How to Get Off the Meltdown City Express

A few days ago, I had a meltdown. No, it wasn’t my typical hair-smoking, eye-twitching, someone-better-call-the-paramedics variety, but it was close enough. Between a computer virus, a broken water pipe, and steamy temperatures, I ended up boarding the Meltdown City Express, and that’s never a fun trip.

In fact, the Express had just passed the outskirts of Overwhelm and was speeding towards Meltdown City when I noticed that no matter which window I surveyed the landscape from, all I could see was mile-after-mile of gloom and doom. A mountain of repair expenses loomed in the east, shrouded by a mist of impending deadlines and unfinished blogging tasks. To the west, a desert of defeat stretched into the horizon. I shrank against the seat, my mood as dark as the gathering clouds.

Lucky for me, it was right about then I remembered my recent blog post–the one called, ‘What Are You Doing to Yourself?’ As the words from that post echoed in my mind . . . I get to decide how often to post, how many blogs to visit, and what jobs to take on . . . the Express slowed just enough for me to catch a glimpse of truth shining behind the thick clouds.

I was the one who’d hopped on the Meltdown City Express, and it was up to me to use the exit.

Let’s face it–we all take a ride on the Meltdown City Express now and then–especially when our best laid blogging plans get derailed by life’s not-so-pleasant surprises. But just because we’re on that bus doesn’t mean we have to go all the way into Meltdown City. No, we all have the ability to step off and travel in another direction whenever we choose.

Here’s how:

Stop the bus. Stepping off a speeding bus is a good way crack your noggin, so be sure the bus rolls to a stop before your feet touch solid ground. Slow things down by taking some deep breaths, acknowledging you’ve been heading in the wrong direction, and making a commitment to return to reality.

Get your bearings. When we’re racing towards Meltdown City, everything blends together in a blur of bleakness. Once we step off the bus, we can view the landscape as it truly is. In my case, getting off the Express allowed me to explore the scope of my computer and plumbing issues and focus on viable options for getting things sorted.

Make a plan. When you’ve gotten your bearings, it’s time to set a course for moving forward. Create a map of action steps to lead you steadily from where you are to where you need to be. Be creative, yet realistic about how far you can travel in a day and what services and resources are available to you. If at all possible, ask a friend or family member to accompany you on your journey to set things right.

Start moving. Maybe your particular road is long and steep, and going the distance without a breakdown seems impossible. Think of yourself like a car traveling in the dark, focusing only on the short patch of pavement made visible by your headlights. You can cross a whole continent that way.

It would be grand if we never boarded the Meltdown City Express again, but the truth is, we will. Sooner or later–maybe even today–something in our lives will go kaboom, and we’ll be hurtling towards Meltdown City at 100 miles per hour.

That’s okay though. Because now that we know the secret to stepping off that bus, by the time it rumbles into Meltdown City, we’ll be long gone.

Your turn: Have you ridden the Meltdown City Express lately?

If you liked this post, you might also like How to Love Blogging When It Doesn’t Love You Back.

69 Responses to How to Get Off the Meltdown City Express

1. Alex August 13, 2010 at 8:12 am #

Hey Stranger!
    Sorry I have not popped in in a while, I have actually been riding the melt down express myself. It was running late, so I interchanged to the slowly losing it bus service instead.
    Life has been a little tough of late and has cause perspectives and priorities to change, but some of the points you speak of in this post are spot on, and is advice I will definitely be taking on board as of …NOW

Thanks Jean. How are you anyway?
    Alex recently posted..Writing an ebook A Journey of Blog- sweat- and tears

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Hi Alex. Life has been a constant balancing/unbalancing/rebalancing act these past few weeks. I ‘think’ I’ve gained a sense of reality about what I can realistically accomplish in a day’s time, but we’ll see about that :)

I’m coming over to your blog to read about your ebook experience right now!

2. Scott McIntyre August 13, 2010 at 8:45 am #

What a ride you’ve had on the ‘Meltdown Express’… I love that term- it definitely sums up what that mode of transport is like.

As you say, it’s us as individuals that choose to get on that particular runaway journey or get off. No one else kidnaps us or throws us on board!

I try to avoid travelling the Meltdown Express in the first place, as it’s never worth the trip. I’ve got used to really balancing my committments and tend to be quite good at drawing a line at the point things are about to turn unmanageable.

I’ve totally learned through experience that you should never let other people cause you to do more than is possible… stress-wise, it’s not worth it at all.

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 10:04 am #

My reply to you ended up down below somewhere, Scott. Sorry about that!

