9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

A while back, I lost my creative groove. It happened when I was cranking out the second draft of a mystery novel. I’d sit down to write, stare at the page, and . . .

nothing.

This went on for days, until I finally resorted to trying out some, ‘Guaranteed to Ignite Your Creativity Tips’ from a web site.

Still nothing.

One day, I was at the grocery store, focused on filling my list and making a speedy exit. I pulled my cart over to grab some green peppers, and a surge of energy passed through me. A voice from somewhere deep inside said, “Look at those beautiful orange and red peppers! Get a couple of those too!

At that price? No way!” I dismissed the idea, as I bagged the green ones and headed towards the checkout lane.

I was halfway home before I realized what had happened.

Creativity had spoken to me, and I’d squashed it like a bug.

The truth is, most of us treat creativity like it’s an old coat to slip on when its time to write a blog post. Then, when we’re done with it, we shrug it off and dump it into a corner.

In reality, creativity is part of who we are. When we treat it badly, it’s elusive and shy, but when we honor it and weave its threads throughout the fabric of our lives, it’s automatically with us when we sit down to write.

Fortunately, there are many easy ways to strengthen our creative spirits, and I’ve shared some of them below. Just remember that these aren’t straws to grab out of a hat when you’re in a creative bind. No, these ideas and practices are meant to be tested and tweaked as part of a broader creative life:

1. Have play dates. No one wants to work all the time, and creativity is no exception. Rather than trying to cram creativity into blogs posts all of the time, give it regular play time by journaling or free writing with no outcome in mind.
  2. Tune into tunes Rather than just listening to whatever is popular, open up to the wide world of musical options. Pay attention to everything that draws you, including things like a beautiful guitar or the wild dreadlocks of a reggae artist. Your creative spirit just may be nudging you to sign up for guitar lessons or sending a message that it’s time to let your physical or creative hair grow wild.
  3. Honor the temple. Make your body worthy of your creative spirit. Try eating a lighter plant-based diet, upping your water intake, and getting regular physical exercise for a few weeks and watch your creativity grow.
  4. Get outdoors. I don’t understand the connection between creativity and nature, but it’s strong and undeniable. When I sit under a canopy of stars on a dark night, stare into the glowing embers of a campfire, or feel autumn leaves crunching under my feet, my creative spirit practically bursts from my body. Feed your creativity regularly by getting outdoors and engaging all your senses to soak up the experience.
  5. Let it rest. I rest my creativity by doing ‘non-creative’ tasks like weeding the garden, cleaning house, or folding laundry. The funny thing is, when I do these mundane chores, creativity acts like a kid who doesn’t want to take a nap by popping up with all sorts of innovative blogging ideas.
  6. Kick the clutter. Creativity generally does best in uncluttered mental and physical spaces. Although I fall off the wagon regularly, I always get a creativity boost when I spend regular time in meditation, as well as when I devote time each day to uncluttering our home.
  7. Make stuff. When I make things with my hands–whether I’m baking bread, laying tile, or building a bookcase–creativity fires on all cylinders. As I include more of these activities in my daily life, creativity stays in the foreground of life rather than hiding in the shadows.
  8. Color your world. Color is the language of creativity. When I bring colorful flowers into my work space, wear a bright red shirt, or enjoy lush green summer scenery, my creative voice grows louder. Listen to your creative voice when it sends you hints about its favorite colors, and be sure to add these shades and hues to your surroundings.
  9. Shake things up. Our creative spirits easily grow restless and bored. Stimulate your creativity by varying post length and style, taking different routes when running errands, and challenging yourself to learn new skills.

Getting your creative groove back definitely makes blogging a whole lot easier, but there’s so much more to it than that. When we invite creativity into all life areas, everything looks and feels so much more vibrant and rich that life starts to feel like one big canvass we can paint any way we choose.

And really, that’s what it is.

Your turn: How do you get your creative groove back?

Related Posts:

62 Responses to 9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back
  1. Dev - Technshare.com
    July 26, 2010 | 6:56 am

Another amazing Post.

