How to Turn Life’s Lemons Into Blog Post Lemonade

The weekend before last, I told my family where to go. The trouble is, I gave them the wrong directions.

Fortunately everything turned out great and not just because we eventually arrived at the right destination. No, even though extra miles were traveled and time was lost, my big blunder and the subsequent lessons learned have all the makings of an inspirational yet informative blog post.

We bloggers tend to think of inspiration as being mysterious and ‘out there,’ but the truth is, inspiration usually arrives in the form of a big glob of goo that goes *splat* against the windshield of our lives.

Unfortunately, we’re usually so busy wiping up the mess and cursing the source of the goo that we miss the blog post potential.

Let’s say you just got laid off from your job. Chances are, your first reaction isn’t, “Wheeeeee!!! Now I’ll never run out of things to write about!”

Maybe it should be though . . . .

Now, maybe those readers didn’t just get thunked on the noggin with a big life-lemon like losing a job, but they’ve all lost something. Whether they lost their their favorite sock monkey, their hair, their nerve, or their one true love, they’ve experienced the universal feelings loss–or any life-lemon– brings, like fear, regret, shame, disappointment, sadness, and anger.

And it’s through those universal feelings that you have the potential to make the most powerful connections with your readers.

Here’s how to make it happen:

• Know your lemons. Create four columns in a notebook or computer spreadsheet. In the first column, write down all of the situations in your life you can think of that trigger uncomfortable feelings like stress, overwhelm, fear, embarrassment, etc. Paint vivid pictures as you make your list. Rather than saying, “being unemployed,” write down specific ways being unemployed affects you, such as, “an ever-expanding stack of unopened bills on my kitchen counter.”
  • Acknowledge your feelings. Use the second column to record the emotions these situations bring up, like, “I feel paralyzed and hopeless every time I walk by those bills.
  • Link to your readers. Thinking of your niche and target audience, move to the third column and list circumstances that would trigger similar feelings in your readers. For example, if your blog is about cooking and your target audience is working moms, you might write, “My reader feels paralyzed and hopeless when she comes home from work and everyone’s waiting for her to fix dinner.”
  • Share your lessons and offer solutions to readers. The fourth column is for jotting down notes on things you’ve learned from dealing with your life-lemon that might also bring relief to your reader’s situation. As an example, you might write, “Just as I accepted the fact I need help to deal with my finances, my reader needs to accept she needs help in the kitchen. Some options for getting this help include enlisting her husband or older kids to share the workload or hiring someone a few hours a week to shop and cook.”
  • Mix things up your way. There are many varieties of real-life lemonade and plenty of different pitchers to pour it from, and it’s the same thing with blog post lemonade. Your chart will give you all the ingredients you need for an abundance of inspiring, informative content, but it’s up to you to decide exactly how to use your personal stories and solutions to flavor, sweeten, and blend each post for ultimate reader satisfaction.

Just remember to keep a watch out for incoming, low-flying, goo-splatters at all times, and you’ll never run short of blog post inspiration again :)

Your Turn: Do you use personal challenges and life lessons as material for blog posts?

73 Responses to How to Turn Life’s Lemons Into Blog Post Lemonade

1. Katie Tallo June 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Great post. Love your humour and this line is killer. “Because it’s in moments like these–those times when your world is being shaken and stirred and your human-frailty undies are showing–that you have the greatest ability to write posts that resonate with your readers.” The truth in your world is funny, real and very, very useful to any blogger. You have so much to teach me, Jean. Keep on doing it. I need this kind of poignant advice, daily!! You rock.

2. Dave Rowley June 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

hello Jean,

Oh, i loved this: ” inspiration usually arrives in the form of a big glob of goo that goes *splat* against the windshield of our lives.” so brilliantly put, we always expect inspiration to lower itself down on god tinged clouds accomanied by angelic music. the truth is very different and sometimes we can miss it if we're not careful.

the steps you laid out here are so useful and really got me thinking. thans for the post.

cheers

3. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Hi Katie. I've really had to take my own advice here. When I seek some grandiose idea to write about, I come up empty, but when I examine my own feelings and day-to-day routines, that's where the best material lies. Who knew??? :) Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

4. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Hi Dave. We all have so many ways to connect with others just by telling our own stories. It seems too easy to work, really, but it's powerful stuff! Thanks so much for stopping by.