3. rob white August 13, 2010 at 9:23 am #

While not quite on the melt down express I did recently realize the “bus” I was on was ALL WRONG. I had to take my own advice and do a complete 180… I had to completely shift my perception of someone who I was quick to put down… only to realize I have a lot to learn and model from him. Sometimes I actually love being wrong. This “bad news” is good news because I can do something about it. It is humbling and at the same time exciting knowing I am back on the right track.
    rob white recently posted..Being Master of the Elements

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Thanks for sharing that personal example, Rob. And isn’t it good to know that we all can take those 180s when we need to?!

4. Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Good job on balancing commitments, Scott – that’s where I usually get thrown off the beam. I’m getting better about being more realistic in regards to what I can do and still have a life, but there’s still some work to do! Hope you have a great weekend.

5. Linda August 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Hope the Melt Down Express has slowed a bit for you. So many of us get on and can’t get off. Hey… you’ve given me an idea for a post!

Have a gentle, ‘sunshiney’ weekend.
    Linda recently posted..New Twitter “Tweet Button”

6. Linda August 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

ooops! That line at the end of my comment isn’t right… my last post wasn’t about the Tweet button! Not sure what happened there!
    Linda recently posted..New Twitter “Tweet Button”

7. Jake LaCaze August 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

It’s so easy to think about how people should solve their own problems and forget that those rules apply for us too; I’m bad about doing that. Sometimes, when I get headed toward Meltdown City, I forget to slow the world down and just take a deep breath. When we get headed down that path, the worst thing we can do is to let ourselves get stressed out and make our problems worse than they already are.
    Jake LaCaze recently posted..Why Haven’t You Befriended A Devil’s Advocate

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Hi Jake. Stress seems to feed on itself and grow. Slowing down and just getting out of that frantic ‘sky-is-falling’ mode is the best solution I’ve found to start turning things around.

8. Angela Artemis August 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

You did it again. Gave a name to exactly what I’m going through. Did you ever think of a career in naming phobias, as such? You’re uncannily good at it!
    I’ve already stopped visiting 1000 blogs a day. I had to. I’m writing when I can and not feeling bad about it. There’s just so much a person can do in a day.
    Thanks for validating what I’ve been feeling.
    Have a great weekend on your digital sabaatical.
    Angela Artemis recently posted..Hey! There’s a Face in That Orb!

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

Well, if blogging doesn’t work out, I’ll definitely hang out a ‘Phobia Namer’ shingle :) I hear you on the visiting 1000 blogs a day. We expect the impossible of ourselves and it’s really just plain nutty when a person steps back and looks at the reality of available time compared to the activities we think we can cram into that time. My sabbatical begins in about 15 minutes – woohoo!!! Have a great weekend!

9. Jered August 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I recently watched an interview with Paula Abdul that was part of a success series that Brendon Burchard did.

Paula said that successful people learn how to get comfortable in the uncomfortable.

I think that a lot of times people allow stress to push them to fight and tackle all of their problems, or fly away, negate the issue, and just hope that everything will go away.

I think being comfortable in the uncomfortable means being able to stop the constant back and forth of the fight or flight syndrome that stress brings on. Then we can look at the situation as a passive observer so that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and that there’s no need to stress out over the surprises.

Straight up.

Excellent post as always.
    Jered recently posted..The Power of Purpose

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

That sounds like a really good interview, Jered. I agree that if we can just step back into that ‘passive observer’ mode you mentioned, we can find real solutions. Drama belongs on the stage :)

10. Alien Ghost August 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Fortunately for me I haven’t ride the Meltdown City Express in a while; not that I keep things under control because I don’t, but maybe because I have a tendency to just look to the other side when things get too complicated and just come back later to see the mess and grab just one problem and forget about the others until the first one becomes under control.

Might not be the best approach to piling problems, but at least haven’t got to the meltdown point. Still, I know I have to “fine tune” the procedures in order to reach more efficiency in dealing with problems, but we all are work in progress after all, aren’t we?

I liked the way you presented the situations with the reference of taking a trip :)

Raul
    Alien Ghost recently posted..Our New GOD!

• Jean Sarauer August 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Raul, I think your approach is spot on! Just deal with one problem at a time. If we were smart, we’d all do that because we truly can only do one thing at a time well anyway. Thanks for stopping in and have a great weekend!

11. Doug August 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

Yes, I’m feeling a little melted down at the moment, but I think it has something to do with the unrelenting heat and lack of air conditioning. That just drains my physically and mentally. Trying to stay focused though. Thanks for the reminder!
    Doug recently posted..Driving Through Life

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Hi Doug. I can relate to that unrelenting heat and lack of ac. We had a couple of weeks of that but today the cool front came in. What a refresher that is to body, mind, and spirit. Hope you’re getting a break in the temps by now too!

