Why Bite Size is the Right Size Content

A guest post by John Sherry of realsimplepeople.com.

It’s no secret in the blogosphere that content is king. Great content rules.  Remarkable content, as top blogger, Leo Babuata, of A-List Blogging calls it. Content that solves problems and inspires the audience . . . something that makes the reader feel that the author understands their life and knows their problems as a friend does. Content that makes them feel content.

Like royalty!

Readers become subscribers when you don’t put words in their mouth. When you get inside their heads knowing just what they are thinking, going through or need answers to (unless maybe they are nude skydivers, extreme ironing fans or garlic munching enthusiasts). Beneficial blogging begins with blogging benefits.

But how big should your benefit be? What size captures most eyes?

If content is king, then content size is the crown jewels.

Have you ever thought about your crown jewels? Seriously?

The average blog post of a full time blogger numbers between 750 – 1000 words and is posted around three times a week. Typically, topics are in the list format such as 6 Benefits of Wearing Socks or 10 Techniques for Good Ice Cream Licking or even 3 Secret Keys to Being a Secret Agent (FBI approved).

Also popular are the ‘How To’s’, as in, How To Be a Millionaire By The Weekend and How to Love Your Mother-in-Law When She Doesn’t Love You (a bit of a classic that one (when I get round to writing it!)). Fairly straightforwards, helpful stuff, and generally what readers want.

But all blogs need reading. And that means words. Creating content of around 1000 words per post means a subscriber or regular visitor has to invest the time and desire to take in 3000 words (or mini e-book) per week in their spare time (or work time..naughty, naughty!!). That could prove a bit much. Here’s why:

• Busy, hectic lives means many people have little time to invest in sitting down and reading for long periods, bar flicking through magazines with their pretty pictures and celebrity gossip. They are popular due to their short, punchy, colourful nature
  • Great content equates to meaningful and useful articles. People need a while to take this in, to understand and filter it and then work it into their daily lives. And they have two more that week to read and three more posts to come every week after that. Backlogs build up!
  • It gets repetitive. Posts begin to take on a sameness air and the natural art of scanning a post (whereby a reader casts their eye across text to spot headlines or phrases that appeal to them) turns to boredom instead. The ‘I’ve-seen-it-all-before’ syndrome sets in and they lose interest.

Subscriber numbers can tumble. Readership dwindles. Comments fizzle out. Even spammers start yawning.

But there is a solution that’s worth a king’s ransom.

Bite-size blogging.

Commit to smaller portions on a regular basis. Take your normal number of words or post length and cut them in half. Push yourself to creating fab content in only 400 words. Give the reader something more simple to get their teeth into. Snack style inspiration. Smaller food for thought. A tiny morsel they can take away that still gets their juices flowing.

Why it’s a majestic strategy:

1. Short and sweet is neat. Modern life is quick-on-the-go, so posts that are short, to the point, in-and-out without fuss, and able to be read on a train or during a quick tea break will go down well, as they match peoples’ lives
  2. Easy to do. More compact content will only have room to zero in on one or two tips. That makes their advice easier to try and easier to achieve
  3. More encouraging. Bite-size blogging acts as a comfort zone breaker. It helps people start off due to their simple nature, to build up momentum and feel encouraged. And they will thank you for that.
  4. Challenges you. Reducing blog post length challenges you to be more concise and less wasteful in language. It also demands that you get to the real nugget of any point you want to communicate. It focuses your message

Bite-size is the right size.

In the blogosphere kingdom, readers and subscribers are your loyal subjects. Don’t tax them with confusing content. Set them free from the labour of long passages to enjoy short chunks to chew over with easily digestable dialogue. All for the princely sum of a few hundred less words.

So, if you want to rule the blog world, make regular bite-size content your crowning glory.

Bio: Real Simple Guy, John Sherry writes the simple life blog, Real Simple People. No rejecting modern life. No religous practices or retreats to mountain tops. No daily mantras or meditations at dawn. Just uncomplicated tips for the everyday person on how to simply enjoy life.

79 Responses to Why Bite Size is the Right Size Content

1. Gurl July 23, 2010 at 8:15 am #

Wow, This will open up an interesting debate I bet! I can’t see bite sized posts being anything but filler for me. I do work to eliminate unnecessary parts from posts, but they still end up at least 500 to 600 words in length.