5. Vince June 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Hi Jean
    This is very good advice, since starting to blog I have begun to look for the grandiose ideas and it does stifle me. When you really think about it life is brim full of content. I do like your humour
    All the best
    Vince

6. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Hi Vince. We make writing a lot harder than it has to be when we start poking around the clouds for ideas. One thing that really helped me figure this is out is when I started looking back at my most popular articles and posts. They've almost always touched on some personal story or challenge.

7. Manal June 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

Jean you are brilliant!
    I just posted something about dealing with adversity because of situation I experienced. So I totally agree with you. What we can learn from our lemons can be shared in a way that can be of value to others.

Well said my friend.

8. Hulbert June 25, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

Hi Jean, I love your positive attitude here. I once interviewed somebody who told me that all struggles can be seen as blessings. We may be experiencing something unfortunate, but we can always write about it and turn it into a great blog post in which others can relate to. I like your tips for showing us how to do that here. Lately most of my blog posts have been about people's personal challenges and life lessons. When I hear them speak, I can relate to them as well and it makes for a good blog post. Thanks for this Jean. :)

9. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Thanks, Hulbert. I do believe that there are blessings inside of every experience, but I sure don't always think of that when something goes *splat* :)

10. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

Hi Manal. I remember trying to convince an Algebra teacher about my brilliance, but he was having none of it :) I can honestly say that my greatest growth and best writing has come through entering challenging situations and coming out the other side. I wouldn't mind an easier way to learn, but in the meantime I sure am glad there's chocolate to get me through :)

11. prolificliving June 25, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

Smart – I think my first reaction to negative events is much like the event, negative. I am working on it I really am. The more I read the writings of you, Katie, Hulbert's interviews, Rob, Amit, Phil, Zengirl, Dragos, Stephen, and many many others of our mutual friends, the more I realize that I can change too, and for the better. Thank you Jean for your clever approach to life's common problems!

12. Sumon Khan June 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Nice Post. I love this !

13. Ian June 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

Nice post Jean. I've just got myself a £150 parking ticket and feel very angry with both myself and the company that will send the fine. I'm sure there's a blog post for my therapy site in there somewhere! This post appeared to be a message to me somehow, maybe about putting things into perspective? Take care, Ian

14. Sally_Neill June 25, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

I love how you write, it's always so descriptive!

I bet I dream about lemons tonight now, can you maybe write about Brad Pitt next time ha ha.

You have basically just described a very good method for understanding your target market.

Once you understand what your readers and / or customers needs and wants are, it so much easier to provide them with exactly what they want.

Sally :)

15. Dia June 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

What a nice list you have here. I like the fourth point you mentioned a lot “Share your lessons and offer solutions to readers” This is one of the most important thing that we should be doing is offering solutions. I believe it is also crucial to use life lessons in our blogs, so we give people value and give them solutions if they have similar situations. Thanks for sharing

16. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm #

My first-blink reaction is normally negative too, Farnoosh. And sometimes so is my 400th-blink reaction :) Seriously, it's gotten easier to put things in perspective and find lessons/blessings faster as I get older . . . maybe because I've had so much practice? :)

17. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

Thank for dropping by Sumon. I appreciate it.

18. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

Oh, I can think of a few good ideas for your site thanks to that parking ticket splat :) There are a lot of people out there who deal with feelings of anger, unfairness, resentment, and all the other goodies a situation like this delivers. Still sorry to hear about your ticket though :(

19. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Hi Sally. I have written about Johnny Depp a few times but nothing on Brad yet. He must be good for blogging though, right? Just have to make the connection and my fingers will be flying across the keyboard :)

20. virginbloggernotes June 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks, Dia. Sometimes we think we don't have anything of real value to offer solutions, but much of our every-day life is made up of solving various problems/finding solutions, and people are interested in these things. Lots of great material that's just waiting to be written into posts!

21. Leah McClellan June 26, 2010 at 2:05 am #

I am so glad I read this when I did. I have no problem coming up with inspiration or post ideas or anything like that–my brain is always buzzing over goo-splatters lol. BUT often it's the focus that eludes me, or is it worth writing about, or what problem can it solve in a reader's life and all that stuff.

So today I wrote out all the thoughts on a topic, for starters, with plans to finish tomorrow. But what's the focus? Then I read this, and thinking on “What might she feel paralyzed about” or what decision might she have to make” turned it right around! It's not really a “lemon” story, from my perspective, but it might very well be a dilemma, at least, for plenty of people or at least a choice to make.

Thank you :) Just the little slant you gave on this gave me a new way of looking at “how can this solve a reader's problem?”