“Rather than just listening to whatever is popular, open up to the wide world of musical options. Pay attention to everything that draws you, including things like a beautiful guitar or the wild dreadlocks of a reggae artist. Your creative spirit just may be nudging you to sign up for guitar lessons or sending a message that it’s time to let your physical or creative hair grow wild.”

I love this one :D!! Really Awesome !!! .

Thanks for sharing this great Post Jean :). Keep up the good work.

~Dev
    Dev – Technshare.com recently posted..Find Out How You Can Reap Millions In Internet Revenues Part 1

July 26, 2010 | 10:02 am

Hi Dev. Always good to see you here. Now that I’ve learned to tune into my creative voice more, I do get quite a few messages to let my creative hair grow wild :)

2. Carolina
    July 26, 2010 | 9:11 am

GREAT post. I feel so creative when I scrapbook, knit, write, exercise, and try something new. The other day, I took a trapeze flying class. I was scared – but it opened up my mind to a different type of flying, if you know what I mean. :)

July 26, 2010 | 10:03 am

Wow, a trapeze class! That’s amazing. I’d be scared too, but I bet it’s exhilarating once a person gets past the sheer terror :)

3. Evelyn
    July 26, 2010 | 9:12 am

I love how you included eating a lighter plant-based meals. Mind kind of lady! :)

I tend to get my creative groove back by stepping away and taking a break. Sometimes, that means I don’t post regularly, but it helps me re-charge my creativity.

Great pointers, Jean!
    Evelyn recently posted..10 Ways You Can Improve Your Health

July 26, 2010 | 10:04 am

Hi Evelyn. Taking breaks is hugely important to creativity. Good point! I’m finding that the healthier I eat, the more the ideas flow. There’s a lightness of spirit that seems to come with eating lighter for me. Funny how that works :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

4. Karen
    July 26, 2010 | 9:44 am

I didn’t know you wrote fiction, too. Of course that makes sense with your wonderfully imaginative articles here :-)

When I’m feeling stuck for creativity, I like to go to the toy section of a store and check out the latest toys. It’s amazing what they have for kids these days. Looking at all the crafty stuff and, especially the Crayola section, always gets me thinking of ways that I can be creative, too. Sometimes, I give in to temptation and buy something too to bring home and play with :-) I like to make things with my hands, too, and it can certainly give you not only a sense of accomplishment, it can also release your imagination.

July 26, 2010 | 10:07 am

Hi Karen. I’ve always loved telling tall tales :) My first published works (on a national scale) were short stories–those were mainly written back in my truck driving days. I haven’t taken a walk through a toy section lately but need to soon for a birthday gift. Thanks to your comment, I’ll stay open for creative inspiration!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

5. Jake LaCaze
    July 26, 2010 | 10:00 am

I’ve been out of my groove more than I’ve been in it lately. Thanks for the interesting ideas!

6. Angela Artemis
    July 26, 2010 | 11:07 am

I loved this post, but when don’t I ever not like your posts?

I love that you heard that “voice” that told you to get the peppers. I’m ALL for hearing voices, as you well know especially if it’s the voice of your intuition!

Seriously, great advice. Getting outdoors, enjoying nature, playing, using color, etc. Wonderful – all the things I know I should be doing, but I’m not! Thanks for remind me.
    Angela Artemis recently posted..Learn to Listen To Your Intuition and Never Miss An Opportunity Again!

July 26, 2010 | 11:24 am

Hi Angela. It’s funny how easy it is to dismiss those inner nudges if we don’t pay attention. I’m finding I have to be super-intentional about getting outdoor time and doing other things to care for my creative spirit. Life gets busy and it’s so easy to let the important things slide.
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

7. Kate
    July 26, 2010 | 11:33 am

Couldn’t agree more about nature, whenever I’m stuck I go for a looooooong walk somewhere green (and preferable with no other people about!) and I’m usually inspired. Mind you then I have no notebook or phone so have to find a way to remember all those ideas:)
    I think if you try to force it, or just stare at a blinking cursor and a blank screen you are doomed!