I think good advice for those who prefer to write longer posts would be to use headings and subheadings to break your posts into bite sized chunks to help people be able to scan your work and still get something out of it. It seems to help me, as I am a scanner for the most part.

Excellent post with some great points. Thanks for sharing.
    Gurl recently posted..Site News- Splitting the content

• Jean Sarauer July 23, 2010 at 10:37 am #

Hi Jenn. I’ve run across some fabulous 300-400 words posts. Unfortunately, none of them have been mine :) I seem to need about 700-900 words to tell my tales even after cutting the fluff. Ah well, perhaps I’ll slim down one of these days.

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

Hey Gurl, nice to see you. Longer posts have their place and will never fade but the short stuff can be a quick injection of inspiration. I like my more drawn out posts too but get good responses to my bite size ones. It’s all about balance but I will certainly be down chunking more regularly from now on.
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

2. Asia Bird July 23, 2010 at 8:39 am #

So true! Bite sized and baby steps. It seems so simple, but it’s so effective. You might want to check out Daniel Scocco’s new post about how he used this very idea to tackle a huge writing project: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/procrastinating-to-write-that-huge-article-break-it-down-in-small-parts/

Great Advice!

• Jean Sarauer July 23, 2010 at 10:39 am #

Asia, I loved his idea of bite-sizing the work involved in large projects. I’m doing that with a free ebook I’ll be offering. 20-30 minutes a day is doable!

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Daniel know his stuff Asia so can’t argue there. If the writer only has time and space to write short doable chunks then why can’t the reader be in the same situation with their reading? A little bit for everyone I say.
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

3. Courtney July 23, 2010 at 8:48 am #

I love to read (and write) a short powerful post! Great recommendations John.
    Courtney recently posted..Living With Less- Brett Oblack

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

Courtney, you most certainly do and you may be an expert at it. The last one of yours I read was a particular favourite. Keep biting off less than you can chew!!
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

4. Jonathan Bennett July 23, 2010 at 9:35 am #

I completely agree with the concept of concise writing. I’ve read countless books that were hundreds of pages, full of filler, which could have been condensed into 25% of the size if they kept the good stuff and got rid of the fluff. It’s annoying to read a book like that and it’s no different reading blogs full of fluff!

Some people believe that the longer the article, the more in-depth it is and therefore the better it is. This can be true, sometimes, depending on the subject. Some issues require a very long post to discuss, sometimes many posts, or sometimes even many books! For example, I don’t think rocket science could be contained in a mere 500 words. :)

But far too many people just write too much. Concise writing is an art and takes a lot of skill and time. I’m not impressed by some of even the most popular bloggers who do 4,000 word posts when I see they could have condensed it better.

Even this comment is too long, because I haven’t taken the time to make it concise. 😉

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

You made me laugh there Jonathan, good on ‘ya! True that longer posts purport to offer more but skilled writers can get their point across short enough. I’ve read posts that are over 10 minutes to complete and I didn’t enjoy them as such so the odd downsized 2 minute one is easy to invest in. It’s time v need and in today’s world time wins quite often. Us bloggers need to remember that.
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

• Jonathan Bennett July 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

ProBlogger says that the average reader spends 96 seconds on a blog. I think it’s a good rule of them to write my average blog post in such a way that the reader sees all of the main points within 90 seconds.

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:07 am #

96 seconds! Wow. Fortunately mine hang around longer than that. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand . . but adding ‘reader favorites’ on the sidebar dropped the bounce rate by 17% and upped the time on site by a couple minutes too.

5. Evelyn July 23, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Hi John! Great post!

When I come across a long post, if it doesn’t capture my attention with the headline or the first few sentences, I begin scanning or I bounce.

I think I’m a bite size blogger, but when I have longer posts, I try to cut it down as much as possible.

Great reasons why we should do bite size content. It makes a lot of sense.