12. Preeti @ Heart and Mind August 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

Hope you are off that meltdown bus now. Enjoy your time with your loved ones in garden under the canopy of stars! Your blog friends wants you to take care and blog and we will be still here!
    Preeti @ Heart and Mind recently posted..Lifestyle Magazine’s New Issue- Relationship

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

Yes, I’m off the bus now, Preeti, and I’m in a much more relaxed state of mind. I took the majority of this weekend away from the computer and enjoyed spending time both in solitude and with loved ones. Hope you had a great weekend too!

13. Belinda Munoz + The Halfway Point August 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Hi Jean, I’m clicking over from Katie Tallo’s awesome blog.

This post speaks to me as I’m familiar with the Meltdown City Express. I believe I still have my fast pass. What I’ve found is I can get off as quickly as I get on. Then I take a little break, get some fresh air, look at pretty things — al things I used to never allow myself to do.

And you’re right, those darn buses are unmarked so we inevitably get on again. But that happens. so we deal. (Something about practice makes perfect?)

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

Hi Belinda. Isn’t Katie’s blog just the best? You’ve got some great tips for things to help get your perspective and balance when you get out of meltdown mode. It was especially noteworthy how you said, ‘things I never used to allow myself to do.’ So glad you’re doing them now!

14. Joshua Noerr August 13, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

It’s funny Jean, why does life have to get in the way of blogging? Doesn’t the universe know that I have important posts to write?

I’ve always been inspired by this Incubus lyric, and I think it applies to meltdowns

“To attain a bird’s eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze.” I think it echoes your first two points about stopping the bus and getting your bearings
    Joshua Noerr recently posted..The Only Two Emotions That Matter

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Sometimes the universe appears a little slow in getting the message about what we think is important, Josh :) Turning a blizzard into a breeze – love that!

15. Cori Padgett August 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm #

Sure have! Custody issues, funding issues, looking for a new place issues, blogging issues, client issues, project issues… I think it’s safe to say I got issues, and Meltdown City seems to be lurking just around the corner indefinitely. LOL Think I need a drink. 😉

Great post Jean, once again so creative. I love how you just take me away in a nice little picture story in my head… you’re so darn GOOD at it.

Now please get out of my head, it’s getting a bit crowded in there.

xo
    c
    Cori Padgett recently posted..Online Marketing- Should You Opt for a Popular or Niche Market

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Cori, I think I may have to come looking for you in the Meltdown City Saloon :) Any one of those issues you’re dealing with can be meltdown-inducing on their own, but when they’re combined . . . yikes! I’m thinking you can write the next installment to this post :) Hope things start getting a little easier for you soon!

16. Keith Davis August 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Tell me about it Jean.
    My computer has been down for over six weeks and I’m typing this on an old laptop running internet explorer 6! Your site still renders well even in IE 6.

I had set up a local install of my wordpress site on my PC using XAMPP but all that has gone so I’ve set up a new one on this small but perfectly formed machine.
    I’d recommend a local install to anyone – allows you to write your posts without eating up bandwidth and to experiment with plugins.
    Also teaches you how to install download your database from your blog and install it on your local site.

Sorry Jean… I’ve gone all geeky. LOL
    Keith Davis recently posted..A splash of colour

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Keith, just reading over your computer issues is just about enough to start my hair smoking :) Technology issues always make me wish that I could do a backup and a reinstall of my sanity. I’m a little envious of your geekiness – I’d like a little more of that myself!

17. Dia August 14, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

I think we all experience the meltdown city express from time to time. I experienced mine in July, I hope you will be back on track :)
    Dia recently posted..5 ways to get rid of painful memories

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Hi Dia. Glad to hear you survived your July meltdown. It must have just been my turn now :) I’m doing great now. The meltdown was a good thing, actually, because it pointed out some things I needed to change – like making more time for myself, saying ‘no,’ more often, etc. Hard things to do sometimes, but it beats keeling over from stress and exhaustion!

18. Brandon Connell August 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

I just have to get away from people and either watch tv, listen to music, or surf the web until I cool off. I don’t really have a plan of action except to tell people to leave me alone. When they don’t, they usually get cussed out or yelled at and learn their lesson. That has worked for me so far.
    Brandon Connell recently posted..Someone stomped my raviolis

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

Cripes, Brandon, remind me to stay away from you when you’re in a bad mood :) I always like to get away from people when I’m in a bad mood, so I guess the chances of us ever getting in much of an argument are pretty low. Hope your raviolis are better now :)

19. Manal August 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

I can totally relate. A couple of months ago I got on the meltdown city express when my blog was hacked and I had to clean it up. Last month it was a good kaboom with family visiting from Europe.