July 26, 2010 | 11:49 am

I’m usually out in nature with no means of recording too, Kate. I vow to carry a small notebook with me but rarely remember. I’ve definitely have felt that doom of the blinking cursor many times, by the way :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

8. SBA
    July 26, 2010 | 11:33 am

For me, it’s all about #9 – stimulating your creativity. Very easy to get in a ‘same-old-thing’ groove and churn out the product. Recently I tackled the challenge of video recording from the computer screen. So you guessed it, I’ll be publishing some different tutorials!

Learning a new skill makes you think in a different way and surprise yourself. Thanks for the list, I’m going to try a few others.
    SBA recently posted..Preparing to Move from Blogger to WordPress – Get a Domain Name

9. John Sherry
    July 26, 2010 | 12:33 pm

And you do it again Jean. Went and topped your last mega post. Gosh you’re good.

I’m a creative juicer who likes to put oodles of options into the mix then blend ‘em all together and see what comes out. I love your honor the temple cause my body isn’t a temple it’s more a leisure centre. Duly told!

Let me add ‘Be a World Watcher’. Get out and about and watch people, animals, buildings, anything. You will be amazed what ideas pop in as you look in your neighbours windows while they eat their evening meal (only joking….breakfast is better!). Life is out there so be out there too and simply watch. Like a TV nature programme just with humans! You’ll soon get your roar back.
    John Sherry recently posted..The True Path To Simple Living

July 26, 2010 | 12:41 pm

Haha . . . your body is a leisure center. That’s awesome, John. I’m an observer too. I’m done talking about your body, by the way :) I love to take a notebook to the mall food court and sit back and take in the sights, sounds, and smells. Fun times :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back

10. rob white
    July 26, 2010 | 12:34 pm

It is so interesting that the best way to be creative is to stop trying to be creative. When we let go and get out of the way we allow infinite intelligence to flow through us. The infinite is always talking to us… learning how to listen is the challenge.

I love the discussion here.
    rob white recently posted..Stop Pushing Money Away

11. Ricardo Bueno
    July 26, 2010 | 5:18 pm

One of the first things I do every morning is open my window browser and open Pandora (I have a couple of different stations that I like). I do this before checking email in fact. I listen to music for about 15 minutes before I get started on everything else. For me, it’s relaxing, it wakes me up and it gets me in the mood to tackle the day.

I’d say that there are three main things that get my creative spirits going:

- Music,
    - Clean work-space,
    - And disconnecting for the sake of reconnecting with myself (this happens by a nice walk on the beach.
    Ricardo Bueno recently posted..Why Intelligent People Fail

July 26, 2010 | 6:45 pm

That sounds like a wonderful way to start your day, Ricardo! Music can really stir the creative fire inside me too. Love the sound of those beach walks . . .

12. Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot
    July 26, 2010 | 6:07 pm

Love this, I think it’s true, we do often cast creativity to one side because we don’t have the time, money or practical experience. Great to know that we just have to go for it with whatever we do have and the more we create the more creative we become:)
    Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot recently posted..Are You Shipping Your Ideas Successfully

July 26, 2010 | 6:47 pm

Hi Annabel. In my case I’ve found that creativity is a ‘use-it-or-lose-it sort of thing.’ Not that it’s ever truly lost, but it sure does go dormant!

13. Hulbert Lee
    July 26, 2010 | 7:53 pm

So many awesome analogies in here. No wonder you’re a writer.

“…Creativity had spoken to me, and I’d squashed it like a bug.”

“The truth is, most of us treat creativity like it’s an old coat to slip on…”

This was a cool blog post. I do agree that in order to get more creative ideas, it’s a good idea to get outside the house.

I try to spend at least one hour a day going to the park and shooting hoops until I feel at peace. The park is very beautiful, with tall green trees, children playing in the playground, adults having a picnic, and usually sunny weather.

Ironically, when I don’t focus on trying to create an idea, ideas come to me. I think this is a process that we should all be more aware of when it comes to thinking more creatively.