P.S. Love the headline of the post..very catchy!
    Evelyn recently posted..Healing Naturally with Living Whole Foods

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Hi Evelyn, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I too like a snappy headline that leads into a bite sized offering. I also find people tend to remember more of this type of post rather than the odd sub-heading on larger ones and they remember where they read it more often too! My subscribers always go up more after shorter posts. Works for me.
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:01 am #

That’s interesting that your subscriber count rises after short posts. Good incentive to try experimenting with this!

6. rob white July 23, 2010 at 10:29 am #

Hi John,
    Yes, the genius is in the simplicity. Saying what you have to say in few words is powerful. As Mark Twain said, “I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”
    rob white recently posted..How to Take Command of the Mind

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Hey there Rob. The “genius is in the simplicity” says it all. I can’t beat that. Maybe the way to look at it is if we spoke for as long as we post, people may have already switched off. Give them a little nugget and then let them have their say. And they do!
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I have minimalist leanings in life, but I’ve yet to bring that to my writing. Might be time to apply the genius of simplicity. Also might be time to swipe that phrase :)

7. S. Ali Myers July 23, 2010 at 11:09 am #

I totally agree. Grant it, there are times when you need to be very word-heavy as to back-up what you are saying, especially if it’s not well-known. But, you have to be straightforward and realize that buff overpowers fluff any day!

Great post!
    S. Ali Myers recently posted..45 Ways You Can Help Change the World

8. Dev - Technshare.com July 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Solid Points John. Really great Post.
    Those are some awesome reasons.
    Thanks for sharing this fantastic Post..!!

~Dev
    Dev – Technshare.com recently posted..Are You Selling Yourself Short? And Eventually Your Blog Too

• John Sherry July 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Many thanks Dev. They work for me. I’m a committed concise content chap. Downsize to bite size is about the size of it.
      John Sherry recently posted..What To Do If You’re Having A Bad Day

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:08 am #

Dev, you already do a great job of this. I know when I go to your site I’ll get good info fast!

9. Alien Ghost July 23, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Hi John,

And I was frustrated because some times it becomes so hard to write something that’s more than 300 words!

Bite size, like mini donuts, “just one more, just one more”, while big, cream filled ones, “I’m full, I can’t finish this thing!”

Thanks for the advice! :)

Raul
    Alien Ghost recently posted..Simplicity

• Jean Sarauer July 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

I’ll take one of those mini donuts please :)

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

Bite size donuts are also the right size. But then again so is any size donut.

10. Meg July 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Couldn’t agree more, John. It’s far better to have short posts with one main point than to make every post a flagship post. Take Seth Godin’s blog–I KNOW those posts are going to be short and sweet, and even when I am short of time I will read them.

When I was a kid, my dad would say to quit making a short story long :}
    Meg recently posted..Making a Difference

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Great point that not every flag needs to be a flagship post. I’m trying to think long-term here and build a library of solid content . . but libraries are filled with books of all different lengths!

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

Good point Meg, very good point! When I was younger there were short story competitions everywhere and I even entered one to tell a story in 55 words! It’s helpful to see blog posts as shorter stories than normal, get that into your head and then write accordingly. Short story, shorter blog, bigger benefits. Thanks for the reminder.

11. Joanne Keevers July 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

Hi John,

Sounds like you’ve made things ‘real simple’ for a lot of bloggers here, by taking the pressure away of feeling obligated to come up with a mini ebook three times a week. Whew! :)

Just one question, if the rule of thumb has been 750-1000 words posts, three times a week, do you recommend shorter posts on a more regular basis?
    Joanne Keevers recently posted..A Local Discovery

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:13 am #

John will likely drop in after the weekend to answer this, but I don’t think it’s necessary to post on a more regular basis, Joanne. You could test it out though . . . look at analytics before and then after a week or two of posting more frequently. Some people swear by more frequent posting. I tend to swear at it :)

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Hey Joanne, as Jean said, here I am right on cue! For me I try to write one shorter blog once every 5 or 6 posts and am moving towards 1 per week being short. My feedback has been readers like it but not all the time so I think the balance is about right but it depends on your subject. So long as you encorporate bite size posts more regularly I think it will show a difference and open up potentially another supply of readers.