The best thing to do is to slow down re-prioritize and keep moving. I haven’t been on your blog for ages. Now I’m back to normal and I’m glad I stared with this post :)

Hope your troubles are easing and things are slowly going back to normal.
    Manal recently posted..Radical Responsibility- The First Step in Changing Your World

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

Oh, I didn’t know your site got hacked, Manal. Now that would put me on the Express right there. Reprioritizing is a big deal for me and I’ve been doing a lot of that lately – getting clear on what ‘success’ looks like for me, etc. For me, it involves a lot of down time to create and just enjoy life – it’s easy to lose track of that when a person is running around like a maniac. All is well at the moment though :)

20. Katie August 15, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Jean, I’m so glad you decided to step off the Meltdown Express. We need you to stay strong! You are our guide on this wonderful blogging ride. Great tips. I reached this point myself recently and had to take a few steps back, breath and re-evaluate as well. Thank you for sharing.
    Katie recently posted..A Simple Guide to Gathering More Energy

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

Hi Katie. Your digital break was an inspiration to me. That was a shining example of having a clear head and right priorities! I’ve been enjoying a digital sabbatical this weekend, and it’s going to be a regular practice from Fri pm – Sun pm. Bliss!

21. Meg - Minimalist Woman August 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Jean, I not only have ridden that bus, I’ve made like Sandra Bullock in “Speed,” and learned to drive that baby all the way to the end. It’s not something I recommend, however, even if you have Keanu Reeves to help out ;D
    Meg – Minimalist Woman recently posted..Minimalism and How It’s Shaping My Life

22. Joy August 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I used to be a frequent passenger on the “Meltdown Express”…
    I make the choice to embrace the moment as it is..I no longer label a moment good or bad, I look at it as an experience, an opportunity…and I give praise for it the moment I am in it. Whatever it is causing me fear or panic or doubt, I quick praise for it, for surely it is an opportunity for me to embrace…When I feel a meltdown come on… I turn my mind off and allow my senses to take over. I think about what am I resisting and how may I stop resisting?
    Your suggestions are awe-some, and I think it’s always cool when we remember the Answer is always within..in the example you gave you referred back to your own words you shared through a post…
    Joy recently posted..Fearless Fun Friday- Use Your Influence…

• Jean Sarauer August 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm #

Our minds are always the travel agents for our Meltdown City trips. You’re right – when we can just shut all that mind chatter off, the trip is over! I know that but it sure takes me long enough to do it most of the time :(

23. Jimmy August 16, 2010 at 12:55 am #

I have had this happen to me, too. My everyday life is harder than working on the computer because I am more in control of what I do on the computer than I am with my house. I am glad that I am not in this boat alone.

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

Hi Jimmy. I bet a lot of people can relate to that ‘every day life is harder than working on the computer’ feeling. Several of my blogging friends tell me that blogging is the calming part of their lives. For me too, the household chaos and other offline situations tend to provoke meltdowns. Thanks for stopping in!

24. J.D. Meier August 16, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

I think it’s all about finding our own personal success patterns for sustainable results.

There are lenses that help, but we need to know where to look. For example, I know what activities recharge me and which ones drain me. I play to my strengths, I find ways to connect to my values, and I use metaphors to inject juice into life.
    J.D. Meier recently posted..Day 16 – Use Metaphors to Find Your Motivation

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

Hi JD. Great strategies for staying strong and balanced. You’ve got an excellent series going on over at your blog right now – an extremely helpful resource to keep us all out of meltdown mode!

25. RainbowEU August 16, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

The first step I take when sitting on the Meltown Express is start reading other people’s blogs. You’ll see yourself on the posts, in the comments, all around. When I aknowledge that there are so many people out there (on the bus) like me, well it makes me stronger. Being stronger not only helps me but urges me to help others stay off the Meltown Express for a much longer period.

Thanks

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

You’re so right that it makes a person feel better when you know others are walking the same path! This is something I didn’t get when I first started blogging – I thought I was the only one feeling insecure or overwhelmed. Not so!

26. Sandra Lee August 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

You have such a terrific way of using blogging as a personal development journey. This is a great reminder that whatever happens it’s not the end of the world! The mounting stress is probably far worse than the hassles that need to be dealt with. I just love your upbeat approach.
    Sandra Lee recently posted..Expert advice on writing faster blog posts

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

Hi Sandra Lee. You know, blogging really has become a practice for me. One day I meet my ego, the next my fears, the next my wisdom. Now, if only my wisdom would show up a bit more often.