Thanks Jean. :)

July 26, 2010 | 9:58 pm

The park sounds awesome, Hulbert. Getting physical activity in a beautiful place like that is a winning situation all the way around. I snuck out for some gardening this afternoon, and later on I just sat outside and watched the clouds for a long while. I can literally feel my inner batteries recharge when I allow myself to get outside and just ‘be.’

14. Jessica
    July 26, 2010 | 9:19 pm

Jean – I’m ready for a play date! Bring on the brainstorms.
    Jessica recently posted..Let the Google love begin…

July 26, 2010 | 9:59 pm

Play dates are good :) And I’ve got an extra large order of brainstorms coming up!

15. Alien Ghost
    July 26, 2010 | 9:24 pm

Hi jean,

Thank you for the very nice list of things to practice and try to get creativity running, I definitely can use several of those :)

What I use is mostly two ways;

-Get out and take a walk in the open to breathe and see nature, and creativity starts flourishing by itself.

-Forget about creating and concentrate and all the other stuff that has to be done, and creativity revels and pushes its way out.

As you mention, tips on what to do has to be tried and tinkered with accordingly to get the best personal results.

Thanks for all this valuable information :)

Raul
    Alien Ghost recently posted..Don’t Say Sorry!

July 26, 2010 | 10:01 pm

Hi Raul. Walking in a natural setting seems to be a trigger for creativity for me too. Especially if I let myself just sort of ramble and don’t hurry along.

Have fun tinkering :)

16. Steve Scott Site
    July 26, 2010 | 9:43 pm

A very nice post on how to get the creative juices flowing and keep them going. There is no worse feeling than staring at that blinking cursor and not having a clue as to what to say next.

I have two main things I do to keep myself creative. I have vast collections of outlines of future ideas. If one idea bottles me up, I try a different topic, often when my mind is free on something else, inspiration will hit me on the original topic.

The other is close to what you said. I am a runner and I really love to go out for a jog. I often get inspiration on these runs.

I said two, but a third hit me….carry a notepad with you everywhere. You never know when an idea will strike you. I have scribbled out a quite a few ideas at stoplights.

Steve
    Steve Scott Site recently posted..The Secrets to Long-Term Blogging Success Part 14

July 26, 2010 | 10:07 pm

Hi Steve. Yes, the much-dreaded blinking cursor and I have spent plenty of time together :)

That’s a great idea to switch topics if you feel stuck on something. Sitting there and trying to force things is a recipe for frustration. And writing is supposed to be fun–not frustrating!

Thanks so much for stopping by.

17. Preeti @ Heart and Mind
    July 26, 2010 | 11:25 pm

A fiction writer too? Unique career choices too, you have so many wonderful talents and I am glad I am getting to see your wonderful and creative writing here.

Next time, if beautiful oranges and red pepper talk to me, I will listen! and talk back to them! Thank you.

July 27, 2010 | 9:57 am

Hi Preeti. Yes, I like to write a little bit of everything. Variety is the spice of life :)

18. Sandra Lee
    July 27, 2010 | 12:39 am

I am so amazed by how prolific you have been of late. You are everywhere! :)

I don’t think of myself as a creative person at all, but my writing just flows out. I have more trouble damming it up so I can have a quiet mind at times!

I resonated with #5 as I find doing ordinary tasks like gardening gives my head space and that seems good all around.

I would love to discover other traditional creative aspects within myself. All the best to you.
    Sandra Lee recently posted..101 rays of gratitude

July 27, 2010 | 9:58 am

Hi Sandra. I do tend to get around :) I love the sound of that writing just flowing out of you. That’s creativity at its best.

19. farouk
    July 27, 2010 | 1:30 am

good tips, i really need some of them :)
    farouk recently posted..Response cached until Wed 28 @ 7:25 GMT (Refreshes in 23.92 Hours)

July 27, 2010 | 9:58 am

Thanks, Farouk.

20. Dianna
    July 27, 2010 | 6:48 am

Some great tips here. Personally when my creativity needs a refill, I like to engage in other peoples’ stories-books, movies, even video games.

Out of your nine ways, my personal favourite is to get outdoors. I live in the city, but I live near some really nice parks and nature really is a great inspiration.

