How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

A guest post by Hulbert Lee of From Bottom Up.

Because you’ve probably read many resources already on how to become an early riser, I don’t want to bore you with another how-to, step-by-step article on early rising. Also, I don’t consider myself an early riser so it would be kind of unreasonable if I started giving you instructions on something I don’t do.

Instead, I gathered all the information I could on bloggers who actually wake up early in the morning, what their experiences are like during this time, and how they became an early riser. Then I put all this information together in one piece so you can see it from different perspectives. Here are the facts of five early riser bloggers from around the world, including your own Jean Berg-Sarauer, who share their experiences of early rising.

Oscar Del Ben

Location: Italy

Wake Up Time: 5 AM

Duration: Oscar has been doing this for 3 or 4 months.

Benefits: Time, mental clarity, can accomplish many more tasks that would require many hours if he were to wake up later in the day, fresh mind, and no distractions.

Why he became an early riser: Time, couldn’t finish tasks in the evening.

How he did it: Did a 30-day challenge on his blog, people motivated him there, they thought it was cool, and wanted to hear from him.

Reason why people fail: They fall back to sleep again.

Advice to people: Practice getting up as soon as the alarm clock rings, go outside, wash your head with cold water, and go away from the room.

How long for results: It should take 3 or 4 days to get comfortable with it and 3 weeks to get used to it.

Miscellaneous: The winter mornings in Italy are not really cold.

Quote: “I saw that other people were doing it and they said it was fantastic so there was no reason for me not to try it.”

Jean Berg-Sarauer

Location: North America

Wake Up Time: 4 AM to 5 AM

Duration: Jean has been doing this since the beginning of this summer.

Reason: Wanted to go to more of a summer schedule with her blog so she could do her blogging work and still have time to enjoy the summer weather, be outside, and do things.

Benefits: Time alone, being who you are, no distractions, makes her a calmer person, doesn’t feel pressured or obligated to spend time with loved ones in the morning as much compared to if they woke up all together at around the same time.

How she did it: Some people told her to ease into it for 15 minutes at a time, but she was too impatient to do that, so she set her alarm clock 1 hour earlier, but put the alarm across her hall in another room. Once she’s gotten up that far from her room, she’s up. She is also gentle to herself while waking up in the morning. She needs to be in bed by 10 PM to 11 PM at the latest.

Advice to people: Be clear on why you want to do this, set your alarm where you have to go quite a distance, see if there’s anyone that can be an accountability partner for you such as a spouse to nudge you before they go back to sleep or a walking partner, have something to look forward the night before (e.g. good coffee, good tea, books laid out, etc.).

Miscellaneous: When Jean was younger, her mom had a hard time getting her up for school. When she was into the party scene and that kind of stuff, 4 AM or 5 AM was about the time she was thinking about going to bed. The thought of waking up at that time was too painful.

Quote: “Well for me the biggest benefit is just the experience of the solitude. It just feels like you have the whole world. Like you own time.”

Annabel Candy

Location: Australia

Wake Up Time: Just before 6 AM

Duration: Annabel has been doing this for 4 years.

Benefits: Needs time on her own, getting up before the rest of the family, permission to think about creative things, exercise, walks towards the beach, catches the sunrise over the sea, hears the sound of the water, sees birds (e.g. White-faced Heron and Rainbow Lorikeet), helped with getting over depression.

How she did it: Has something to look forward to every day, put the alarm clock in the bathroom, and meets a friend once a week at 6 AM in the morning for a bike ride.

Reasons why people fail: Going to bed too late and going to bed at a different time every night.

Advice for people: Make sure you go to bed at the same time every time, stick with it for one week, and have something to look forward to in the morning like writing, walking, or seeing birds.

Miscellaneous: Once rescued a baby possum during one of her walks to the beach.

Quote: “I never thought that I’d go to bed at night and actually look forward to getting up at quarter to six in the morning.”

Justin Popovic

Location: Canada

Wake Up Time: Usually gets up at 5 AM.

Duration: Justin has been doing this since the spring of this year.

Benefits: Quietness, sereneness, puts him in a relaxed state (not tired) and a nice working mood, has more time to dedicate to work or business-oriented activities, has personal development time to reprogram his mind by listening to audio, reading books, does not feel hurried, and works at a nice, steady pace.

