positive spin, it often ends up hitting home with readers. Great post, Jean.

46. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 1:10 am #

Hi Katie. I call it my 'morning page therapy.' Anything goes :) I don't read my pages until several months later, and it's fascinating to see how my subconscious was working things out, pulling me in a new direction, etc. It's taught me a lot about learning to trust the flow.

47. Kim June 8, 2010 at 3:38 am #

In the short time I've been online, I've enjoyed other's rants and have kept mine to myself. You make fantastic points. I admit, I haven't had the cajones to hit Publish. Oh, my journal holds many stories… 😉

48. Hulbert June 8, 2010 at 4:09 am #

Haha what the…

49. JillianMcCoy June 8, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Hey Jean!

Thanks for the invitation to come post. I'd read this yesterday, but wasn't sure if the plug would be too shameless. I think I'm probably going to wind up with a reputation for ranting, between my new feature at HotBlogTips and trying to contribute at Cantankerous Old Coots. Maybe I should rename myself 5kb*tchin!

Your ideas here are all spot on, and (like so many of your other posts already) I'm sure I'll be using this as a checklist in outbursts to come.

50. Dev | Technshare June 8, 2010 at 8:17 am #

That will be awesome jean ;).

Once again, Thanks for this awesome post jean.

51. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:24 am #

You can always do a little shameless plugging here, Jillian. I'll definitely be following your rants at Hot Blog Tips on Fed up Fridays! You should be really peaceful in your daily life with all this online ranting you're doing :)

52. darrenlcarter June 8, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Haha, great post! I loved hearing about you eavesdropping on grumpy old men in the coffee shop.

As for rants, I tend to try to always show my best self and always project good feelings towards other people. While rants work and feel good for a lot of people it's something I personally try to avoid. (when I do a rant on my blog I'll come back here for a public apology :)) For me I look at everything I do as a choice and given the choice of showing people something good or something bad from myself I try to pull from the good pile.

Enjoyed reading your post!

Peace,
    Darren L Carter

53. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:34 am #

L love reading rants online but I'm a bit of a lurker when it comes to commenting. I got involved in a couple discussions and ended up going back so many times to respond to other points I wasn't getting anything else done. It was fun though :)

54. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Hi Darren. Those grumpy old men would be even grumpier if they knew I was writing about them on here :) I love your 'pulling from the good pile' philosophy!

55. Meg June 8, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Just started catching up with the blogs I follow after two days of going crazy with work and found this one–now I know I should have had the video camera set up yesterday afternoon to record one of my better rants! It would have been blogging gold!!! Probably would have gotten me censored and sued, as well, but hey ;D

Fun post, fun comments from everybody!

56. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

You might have been censored and sued, but we would have had fun watching your rant, I'm sure :) Better keep that video camera handy for the next one!

57. TheInfoPreneur June 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

You are right on the money with this one. This is a great post!
    Every once in a while it is nice to get a rant out and express our frustrations or disapproval with something. But, we've got to be careful not to go overboard as you mention.

PS….I didn't have a chance to get back to you the other day about the “changing categories” comment…but it cracked me up when your response was…”you did such a great job..perhaps you should change them for me”
    Ahhh….300 posts later. :)

58. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Yeah, the offer's still out there on the category thing, Brandon :) Just tuck it into all those spare moments you have these days. Haha.

59. Brandon Connell June 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Good tips. I have a similar issue with regular posts sometimes where I hit submit too early and then have to go in and add/edit something.

60. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I've been known to have to do some after-the-fact editing a time or two myself. Plus, I'm a bit paranoid because I tend to schedule my posts ahead of time and have nearly hit 'publish' by mistake a couple of times. WordPress should really put 'publish' somewhere a bit harder to get at for people like me :)

61. Chania Girl June 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I would dearly love to rant on my blog, as I am (despite the fluffy nature of my blog) a curmudgeonly sort with a hefty dose of snarky in my blood. :) As it stands, though, a few things usually hold me back:

1. My blog isn't about blogging, but about life. And most of my rants would be about blogging, so my readers probably really wouldn't want to read my rant anyways.

2. My blog is about Living Happiness. And while I do think that a happy life includes the full spectrum of emotions, most of my readers haven't signed on for the day to hear me spouting off — no matter how much fun I think it is.

Still, as I leave this comment, I am reminded that I have had a few “mild” rants that readers REALLY liked: “Two Lists” was one of the most recent. “I Can See Clearly Now” is an oldie but goodie.

As for liking to read rants, I love to! Heck, I'll admit it. 😉 But only if they are well-written. I don't like reading badly edited, redundant tirades that make no point.

62. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

Snarky curmudgeons rule! Feel free to come over here and rant any time about blogging – under an assumed identity of course :)

63. rob white June 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Ohhh… I love this Jean. I am intrigued. I never considered publishing a rant but can see the potential. Certainly, I rant enough in private… I think the trick for me would be to 'sleep on it' to make sure it is handled properly. Thanks for putting this on my radar

64. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Hi Rob, thanks for dropping in. Sleeping on it is an excellent idea to see how things look from the morning's perspective. There is always time to put our rants out there, but it's impossible to call our angry words back when we speak in haste.

65. Elana June 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

Hi ! Excited to have been thrown your way by a fellow blogger. Great blog and, t h a n k y o u!
    I think my most recent post could be classified as a type of rant. A subspecies of rant. Anyway, I'm going to read the spank out of your blog.
    Thanks again!

66. John Soares June 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm #

We must decide on a case-by-case basis.

I try to follow the maxim “Focus on what you want rather what you don't want.”

67. Scott Barron June 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

I have to be very careful of my rants. I agree about writing something and waiting a few days. That has saved me a couple times. My mistakes are usually through email though, which can't be taken back!
    The worst is gossiping in an email about someone and accidentally sending them the email!

Jeez, sometimes I can't help myself!

68. k0zm0zs0ul June 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

Lol..who moi? Never! I would never call your post smelly! Now stinky…
    dunno, possible. 😛 I would write an awesome rant post, but I'd definitely
    hate to see your head explode because of it. Not only would that hurt (you
    that is) it'd be terribly messy to boot! And then I'd be messy, cuz my luck
    your head would explode standing near me or something. ;D

69. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

Well, here's hoping I am never the recipient of one of your ranting emails, Scott :) I said something mean about a boss I had one time and sent the email straight to her by mistake. Served me right, really, for talking behind her back. She did forgive my boorish behavior, but 750 pounds of chocolate and half a million dollars do tend to promote forgiveness in most people :)

70. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

Hi John. Yes, some thing are rant-worthy, while others are not. I like to live by the 'focus on what you want' philosophy too. Hmmm, wonder if that could work to get me a piece of cake right now . . .

71. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

72. virginbloggernotes June 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

I hope that blogger didn't throw you very hard, Elena. Haha. I'm going to pop over to your blog to check it out now, but welcome! So glad you've joined us here and do let me know if there's anything special you'd like to see me write about.

73. Manal June 9, 2010 at 12:47 am #

I love your style and sense of humor. I am tempted to rant just so I can use the tips you provided :) I would have to make it a peaceful rant though.

And the cat is sooo pissed off … adorable.

Love your blog.

74. virginbloggernotes June 9, 2010 at 3:31 am #

Hi Manal. I will have to try and come up with some more tips to provoke you into a wild and crazy rant. I would probably pay quite a few dollars to witness it :)

75. Sarah Loewen June 9, 2010 at 4:05 am #

Jean, I love this post and its beru timely for me as my family and those who love and know me are letting me know I am not ranting enough in my blog. They think I am much more emphatic in person and that my writng gets a little… well bland.. so I think you have provided some great guidelines for helping me spice it up a little. Thanks a ton. I'll let you know how it goes. And BTW, the picture of the cat is priceless.

76. Sarah Loewen June 9, 2010 at 4:12 am #

I think I might be leaving this comment twice… but I just wanted to thank you as the feedback I've recieved from fmaily members and loved ones who know me is that I am not ranting enough. They think my writing is bland compared to the real me, so…. I think I'll use your suggestions as a guideline and se how I do. And, I loooove the picture of the cat – too funny

77. virginbloggernotes June 9, 2010 at 5:56 am #

I'll be watching for those family-recommended rants. If you start getting too wild over there we'll have to start calling you Spicy Sarah :)

78. Justin Dupre June 9, 2010 at 9:39 am #

I truly enjoyed reading through this article. I found some tips to be very useful and meaningful. Thanks for sharing.

79. virginbloggernotes June 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Hi Justin. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Glad you liked the post!

80. Peace August 23, 2010 at 1:38 am #

I dont know how to blog?

• Peace August 23, 2010 at 1:39 am #

oh, I think I just worked it out

81. Sandra Lee September 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Oh Jean, I have a rant building! I so needed this advice. I don’t know which way to go with it. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or alienate anyone. So only time will tell.

I love your style so much.
    Sandra Lee recently posted..Sunday reflection- like a flash of ligtening in the sky

82. Packaging Design Delhi May 22, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Nice article,good one :)

1. Calculated risks can make your blog great | Brandon Connell - June 12, 2010

[…] fellow blogger recently talked about another calculated risk about ranting on your blog. You may lose some readers, but you may instead show your readers that you are human too and have […]