22. Louis June 26, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Your writing abilities is really good. I definitely have lots of life experiences that may be might be worth blogging about. As my subscriber base grows, I think by doing surveys might help to understand what my readers want and expect.

– Louis

23. Kaizenvision June 26, 2010 at 3:22 am #

poitive thinking & abundance both in one post – I love it! It's like two flavors of ice cream in one cone – like choclate and coffee.

“There are many varieties of real-life lemonade and plenty of different pitchers to pour it from, and it’s the same thing with blog post lemonade”

Oh what a way to celebrate the” incoming, low-flying, goo-splatters”

Such a poignant post!

24. James June 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

Reminds me of the song by Meatloaf “Life Is A Lemon,” (And I want my money back).

As the song goes, it's complaining of a bad situation. You can whine about or make opportunity from it. The choice is yours. Theres opportunity in everything.

25. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

My husband is a major league Meatloaf fan, so I could probably sing every word of that song. I'll spare you that though :) Whining is a total waste of time. I still do it sometimes though :(

26. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

Hi Aileen. Two flavors in the same cone is a good idea :) Sometimes the 'dark side' creates such a big cloud in our lives it's hard to see that the sun is still shining behind it, but it's there!

27. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Louis. A survey would be a great way to find out what your readers would like to see you write about. Also, as the number of subscribers grows, you could ask them to write ideas in the comment section too. I've also gotten emails from bloggers asking for input. As long as you're seeking ways to help/connect with readers, you'll do fine in the long run!

28. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Hi Leah. I thought I was the only one who got that “is this worth writing about?” feeling :) I'm glad this helped make things a bit easier for you in the writing department. Now I am looking forward to that post :)

29. Dev | Technshare June 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

Another super awesome Post. I love your writing style. I think it's very important to understand the readers/audiences. Really awesome work Jean. Keep up the awesome work.

~Dev

30. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks, Dev. You always make me smile with your kind words and your picture. Staying close to the feelings/emotions of our readers is a big key to writing success in blogging or in any other form of writing for that matter.

31. prolificliving June 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

I feel better Jean but let's do commit to doing what great advice you give here in this post. At least for a week or a month :)! I promise you I will and every time I do, I think of you :)!

32. Dev | Technshare June 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Jean

That's awesome to hear :P. Thanks for your kind words Jean. I really appreciate it.

33. Karen Ruby June 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

I think that it's very important to think of things in your life as neither negative nor positive. You never know what kind of impact things will have on your life, but you can choose how to look at them. So many people were laid off during the dotcom bust (many of my friends), but rather than taking the time to bemoan their fate, they made decisions that moved them forward in life, such as starting their own businesses, going back to school, traveling, and spending time with those they loved. You get to decide whether to make lemonade or not.

Karen

34. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

Well said, Karen. Things 'are what they are,' and we get to choose our attitudes, as well as our actions. That's a heck of a lot of power!

35. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

Well, if it doesn't work out, we can always spike our lemonade with something :)

36. Kate June 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

Hi Jean, I am forever telling everyone to look for the positive in everything….there is always something even in the worst situations……now I know I was right!!
    Only recently found your blog – like it a lot:)
    Kate

37. virginbloggernotes June 26, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

Hi Kate. I'm glad you found your way here, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Yeah, you can just show this blog post to anyone who disagrees with you about there being a positive side to every situation. That should convince them for sure :)

38. Scott Barron June 27, 2010 at 1:23 am #

To be honest, I'm afraid to use much of my personal life & experiences for my blog. I'm unemployed and for a minute, I pondered the idea of blogging about unemployment.

I changed my mind quickly because I feel it's a temporary situation for me. I'm scared that blogging about it would make it more “permanent” since what we write online can be around forever. I also didn't know how to blog about unemployment after I was employed?

As with life, or any situation, they all don't last forever. How do you transition a blog when the subject is no longer reliant. Or becomes too depressing to talk about. That was another problem for me. Unemployment for example is a depressing enough subject. One I “try” to forget, let alone write about.

Or losing a spouse. Yes, I had a lot to write about the first few months, but that was terribly depressing also!

I know misery loves company, I can attest to that, but misery doesn't have to last forever. I don't want to feel chained to a miserable blog or blog about misery. :-(

39. Family Health June 27, 2010 at 3:22 am #

Fortunately everything turned out great. I like it

40. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 4:34 am #

Your comment reminded me of how some people choose to have blogs where they remain anonymous, and how this works well for people dealing with sensitive issues. I've seen blogs on divorce, health issues, financial problems, etc., where the person can share things and often have quite a community discussion, yet their identity is hidden.