How he did it: Recognizing he needed to create time to do personal development stuff (an activity he enjoyed), realizing that the best time to do this was in the morning for him, associated it with something he looked forward to doing, and acted on it right away.

Reasons why people fail: Not realizing why they want to do it, some people force themselves to become early risers even though they may work better at night.

Advice for people: Make a decision right now from your core to make a commitment, don’t do it just for the sake of doing it, act on it right away, and consider having other people join you (e.g. a walking club) where everybody holds each other accountable.

Miscellaneous: Justin is the kind of guy that when he has something new that he wants to do, the initial excitement is enough to keep him going for the first couple of days.

Quote: “I love going outside into the stillness of the world. It’s just like nobody’s up yet. There’s just something really mystical about it.”

Celestine Chua

Location: Singapore

Wake Up Time: Around 5 AM

Duration: Celes has been doing this since 2009.

Benefits: Peacefulness, quietness, no mental chatter, gets a lot more done, psychological feel-good factor of just being up ahead of the world, makes her feel like she wants to maintain that lead, getting started on tasks in her schedule before others, and very motivating.

How she did it: Started a 30-day challenge on her blog, putting multiple alarm clocks around far away from her, hiding her alarm clocks, and sleeping early.

Reason why people fail: Sleeping too late which results in bashing oneself up in the morning and waking up grumpy with mental chatter that tells them to go back to sleep.

Advice for people: Go to sleep earlier, meditate or read to reduce mental clutter, have a good diet, plan out schedule the night before you go to sleep, have a reason for why you want to do this, and have something to do when you wake up in the morning.

Miscellaneous: Goes to sleep at 12 AM and is comfortable getting 5 hours of sleep per night.

Quote: “One of the habits which my readers wanted to cultivate was waking up early, and it’s interesting because the first few days of the program one reader was saying how she succeeded in waking up at 5:30, which was the time she wanted to wake up but then she went back to sleep because there was nothing to do!”

Mental clarity is something that is rare find these days, and although there are obviously different times in the day where we can blog, there are definitely a lot of benefits of being an early riser when it comes to blogging or just putting us in a position where we can become better bloggers. Silence, room for creative flow, high energy, and a “fresh brain” are to name a few.

As for me, I’m still in the process of becoming an early riser. This week my record has been waking up at around 5 AM for four days in a row, something that has never been accomplished before in my life. It’s definitely inspiring to hear others who have done what you want to do.

Even though we all live in different parts of the world, I think it’s cool that we can share the same experience of waking up early in the morning together through blogging. Hopefully, the reasons and efforts of your fellow bloggers have inspired you to do the same.

Your turn: Are you an early bird or a night owl?

Bio: Hulbert Lee is an interviewer who interviews people across the world. He owns a personal development podcast blog at From Bottom Up. His goal is to acquire valuable information from experts in various topics of personal development to help others improve their lives in any way possible. Visit his blog to hear the latest interview.

66 Responses to How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

1. Karen August 18, 2010 at 6:51 am #

Hi Hulbert and Jean,

This was very timely to me as I set my alarm clock an hour earlier than normal this morning. I have too much to do today to sleep in. But, boy am I tired – I think that I have to go to bed earlier! :-)

You can definitely tell which bloggers have lots of hours to devote to their sites and waking up earlier (and working longer) can reap amazing results. Not only in blogging, but in many other ways. It’s great to see the personal details of the bloggers you mentioned above and what motivates them to wake up early. I’m keeping the alarm set as is, so maybe I can join the club soon :-)

Thanks
    Karen
    Karen recently posted..Just For Today Challenge – 31 Days To A Better You eBook Launch

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 8:55 am #

Hi Karen, you know what’s crazy? I set my alarm clock an hour earlier too! This was yesterday night though. Even though I set it to 4 AM, it had no effect. I still woke up past 5 AM! I’m trying to write five freelance articles per day so I have to wake up earlier to do so. In fact, it’s almost 7 AM I’m going to start my first one in 10 minutes.

Like you say, bloggers can reap amazing results when they wake up early in the morning. I like to spend an hour reading a personal development book, but even if you’re doing nothing and just looking out your window, that moment itself is enough to gather great blog post ideas.