I have to get over to blog and read about writing faster blog posts!

27. Aileen August 16, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

I’ve been to meltdown City quite a few times, I think my picture may be in city hall.

Your tips are brilliant: slow down, re-gain your bearings, make a plan, start moving. Other wise the chaos continues.

It’s a challenge for those who are eager about life. So much we want to do and at first glance it looks like it can all fit. Then we realize it can’t all fit all the time.

Great post!!
    Aileen recently posted..The Leg­endary John Wooden Series- Intentness

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 8:08 pm #

I thought I saw your picture in City Hall, Aileen. :) Yes, there are many of us who do have to learn the hard way that we can’t do it all. I have a post going up at We Blog Better tomorrow about that. I’m definitely living and learning, as we all are.

28. Clearly Composed August 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

Here’s to stopping at the Sanity Stations along the way where they feature deep breaths, serenity, reflection, and fuel for the next stage of the trip. :) You summed up what many feel oh so very well. Good blogging!
    Clearly Composed recently posted.. Nutrition Spotlight- Juices

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Yeah, lucky for me I picked up a six-pack of Serenity at the Sanity Station. That should hold me for at least a few more hours :)

29. Jeffrey August 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm #

I get it! Kinda like a cross between the movies “Speed” and “Snakes On A Plane”.
    Except I thought the bus blew up if the bus slowed down to 50mph, not 100mph as you relate in your post.
    I may have my facts wrong …… where is Keanu Reeves when you need him?

• Jean Sarauer August 16, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Well, if the bus exploded, that would certainly explain the way my hair has been looking lately.

Hey, the last time I saw you, you were driving the bus, Jeffrey :) Then you got put in the back because you were all twitchy and drooling. It was pretty much downhill after that.

• Jeffrey August 17, 2010 at 7:51 am #

Is 12:30P.M. Saturday good for you Jean? This time I’m bringing my mother! I blame her for all the ills in my life. So I thought I would bring her to you and you could fix her. :)
        Jeffrey recently posted..The Filler Content

• Jean Sarauer August 17, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Yeah, Saturday works :) If Mom brings cookies, I waive the normal fee.

30. Steve August 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

Very interesting post. It definitely is something I think almost everyone can relate to, after all I think just about everyone has taken a ride on the Meltdown express one time or another. Thanks,

Steve
    Steve recently posted..Think to Grow Your Reach

• Jean Sarauer August 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

Hi Steve. Yes, it’s pretty much inevitable we’ll ride that bus sooner or later. We just have to remember where the exit is!

31. Sherryl Perry August 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

Saw your post on Tia’s blog and thought I’d drop by and check it out. I love your headline! It’s very catchy. We can all relate to the Melt Down Express for sure. Good post! I’m going to check out what else you have here.
    Sherryl Perry recently posted..How Do Entrepreneurs and Sole Proprietors Juggle All Those Balls

• Jean Sarauer August 22, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks for coming over, Sherryl. Hopefully we can all start spending less time on The Express–I’ve been riding it way too much but things are going better lately. I like the title of your post on ‘juggling.’ I never realized how many ball there were to keep up in the air until I started walking the solopreneur path!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Criticize Our Fellow Bloggers

32. Adjustable Dumbbells · November 4, 2010 at 9:07 am #

i’m quite good in witing but i have not yet signed up on a writing contest *

33. Cutlery Tray December 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

last time, i joined a writing contests on the internet and i won a small price for writing a nice piece of writing :~:

34. clark October 31, 2011 at 1:53 am #

well i dont know meltdown journey but only journey i canget is with the guy in pictures is so hot,i can anywhere with him eatheir irak is fucking hot and like with kill my stress.

35. Actron CP9185 November 7, 2011 at 7:39 am #

I read your article very much.
    Actron CP9185

1. How to Crush It As a Writer: The ‘Weird’ Trick | Write to Done - August 14, 2010

[…] Her response was definitely memorable. (Check out Jean’s related post How to Get Off the Meltdown City Express.) […]

2. overwhelm, web services and good reads from internet | Heart and Mind - August 25, 2010

[…] from Virgin blogger wrote How to get of melt down city express , which is just in time, as I feel like I am on one right now and I am not sure how I got on in […]

3. What Are You Doing to Yourself? | Virgin Blogger Notes - September 2, 2010

[…] If you enjoyed this article, you might also enjoy How to Get Off the Meltdown City Express. […]