Some of those sites can get downright depressing and downright 'ranty' though. I suppose it's good therapy to share and vent, but it wouldn't be fun for me to keep returning to a site with a negative tone day after day. That said, I know some folks who blog about terminal illnesses, etc., and it can be the most uplifting thing ever because of their approach to it.

With your humor and writing style, I could see you using some of your current experiences as short anecdotes for intros or 'what I learned when . . . ” type posts. But, again, you're the only one who will know when/if the time is right or how much to reveal.

Wonder if 'blogaboutmisery' is still available as a domain name :)

41. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 4:35 am #

Most things do eventually have a way of turning out for the best even though we might not see it for awhile.

42. Elizabeth Jo June 27, 2010 at 5:38 am #

NOTHING is ever a waste of time or miles… When we go on an unexpected detour like this there is ALWAYS a benefit.

My oldest son & I made like 3 trips down to Longmont, CO from Cheyenne, WY. Now, mind you I've been driving past the Longmont exit & to Longmont for 20+ years, but each time we got off too early. What a pretty, laid-back drive it was. We got to see something new each time AND we missed the massive traffic from the 2 main ways into town.

My point EVERY detour in life we can learn something from, see something from a new angle or just something new, & have fun along the way.

Bless~ed Be! & Hugs,
    Elizabeth Jo

43. annahaller June 27, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Jean, these are great tips on mixing our posts up a bit and something that I will utilize to come up with interesting things to write about. I think sometimes we get used to writing a certain way and we become comfortable with that. But just like at times I like to drink sweet lemonade and other times sour lemonade it is always a good idea to mix it up and give our readers a little variety.

That is one thing I must say you are really good at, turning life experiences into interesting blog posts and you relate it so well. Now you have given us an easy way to do it too and for that I thank you!

Anna

44. Keith June 27, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Can't believe it Jean
    I write a post on using similes and metaphors and come over here and read…
    “inspiration usually arrives in the form of a big glob of goo that goes *splat* against the windshield of our lives”.
    What a great word picture.
    Perhaps I'll have to go back and include it in my post.
    Great words, great read.

45. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Your detour sounds beautiful. Years ago I spent a few years on the road as part of a truck-driving team and got out that way a few times. Gorgeous country.

I figure detours happen for a reason, and like you said, why not open our eyes to the 'new' route and see what kind of fun we can have.

46. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Hi Anna, and thanks :) . When you mentioned sweet and sour lemonade, it made me think of how sometimes in our posts, we might not have a lot of 'sweet solutions' for readers because we're still feeling mired in our 'problem.' I think it's good sometimes to serve our blog post lemonade on the sour side in these situations and admit we're still struggling with a situation. Readers will connect with that and will likely be a source of support and ideas too.

47. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Hi Keith. I was going to say that 'great minds think alike,' but with the way my mind works sometimes, you probably don't want to be associated with that :)

48. Abizer June 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

What a lovely post and perfect title for the blog post. I think the lemons are all around us, we just don't know that they are … these can be in the form of one's personal circumstances, people around him / her, work related, fun related, hobby, etc etc.

Along with the post I managed to glance through the comments and discussions … pretty interesting.

Keep it coming ..

Cheers!
    Abizer

49. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Hi Abizer. There's definitely no lemon shortage, is there? Lucky for me, I like the smell of lemons :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

50. timethief June 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

@jean
    I'm loving your blog and your approach to blogging from your own life experience. There's great value in all your posts and this post made me smile. I use a steno pad … and prefer making limeade to lemonade … lol 😉 Have a wonderful weekend.

51. Joe Boyle June 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm #

Maybe it was the combination of this blog post and “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds”, but I felt this post go into a million directions. Great job!

Referencing to The Beatles, always follow a lyric whenever things get bad;
    “Take a sad song and make it better”.

Sulking isn't the right thing to do. Take that sad moment and turn it into something that your readers can relate to, furthermore encouraging a comment from them. Great post!

52. Tia Peterson, BizChickBlogs June 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Hi Jean, I really love this. I don't do this much on BizChickBlogs. I probably should. But one place I WILL definitely be doing it is on a personal blog that I've had for years and have not done anything with in awhile. It's revamped and its about living a life of passion and joy and given as many lemons as I am given on a daily basis, I think this post will really help me connect with an audience going through similar things.

So you'll probably start seeing comments from me from both blogs, as I think your blog is definitely really relevant in both cases.