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Hi Karen. If I didn’t get up early, I really don’t know how I’d manage. I need some quiet time to myself before launching into my day. Good luck with that alarm clock :)

2. Ishan August 18, 2010 at 7:50 am #

I am an hybrid! :)
    OK, I usually follow my heart. No one can stop me from writing a post at 2 AM if I feel like it. And when I sleep late, I usually get late.
    Normally, I try to get up around 5 AM(only when I sleep early, I don’t want puffy eyes 😉 )! And I get a lot more done in morning. So, thumbs up for early rising!
    Ishan recently posted..Make Money Blogging- How Bloggers Can Make Money Online

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Hi Ishan. I have those wild late night writing fests once in a while too. I think the reason I like getting up early now is because it’s my choice and not something I ‘have’ to do like when I was younger. So glad you’re not walking around with puffy eyes :)

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Hey Ishan, haha that’s cool that your a hybrid man. Some people work better with variety and flexibility set into their schedules. I’m a person who needs to go to bed early and wake up at the same time each day in order for me to keep a consistent, productive schedule, even if that means stumbling out of bed at around 5 AM in the morning. Looks like I’ll have to continue with the puffy eyes…

3. rob white August 18, 2010 at 8:07 am #

Hi Hulbert & Jean,
    This is a nice breakdown and serves as useful source for anyone who want to get the most out of everyday. These early risers all set up a strong philosophical position by starting their day enthusiastically. Fashioning our mornings so they inspire us allows us to reach higher than our usual ‘Self’ everyday.
    rob white recently posted..Creating Money Matters – Not Reacting to Them

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 10:56 am #

That’s a good way of putting things, Rob–‘fashioning our mornings.’ It’s easy to forget that we have the power to create our day!

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 11:35 am #

Hi Rob, your comments always so philosophical. :) I agree there is something about the rise of the morning that is just really inspiring. I think those beginning moments in solitude can help us get in touch with our deeper selves before we begin the day.

4. Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 8:45 am #

Good morning people. :)

I woke up around 5 AM today and it’s about 6:45 AM in California. I just wanted to say thanks Jean for letting me guest post on your really cool, down-to-earth blog. You have been an inspiration to me and I hope this post can be an inspiration to others.

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 10:58 am #

I’m so happy to have you here, Hulbert! I’m really glad we’ve connected and it’s always a treat for me when we work together.

5. Scott McIntyre August 18, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Hi Hulbert,

An interesting analysis of sleeping / awake hours… I’m surprised Jean and Annabel get any sleep- they do so much with their time! 😉

When I was aged between 13 and 16 years old, I had a part-time job which meant me getting up at 4.30 am for 6 days a week. For my age, I was earning good money and had no difficulty rising at this early hour.

Nowadays, I can be either a morning or a night time person, it just depends what I’ve got going on at the time. I find I can switch back on to early rising quite quickly.

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 10:59 am #

I drink a lot of coffee so I can zip around a lot, Scott :) You’re lucky to be able to switch back and forth between early bird/night-owl status. I do it sometimes, but that first early morning after a couple of night owl sessions can be a bit painful!

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Hi Scott, well Jean an Annabel are just naturally talented, so we shouldn’t even compare ourselves to them… Haha, just kidding. :)

I think that’s pretty crazy that you had a part-time job at such a young age. During those times, it was so hard for me to wake up just to get ready for school at around 7 AM!

But I think when you are motivated by something, such as earning good morning in your case, then you won’t have difficulty rising up early in the morning. That’s what some of the experts that I interviewed said. Good to hear that you are both a morning and a night time person man.

6. Kim NYC August 18, 2010 at 11:04 am #

Fascinating post! I’ve been thinking about getting up early to post my daily blogs because I noticed that some of my readers are checking my site in the morning, only to find that nothing new is up yet. (Umm…I’m a wake up in time for lunch kind of girl. Ha.)

I don’t know if the time of day at which my posts are published necessarily disappoints anyone, but I do know that when I wake up and check my favorite blogs, there’s always something new posted to get my day started. As a reader, the consistency and reliability of such blogs is so comforting. This is why I feel a bit guilty for posting at noon.

Also, now that I’m married (it’s been 3 weeks so far!), I want to reserve quality time each night with my new mini family. Blogging in the morning when he’s asleep would make this possible, so I’m going to give it a try. It’ll be difficult to retire early each night, but doing it for the sake of enjoying my relationships at night (and alone time in the morning) will make it worth it.