Thanks for the fantastic post.

July 27, 2010 | 10:00 am

Hi Dianna. Movies can be a springboard for my creativity too. It’s hard to jot down my notes in a dark theater though :)

21. Laura
    July 27, 2010 | 7:00 am

Great tips for me to try at home! I too am looking forward to a playdate… that really intrigued me!

I find that a “change in scenery” helps me often. When I’m trying to work at home I get distracted so easily by other things to do… clean, play with the cats, laundry… whatever. Going to the library, a bookstore, a coffeshop, etc. really helps me get going as I don’t have those “should be doing” distractions.

I also find that I get more creative ideas when I’m on vacation…no television, no people about, just me and my computer screen (so I guess that would be a working vacation) There’s something about a room with an ocean view that really makes my creativity come alive. :)

July 27, 2010 | 10:02 am

Hi Laura. Oh wow, can I ever relate to those ‘should be doing’ distractions. Even though I’ve gotten fairly good at not giving in to them, I still notice them sucking my mental energy sometimes. Wish I was on one of those vacations you’re talking about–sounds heavenly :)

22. Alex
    July 27, 2010 | 7:32 am

10. Read Jean Saraurer.

I am not going to start quoting parts of this post because quite frankly it’s all brilliant.
    (I’ve written and deleted something here eight times now) I can’t think of something to say to justify how incredible this post is, yes the list is a really good resource, but it’s the way you constructed it, and the metaphors you wove, and the analogy you seem to live in that makes everything more tangible and easy to digest.

Now I’m off to the dry cleaners to get my creative coat cleaned, I know my ideas have been a little moth bally of late…

Thanks Jean, you’re amazing.

PS: If this is how you have always written – I would love to read your books, where can I purchase them?
    Alex recently posted..How do you Squidoo

July 27, 2010 | 10:04 am

Hi Alex. You’re making me blush a little here :) Alas, no finished books as of yet. Just three neglected manuscripts waiting for my attention. They curse the day I started blogging :)

23. Joe Wilner
    July 27, 2010 | 11:27 am

It can be very frustrating when creativity elludes us. You provide some great advice to stay inspired and get our creative juices flowing. I try to just change my focus and think of something else, or simply relax. This seems to let my insight work more freely. Thanks!

July 27, 2010 | 4:37 pm

Relaxing is so important, Joe. When we get all tensed up it’s like nothing can flow through us. It’s like we have a clog :)

24. Aileen
    July 27, 2010 | 11:47 am

Listening to different music and sounds really work for me so I’m a fan of your # 2 “Tune into tunes” also just doing something a little different and being away from trying to get into creative mode – much like #4 & #5
    – it’s when I’m out and about that creativity is singing, very seldom when does she sing when I’m sitting still trying to create something. :)
    Aileen recently posted..Life Lessons to My Younger Self

July 27, 2010 | 4:23 pm

Hi Aileen. It’s hard to trust the process and step away from the computer, but our best ideas normally do come when we’re unplugged. So why am I still sitting here? :)

25. Jennifer Brown Banks
    July 27, 2010 | 12:05 pm

Good stuff here. I can typically get my groove back by reading, relaxing to a good cup of herbal tea, or letting Calgon, “take me away.”
    I also like working with my hands, (as you do) and make gift baskets for friends and clients.
    Jennifer Brown Banks recently posted..Should Bloggers Have a Niche Focus

July 27, 2010 | 4:25 pm

Jennifer, your ideas sound simply lovely. Relaxing and creating nice things for others. Can’t get much better than that!

26. Sally
    July 27, 2010 | 1:38 pm

Get your groove back, ha ha made me smile.

I have been partying like crazy the past few days, so I think I need to take special notice of no3, honor thy temple.

Did you go back and buy the beautiful orange and red peppers?

Always love your blog posts, not only do they make me smile, they contain great tips.

To relax, I like go for a drive in my mini, it’s my dream car and took me years to get it, so it’s very relaxing and special for me.