Cheers,
    Tia

53. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

Limeade = Yum! Blogging is definitely easier and more enjoyable for me when I look for ideas in my own back yard instead of somewhere in outer space :) Hope you're having a great weekend too!

54. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

Hey Joe. I'm going to remember to 'always follow a lyric whenever things get bad.' I'm just not very good at sulking anyway. I'm okay with it for short periods, but then I bore myself :)

55. virginbloggernotes June 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

Hi Tia. It could work on BizChick, but it's definitely perfect for that personal blog of yours. Really looking forward to seeing that!

56. Tia Peterson, BizChickBlogs June 28, 2010 at 12:01 am #

Great! Well it's up at http://www.tiadpeterson.com/ and I really just started it again last week, so I'll be posting more. I'll use @bizchickblogs on Twitter to cross-post the updates while I contemplate getting a separate Twitter account.

57. Scott Barron June 28, 2010 at 12:20 am #

I'm curious…How do you know exactly where your traffic is coming from? You wrote recently about your traffic from Twitter and people spending 6 minutes on your site.

Do you have a magic Jeanie in your employment?

58. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 12:54 am #

Thanks for sharing, Tia. I'll be over for a visit.

Hard to know what to do on the multiple Twitter accounts, isn't it? My head sort of spins just trying to keep up with what I have :)

59. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 12:57 am #

Well, I could tell you that I have super-secret blogging powers, but it's Google Analytics that tells me these fine things. It's totally free and you can see which sites send how many people to your blog, how long these groups stay on the blog, what pages are most popular, how many pages are looked at, and on-and-on to the point that you never get anything done.

60. Scott Barron June 28, 2010 at 3:31 am #

I have the Google webmaster tools, but I haven't found anything like that. What is it listed under?

61. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 3:44 am #

If you type in http://www.google.com/analytics you'll get to the signup page.I can't remember what's involved in the sign-up process, but it can't be too hard if I did it, right?

62. Jeffrey Morgan June 28, 2010 at 5:09 am #

Personal examination is sometimes a painful journey best left in my opinion to a close family member or a therapist. I'm not sure whether I would want to inflict my personal challenges on my readers souls. I'd rather inspire them instead. On that note ……….. you wouldn't need a job as my therapist would you?

63. J.D. Meier June 28, 2010 at 6:12 am #

The title of your post is perfect, and I like the way you re-framed turning life's setbacks into a way forward.

64. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Hi Jeffrey. Say, maybe I could monetize the blog by doing personal therapy sessions? :) I just finished a post to go live in a few minutes that talks more about how much information to reveal on a blog . . . lots of things to think about . . .

65. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

Hi JD. This post pretty much sums up how I live. Accept what is (after throwing a minor fit), learn from it, and share it if it helps someone else. Eating chocolate is in there somewhere too :)

66. Marion_Anderson June 28, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

More great ideas for the newbie blogger. Thank you Jean. I love the idea of the chart and I will have a go with that. I also love your use of humor. I told my family where to go …….. you made me giggle and had me hooked from the start

67. virginbloggernotes June 28, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

Yeah, sometimes we just need to tell our families where to go :) I really did lead us on a goose chase with some wrong directions. Fortunately, there was still plenty of food left at the party by the time we arrived so my life was spared :)

68. Farouk June 30, 2010 at 8:10 am #

Loved your analogy Jean, great post :)

69. virginbloggernotes June 30, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Thanks, Farouk. It was a fun one to write.

70. Madeleine June 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Hi Jean, I second the many comments about your great writing. Like Katie, I especially like the part about “…your human-fraility undies…”

“Do you use personal challenges and life lessons as material for blog posts?” The short answer is yes, I use them every chance I get. In fact, my latest post deals with the challenges of a big life change and loss over this past year. The larger context is the stereotype that–as we age–we become unable or unwilling to change.

71. virginbloggernotes July 1, 2010 at 12:16 am #

Thanks so much, Madeleine. Like most things we really care about, writing is both a challenge and a joy to me. That stereotype about aging seems bizarre to me. I spend so much time with elderly folks and so many are dealing with losing loved ones, independence, and physical abilities, yet they put me to shame with their resiliency of spirit.

72. Elizabeth Jo July 2, 2010 at 2:37 am #

Truck driving is a great way to see the country. Some of my best friends are truckers.

1. The Art of Embracing the Oops Moments - August 19, 2010

[…] How to Turn Life’s Lemons Into Lemonade, as published on Virgin Blogger Notes […]