Btw, I love the format of this post – concisely presenting tips using interviews with various early risers is a great idea.

Thanks for the post!
    Kim NYC recently posted..66- Brave Wedding- Solana &amp Greg

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 11:55 am #

Hi Kim from New York City, I thought it was funny when described yourself as a “wake up in time for lunch kind of girl”. :)

Blogging is crazy because you’re not just dealing with people in just one time zone. For me, living in California is kind of difficult because by the time I wake up, everybody else in the world other than the Pacific Time Zone has already woken up and started their day.

In this comment, you talk about feeling guilty for posting at noon. One solution to this problem is to schedule your posts the night to go up at the exact time you want it to for the next day. For example, before I publish my posts, I will schedule them to go up at 6 AM the night before I go to sleep. So maybe you can write your post during the day and then schedule them sometime for the next morning.

Then again, you can always blog in the morning and publish it right after you are done. It’s really up to you. Thanks for the comment and congratulations with your early marriage!

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

Congrats on your marriage, Kim! It’s hard to find the right balance with blogging and relationships. Sometimes my hubby doesn’t like it so much when I go to bed early, but he does like it when I have my afternoons free. I have to remind him of that sometimes though :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

7. Katie August 18, 2010 at 11:31 am #

Cool idea for a post, Hulbert. Yes, I’m an early riser. Or was. Lately, I’m finding between 11pm and 1am has become very productive for me for some weird reason. My brain kicks into another zone where it relaxes into a stream of work. Anyway, that means I’ve been rising around 7am or even 8am. Too late for my liking. Patterns shift and change I guess, but I prefer early morning light, silence and energy.
    Katie recently posted..A Simple Guide to Living Life with Wild Abandon

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

Isn’t it strange how that creative energy shifts sometimes? Once in awhile I’ll get on a roll with writing at a later hour, and then I just keep on going too. Sleep is way overrated anyway :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Hi Katie, I know what you mean. I think it just depends on what times people work the best. Some people work better late into the night, while others work better before the sun rises. Still, 7 AM to 8 AM is considered pretty early. It’s nice that you have a touch of both worlds.

8. Theresa Bradley-Banta August 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I’m an early, early, early bird… but hopefully I won’t make a habit of this morning. I couldn’t sleep past 2:20 am! Ouch!

Oh, and I couldn’t agree more with Celestine… get the clutter out of your head before you go to bed. This means no email (etc.) right before you sleep — unplug! :)

Loved this post. Thank you.

Theresa
    Theresa Bradley-Banta recently posted..The 1 Most Important Learnable Skill in Business Networking

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Okay, Theresa, that’s too early even for me :) I find too that if I email or post comments right before bed that my brain doesn’t want to shut down. I’m trying to make myself stay off the computer after 8 p.m. We’ll see how that goes!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Whoa Theresa, at first I thought 5 AM was crazy. I’ve heard people wake up at 4 AM, some even wake up at 3 AM, but 2:20 AM? That’s… not normal? Haha… Well, it’s always good to hear from early, early, early bird. You must go to bed super early.

9. Angela Artemis August 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Hi Hulbert,
    I’m never going to be an early riser! I’ve accepted that about myself, but it was fascinating to read about everyone else’s experience.
    Angela Artemis recently posted..How to Walk Through Walls

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

Hey, never say ‘never,’ Angela. I said that both about rising early and getting remarried and now I’m up with the birds and leave a snoring husband under the covers. I’m definitely going to watch what I say from now on!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

Haha, that’s cool. Thanks for still reading the post though Angela. :)

10. Retirementlover August 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

I have tried over the years to get up earlier than my usual 6:30. It just leaves me draggy all day. Since I have determined what works best for me I am sticking with it.

I do have one practice in this regard that works. If I think of an idea for a blog or anything, I wake myself up and write it down. I have tried to tell myself to remember the thought. But the next morning it is gone. This morning I had three ideas at 2:00 AM. All three were on the pad in my office this morning and I don’t remember getting up.

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

That’s a key – when you find what works and feels right for you body, stick with it! I like your wee-hour writing escapades. Hmmm, I could see notes like that being a good foundation for a mystery novel . . . I think I need to get back to writing fiction :)
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Hi there, maybe you go to sleep too late. I know that if I don’t get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, I get a draggy feeling too during the day.