12. Farnoosh July 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Jean, the epic blogger here, how are you? 😉
    You are going to be so proud of me for my next post – I have taken an exercise of brevity and telling my story through photos – a challenge from my hubby and while it took lots of work to get the photos done, it will be faster on my dear readers…..:)!
    Thank you for another amazing way that you changed my perspective about an idea about which I already had a decided position! How on earth do you do it? :)
    Farnoosh recently posted..The Amazon Kindle- Expand Beyond the Printed Word

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:15 am #

Hello Farnoosh. No trip to the spam bin for you this time around. Really looking forward to seeing your photo post! You have a such a wonderful husband – filled with great ideas and a fabulous cook, too! I would like to take credit for this grand idea and post, but it’s all thanks to John.

13. Preeti @ Heart and Mind July 24, 2010 at 12:11 am #

John,

I think longer posts have its place too, Glen at Viper Chill and Steve Pavlina both write really long but extremely helpful articles and people read it. I think for rest of us (actually I mean myself) 500-800 words seems to fit fine, not too short and not too long.

I think there is readers for all content, short and long both, internet has made it so diverse. But one Leo says is true, content is king, Opps I mean content is the queen!

• Jonathan July 24, 2010 at 1:02 am #

Glen and Steve are two great examples. I actually thought of Steve originally when I read this post.

Glen’s in-depth posts are fantastic. Same goes for Steve’s in-depth articles, though I do think he has some occasional fluff thrown in as well. In my opinion it can be challenging to avoid this when writing about personal development, which often has concepts that feel repetitive (at least to me).

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:18 am #

Hi Preeti. Your posts always seem to be a good length to me. I want to keep reading all the way to the end, so that’s a good sign!

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

Yes agreed Preeti. As I said in the post to try and post shorter bite size more often i.e. not to stop your normal length of post but to actually include smaller chunk ones too. Re-sizing to bite sizing as part of normal blogging with longer posts gives all readers a variety that will appeal. Your current length sounds spot on but do try smaller ones to expand what you offer now and again.

14. Rotem July 24, 2010 at 2:19 am #

Believe it or not, just this morning I got to this realization myself. I was thinking about the fact that my “main posts” are very long and that might be the reason I don’t get the results I’m hoping for. Plus – I noticed that Ray Edwards has started posting really short posts, and there are more recent examples of this, so yes, absolutely – people’s attention span is declining rapidly…and the answer is to create very short and focused content, not just articles, but videos as well.
    Rotem recently posted..Healthy Snack in Minutes video

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:19 am #

Glad you mentioned videos, Rotem. I’ve heard that 1-3 minutes is the maximum length for most effective videos, and that it’s better to be on the low end of that range.

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Rotem, welcome to the bite size revolution! It’s not about longer posts suddenly being shortened to me, but bite size posts acting as a lead-in or taster to the longer ones. A subtle conversion tool that works well. All about attention span as you wonderfully observe.

15. Alex July 24, 2010 at 6:57 am #

I really love the title I have to say John :) .
    Ok now that that is out of the way I have to say that this post, although ringing very true certainly stung a little because I have this inability to write a post that is less than 100 words. I have seen my doctor about it but apparently there is nothing they can do for me.
    I have tried writing short posts, I even wrote one that started ‘this is going to be a quick post’ and it was 1400 words long!
    My readers like it ( I think?) so I am not about to change, but I will certainly keep some of these points in mind in my never ending battle with longpostenitus.

Alex recently posted..Article Marketing – Part 1 What’s a Search Engine

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:21 am #

I think they have vaccines for longpostenitus, Alex :)

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

Hi Alex, glad you like it! As for the short stuff it sounds like you’ve got lots to say which is a positive. But your condition longpostenitus is known to be quite painful as it can bruise the ego, swell the head, and make people write incoherently. The good news is it’s curable with bite size tonic. Be well!

16. Karen July 24, 2010 at 10:19 am #

Hi John and Jean,

You bring up a good point about people being so busy that they only have time for (or can take in) the shorter articles sometimes. As a writer, I do feel that I provide better value when I write longer articles that are full of helpful and descriptive information, but that’s just me being the writer of the article. I should put my ‘reader’ hat on and see if I want to read such lengthy prose. Hmmm, maybe a combination of short, mid-length, and longer articles will satisfy both camps? I do know that some of my shorter articles have received great feedback, while some of my longer articles that I slaved over, didn’t.

