Sometimes blogging is a real tease. It whispers seductive promises of ‘4-Hour Work Weeks’ and ‘Six Figure-Incomes’ in our ears, and then, when we’re hopelessly, head-over-heels, crazy-wild-in-love with it . . .
Traffic stays flat, subscribers are scarce, and tumbleweeds drift and dance across the comment section.
At times like these, it’s tempting to tell blogging to take a hike.
Still, our gut tells us blogging is ‘the one’ and that if we just hold on long enough, we’ll share a true, deep, and everlasting love.
But how on earth do we hold on when we’re already investing the best of ourselves in this relationship and getting nothing but the silent treatment in return?
We do it by using the same techniques that keep other relationships alive in troubled times.
- Pamper yourself. Give yourself the love you need by practicing top-notch self-care. Nourish your body and spirit with nutritionally dense foods, meditation, exercise, and plenty of restorative sleep.
- Get some space. Step away from blogging for a few hours–or a few days–and feel your energy grow and your perspective shift.
- Help others. One of the best ways to take our minds off our own troubles, is by turning our attention toward others. Rather than stewing about your own stalled relationship with blogging, get out and comment on other blogs and tweet other bloggers’ posts.
- Study relationships that work. Visit popular blogs to learn how these bloggers got through their own hard times with blogging and what they do to keep the relationship alive.
- Shake things up. Sometimes just a tiny change in routine can jolt blogging into showing some love. Experiment with a change in posting frequency by adding or subtracting one or two posts from your normal weekly schedule.
- Show the love. Demonstrate your continuing devotion to blogging with simple, positive actions. Interlink a few posts from your archives, take down that dusty old sidebar ad, or sketch out a guest post.
- Get help. Get outside opinions and support for your relationship by joining a group like the A-List Blogging Club that offers blog reviews and plenty of member support. You don’t have to go it alone!
Developing a thriving, two-way relationship with blogging takes boatloads of patience, passion, and perseverance. It’s natural to want to give up, but you can make things work if you just keep going. Trust that gut feeling you had at the beginning, keep giving blogging your all, and know that one day, blogging truly will love you back.
Your turn: How do you love blogging when it doesn’t love you back?
- 7 Steps to Banish the Blogging Blues
- How to Put the Fun Back Into Blogging
- How to Graduate to Your Next Level of Blogging