But I like this idea of writing down your ideas by waking up during the middle of the night. I have no idea how you can do this and wake yourself up while still sleeping, but as long as it works for you, then it’s okay.

I thought it was funny that you had 3 ideas on your pad this morning and don’t remember even getting up! I have those similar experiences, but they involve turning off my alarm clock. :)

11. caren gittleman August 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Wow are you ever preaching to the choir! lol

Before I ever started blogging I worked in newspaper advertising for 26 years. I ALWAYS got up at 5am. Frankly my body became so used to it I didn’t need an alarm clock and nope I didn’t go to bed at 9pm lol.

When I lost my job I tried to sleep til 8am and found it depressed me to sleep late.

With blogging I get up no later than 6am. I set a self-imposed deadline (providing there are no unforeseen circumstances) that my blog must be posted by 9am, 10 at the latest.

I have always loved morning and do my best thinking then. Even on the weekends my internal clock gets me up by 7am!

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com
    caren gittleman recently posted..How To Brush Your Cats Teeth A Video

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

Hey Caren, sorry if this came off as “preaching”. I just wanted to help people gain a new perspective. :)

I think that’s pretty cool that you worked in newspaper advertising for 26 years. I would assume that any job that involves the newspaper would require one to wake up very early.

I’m not at the point where I don’t need an alarm clock to wake up and I do need to go to bed at around 9 PM for me to be okay in the morning. It’s kind of sad because my alarm clocks rings a total of 4 times before I fully get up! I admire your ability to not need an alarm clock and not need to go to sleep at 9 PM!

Like you, it also depressed me when I woke up late. However, 8 AM would actually be considered early for me a few years ago. We’re talking about 10 AM to 11 AM late, and sometimes even in the afternoon… I understand that feeling of waking up and having the day feel as if it had already passed you by. In fact, I remember there were days in one summer where I would wake up and the sun had already set.

This is why I decided to start waking up early in the morning. I feel more refreshed, clear minded, and motivated to start the day. Your comment was very inspiring and I hope to develop my own internal clock so I won’t have to hear the annoying sounds of my alarm clock.

12. Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

Caren, that’s interesting you say you do your best thinking in the morning because that’s how it is for me too. I never would have believed it if someone would have told me this a few years back though :)
    Jean Sarauer recently posted..How to Become an Early Riser Blogger

13. Sandra Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

Hulbert and Jean, This is such a creative focus for a post and such excellent advice.

When I feel well I naturally wake up at 6 am. I don’t use the time for blogging though. I focus on various meditation and compassion practices for about an hour or more. Then I do my daily very basic Qigong exercise and stretching routine for 20-30 minutes.

When I don’t feel well, I sleep in but still do the same routine when I wake up.

I agree that morning is a very special time, but I can’t always manage an early wake up.
    Sandra Lee recently posted..Expert advice on writing faster blog posts

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Hi Sandra, I definitely feel the same way too. When you don’t have internal conflict, I believe it’s easier to go to sleep and wake up early in the morning. Celestine, who gets about 5 hours a sleep a night, advises to do some meditation before going to sleep to get rid of mental clutter. It seems like you already do something similar to meditation with Qigong and stretching. :)

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

I should try meditating at night like Celestine. I always fell asleep right away when I tried it before, but I suppose that’s not a bad thing.

14. Ken Noguchi August 18, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

This post is great! I’ve been trying to become an early riser too, getting up at 5 AM.

I get up early mainly to avoid the morning rush as I bike to the gym and work out before going to work. I think I fall into the same boat as a lot of others who say they wake up early for the alone time and sereneness, but I also partly do it to build self-discipline.

Even living in a city, it really is eerily peaceful that early. I’ve found that starting the day off in such a peaceful atmosphere and avoiding craziness in the mornings helps me stay focused the rest of the day.

from ken

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Hi Ken, I live in a small city too and I understand what it feels like to have loud noises and a lot of stuff going on outside during the day. I like how you describe the early mornings as “eerily peaceful”. :) Although the benefits of waking up early is to have alone time and feel the sereneness, I definitely agree that it takes self-discipline to change from a late riser to an early riser. Good job!

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

I love the way ‘eerily peaceful’ sounds too. That would be a great description in a novel.