Sally :)
    Sally recently posted..What Happened After My Interview

July 27, 2010 | 4:27 pm

Hi Sally. Hope you’re doing some partying for me too :) Alas, I did not go back for the peppers, but I’ve had a much more colorful diet ever since!

27. Marion Anderson
    July 27, 2010 | 3:43 pm

Jean
    I just loved the dog picture :-)

You have some great ideas – especially making things and the play date. Does your creativity ever frighten you? Writing is a new pleasure for me and I am surprising myself with my ideas. I am kind of afraid that one day I will sit at the computer and my creativity will have disappeared just as quickly as it appeared!
    Marion Anderson recently posted..Worry – 5 top tactics to help you stop worrying

July 27, 2010 | 4:30 pm

That dog got to me right away too, Marion. Yes, I’ve been frightened by my creativity. Sometimes it takes me directions I’d really rather not go. I’ve had times in my life where I haven’t felt the least bit creative (like when I was working on that novel), and it does feel like creativity just packed its bags and headed down the road. But it comes back. Usually not at the computer though :)

28. Vince
    July 28, 2010 | 2:00 am

Hi Jean
    I enjoyed reading this post, it has some great ideas for maintaining the freshness we all need to entaintain our readers. How are you getting on with your guitar? it is a beautiful instrument but hard to master….You are so right… observation and an awareness of the things arround us in a relaxed kind of way is a fantastic source of inspiration.
    I love the puppy…we have just got a weimarmarnar puppy last week he looks very similar but is a bluy grey coulour. We can learn from the way they look at the world as an adventure :)
    Vince
    Vince recently posted..Know your song well

July 28, 2010 | 8:36 pm

Hi Vince. I need to spend some more time with my poor neglected guitar. All pen and no pick makes Jean a dull girl. Or something like that :)

Enjoy every moment with your new puppy. I am just plain crazy about dogs. Please don’t tell my cats :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..10 Plugins to Boost Your Blogging

29. S. Ali Myers
    July 28, 2010 | 8:16 am

Hi Jean (o:

I read this on my reader when you posted it and felt compelled to commend you on #3. Too many times bloggers undervalue their health. Without good health how do you expect to have a healthy outlook? Truth is, everything is predicated on how healthy our mind, body and souls are. For it begins and ends there.

Thanks for this, Jean!

BTW: I’m happy for you in regards to your conversion to “veganism”. Keep it up!
    S. Ali Myers recently posted..SB&M TV- Episode 3 – Raw Vegan Food Feast Day 2

July 28, 2010 | 8:41 pm

Oh, you are SO right about how bloggers undervalue health. I was sliding down that slippery slope myself. I’d consider myself ‘too busy’ to go for a walk or prepare healthy food. Plus, I didn’t take time to recharge and refresh my spirit either. I could literally feel myself starting to erode physically, mentally, and spiritually. It was a big wake up call for me, and I’ve learned my lesson. Thank you for the encouragement too. I feel great since making the changes in my diet!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..10 Plugins to Boost Your Blogging

30. Sibyl-alternaview
    July 28, 2010 | 8:26 pm

Hey Jean: Great post and great list. I can tell you there have been several occasions where this post would have been amazingly helpful :) I think sometimes we reach the mistaken conclusion that there is nothing we can do that will allow us to tap into our creativity and we just have to accept the way we are feeling and performing. The reality is that there are things we can do differently that will stimulate that creative side of ourselves. I love your list. I was trying to think of some additions, but I think you literally got the most important ones. Thanks for sharing.
    Sibyl-alternaview recently posted..How to Have A Great Day Where Everything Just Clicks

July 28, 2010 | 8:47 pm

Hi Sibyl. It’s always great to see you here. I’m so behind on my blog visiting that it is rather pathetic! Yes, I think we forget that in essence, we ARE creativity in human form and to deny our creativity is to deny the heart of our existence.
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..10 Plugins to Boost Your Blogging

31. [...] Jean Sarauer  of Virgin Blogger Notes shares “9 Ways to Get Your Creative Groove Back” … [...]

32. Friday-Go-Round #1