Karen
    Karen recently posted..Small Ways To Make A Big Difference

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 10:23 am #

I vote for the mix, Karen. As a reader, I like variety, and I think it makes writing more interesting too. Now, I need to challenge myself to writing a shorter post or two!

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Karen you make some very wise comments when you talk about being the reader not the writer. I used to forget the audience and write what I wanted when I had a magazine column. Trouble is it wasn’t what readers liked. Now I think, ‘How best would they like this?’, which includes quality of content, length of content and simple langauge within the content. As I said it’s about them feeling content with my content. And with bite size they are.

17. Sire July 24, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

There’s been a lot of posts covering this topic and there have been those in favor of small posts and those in favor of larger posts. Personally I agree with you but not only because I think smaller posts are best. I’ve noticed that some bloggers who try to swamp their reader with information tend to waffle on a bit. The post becomes boring and I tend to drift off. I rarely leave a comment on those posts.

They would have been better splitting that post up into bite size portions.
    Sire recently posted..Applying SEO To Your Category Pages

• Jean Sarauer July 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

Sire, from now on when I’m writing a longish post I’m going to ask myself, “Jean, are you waffling on a bit?” I love that phrase! I think I’m going to quit writing posts and just start pasting up brilliant sayings from the commenters.

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Sire I hope you found this a waffle free zone with bite size portions of positivity?

18. Karen July 24, 2010 at 9:38 pm #

This is a very interesting way of looking at it. I guess you have to sell the sizzle and they will eat the steak.

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

So long as there’a not too much at steak Karen otherwise your readers will say sirloin for now and be off somewhere else. Less meaty posts are a great diet for happy readers!

• Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

John, you totally crack me up :) I suppose it’s a bad time to mention I’m a vegetarian?

19. Leah McClellan July 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm #

Good post John! I thought it was Jean–you two have a very similar sense of humor! At some certain points, though, something sounded a tad odd, like your bio lol

I have a mixed opinion: I really enjoy the longish posts some big bloggers write (and those of some lesser-known bloggers). I fizzle on others, though, no matter how popular they are. But it’s not the length so much; it’s that the subject matter doesn’t really interest me. If I’m interested, I don’t mind spending 3-4 minutes to read 1200 words, or whatever. Any more than that and it had better be really good.

It can depend on the subject, too, and so many things.

Good job :)
    Leah McClellan recently posted..Men Get the Short End of the Stick- 10 Common Assumptions

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

Leah, don’t you know that we are the same person? I was really over the moon to guest post by Jean as her sense of humour cracks me up and she’s got a wicked way of looking at things (don’t you Jean?).

If you can read 1200 words in 3-4 mins then you are a speed reader for sure. Bite size allows those who digest things a bit less quickly to be involved too. I like smorgasbord posting – a little bit for everyone. Yum yum!!

• Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Yes, I suppose it is time to come clean and confess that Jean and John are the same person. Okay, not really, but if you put the both of us together, you might end up with a full deck :)

20. Manal July 25, 2010 at 12:28 am #

John,
    This is a simple but not easy challenge. I was thinking about the length of my posts and thought of cutting down a bit. Your brilliant article came in the right time. It’s on :)
    Manal recently posted..How to Get Back Into The Groove of Life

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Hi Manal, great that it confirmed your thoughts. Cutting down a bit is expanding your skills and posts a lot. You’ll be a brilliant bite sizer!

• Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

Manal, I love your posts whether short or long! But good luck on the challenge of writing shorter ones. I was going to do that on my post for tomorrow and already the thing is complaining about my nips and tucks.

21. Blog Angel a.k.a. Joella July 25, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Smaller post size does have it’s benefits. However, sometimes a post has no choice, it won’t succeed if it’s too short.

For instance tutorials need to be thorough and trying to abbreviate them is likely to make them ineffective and frustrating to the reader.

When a topic is long then the right choice is to write it in series. Chopping it up into smaller easier to digest pieces. Thus helping to keep the readers interest and giving them a reason to return.

Overall I agree with you, smaller easier to read posts can be beneficial. But sometimes I’ll visit a blog and the post is short, but not so sweet. It’s short not only on words, but information.

If you introduce me to an idea or topic and don’t provide me with enough information to be able to utilize it, I’m going to get frustrated and not come back.

So post size is relevant to what you are attempting to achieve. You have to apply some common sense. And sharpen your writing skills so your writing is succinct and efficient.
    Blog Angel a.k.a. Joella recently posted..Tab Candy For Firefox Makes Browsing Sweet

• John Sherry July 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Howdy Joella. Bite sizing requires planning as with all posts. Think ahead, have a subject matter in mind and what points you want to get across. Consider posts that would fit a shorter length and slip them into a regular posting strategy should prove valuable. It’s not one or the other i.e. short or long. It’s a good mix of all types I believe works wonders but with bite size a constant content driver.

• Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

I love the mix-it-concept. It’s great for readers and for our creativity too.

22. Madeleine Kolb July 25, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

Posts can definitely get too long. (I think I wrote one that was too long once.)

But, as with so many things in life, the answer to the question about post length is “It depends.” When I write about topics, such as Alzheimer’s Disease or Type 2 diabetes, I need to give some background. I’ve been using Apture to link to news articles or other sources of background information for those posts. That way, if the reader wants more info. it’s there. And if he doesn’t want it, he can skip it.
    Madeleine Kolb recently posted..Medical Myths That Can Kill You

• Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm #

I think I’ve written one that was too long about 55 times Madeleine, so don’t feel bad :) You’re right that the medical posts need background information, and Apture is a great way to make that available.

• John Sherry July 26, 2010 at 6:40 am #

Too true Madeleine that it depends but why not depend on a shorter montage of posts now and again too as part of your blogging diet? A little bit of everything is good for you.

23. Jean Sarauer July 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

John, you have started quite a party here. How fun! Thanks for this fabulous post and for being so active and engaged with us in the comment section. Do come back again!

• John Sherry July 26, 2010 at 6:42 am #

Jean it’s been such a blast to guest for your first class blog. I’ve loved every minute and word of it. You have such a vibrant community here and long may it continue. Jean, you rock! And thank you for letting me come back to play again, I will bring my own ball too!

24. Aileen July 25, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

Great Guest Jean :)

John, I love your suggestion for bit sized posts.
    I’m a fan of the mix – some longer, some shorter – variety.
    Aileen recently posted..You are Powerful Beyond Belief

• John Sherry July 26, 2010 at 6:44 am #

Aileen, I just knew. Something told me you were short and sweet soul. Variety is the spice of life and the space of blogging as well. Lots of love from the hunk with the chunks :)

• Jean Sarauer July 26, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

John rocks :)

25. Ricardo Bueno July 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

I think that short and sweet is best! People read a lot on a day-to-day. They skim content (I know I do). When I write, I tend to have one point, and stick to it. The more I wonder around writing about this or that, the more likely my reader is to lose interest (or at least that’s the way I see it).

I know that there are few articles I read completely from beginning to end (especially the long ones). And especially if they’re posted daily!!
    Ricardo Bueno recently posted..Why Intelligent People Fail

• Jean Sarauer July 26, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

Ideally, we’ll grow to have laser-like focus on our main point when we write. Sometimes I find my words twisting around like a pig’s tail :(

26. bendedspoon August 12, 2010 at 1:10 am #

glad to stumble upon your notes
    so many great and valuable posts
    as a virgin blogger these are great finds
    though i hope a pro will critic my site :)

i do serve bite size servings
    to amuse the mind for a while
    and hoping for that one smile
    when they realize,’It’s worth a try’ :)

1. Shorter posts, smaller steps « Transcending - August 6, 2010

[…] John Sherry points in a guest post on Virgin Blogger Notes, ‘Why Bite Size is the right right size content’, it’s a lot to ask of readers if we are posting 2-3 posts a week of 1,000 words. It’s […]

2. I contain multitudes « Transcending - August 13, 2010

[…] seemed to totally contradict what I had just read from John Sherry in his guest post, Why bite size is the right size content’ at Virgin Blogger Notes and what I’d written about. But I believe what Jonathan Morrow wrote […]