15. Steve August 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

It has seemed to me that whatever time you set for yourself becomes natural after a while. I like to sleep late, but it is relative because I am usually up until 2-3am so getting up at 830-9am is easy, because I usually hear people moving about and that serves as a great (gentle) alarm clock.
    Steve recently posted..Info Income Coaching Class Week 7

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Hey Steve, heh, I think that’s cool that the sound of people moving serves as an alarm clock for you! You must have very sensitive listening skills. :) I agree with what you said on relativity, because if you were to push your schedule 2 to 3 hours back, that would essentially be the schedule of an early riser.

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

We do fall into patterns. Years ago I worked the night shift and even on my night off I’d be awake until four or five in the morning and then sleep til noon or later. It was a little bit painful going to a day shift after that, but I survived :)

16. Cristina August 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Hi Hulbert, this is a very good post – I particularly like the tips section, and the “reason why people fail” section. I’m not an early riser, but I’d like to change that, because the few times I manage to get up early I really enjoy the peace and quiet, and the feeling that I have plenty of time to do my things.
    I put alarm clocks in other rooms to force myself to get up, too, but sometimes I’m so sleepy that I get up, turn the alarm off and crawl back to sleep :)
    Cristina recently posted..Browsing Kilkenny Arts Festival

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

Don’t we all Cristina? I had the same problem too when trying to transition to being an early riser. I would wake up to the sound of my alarm clocks and be so sleepy that I would turn them off and go back to sleep. Oscar recommends washing your head (but I’m sure he meant face) with cold water. By the time you are away from your room and soak your face with cold water, your should be ready to go. :)

17. Pete Stean August 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

Due to some weird flaw in my internal wiring I’m a late night person – I find that my thoughts are more free-flowing late at night than at any other time of day. Getting up at 5am? What a horrific idea!
    Pete Stean recently posted..The Joy of Life Fountain- Hyde Park

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Pete, I used to feel the same way! Getting out of bed early than nine a.m. was obscene!

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm #

Hi Pete, like you and Jean, I used to feel the same way too. Waking up at 5 AM was a horrible idea! I used to actually stay up until 5 AM all the time. :) Whether you’re an early bird or a late night owl, I think we all have our different times where we work the best, so I don’t think you have some weird flaw going on. You’re as normal as anyone else. You’re avatar however is a different story… Haha, just kidding. 😉

18. Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

Um, my spelling is obscene. That was supposed to be ‘earlier.’

19. Aileen August 18, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

How fantastic to find Hulbert here today!
    Hulbert, I enjoyed your early riser series and I love how you condensed it in this post. It’s really fantastic and definitely motivating.

I am an early riser and the nights when I stay up too late oh, that challenges everything!!
    Aileen recently posted..The Legendary John Wooden Series- Enthusiasm and Industriousness

• Jean Sarauer August 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

I think Hulbert could be on to something here. He could wrap up each one of his series into a guest post for a blog in that subject area. He can use this guest post as an example of how popular the idea is with readers. Then, when he’s famous, he can remember us and still be nice to us.

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

Haha, I’m not “on” to anything Jean! This made me laugh so hard, plus I’m always nice. :)

• Hulbert Lee August 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

Hello Aileen! It’s good to see you here today too. Yes, I remember you told me that you were an early riser. If I could use your philosophy as an example, I would tell people to wake up earlier 10 or 15 minutes at a time until their schedule has shifted 2 or 3 hours earlier without them even realizing it. It’s all about small steps, big awakenings right? 😉

20. Denise August 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

Loved this fascinating peek into others’ mornings! I’m a notorious late sleeper, but I feel so great when I manage to wake up early. (Although “early” for me is anything before 9.) I normally don’t set an alarm unless I have to be somewhere, but I think I’m going to set it for 8 for a week, and see how that goes.

The plan: write some morning pages, then go for a walk!
    Denise recently posted..Baby Steps to Simplicity- Step 3- Make Your Home a Haven

• Hulbert Lee August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

Hi Denise, glad you enjoyed reading the perspectives of other people. :)

Eight o’clock actually isn’t that bad. Try it out and see what happens after that week. Maybe you’ll find a moment during that early time where something enlightening happens. Good luck!

21. Jill August 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

I could never be an early blogger. My day starts at 11am. I have to work and then I get to work on the computer in the afternoon when all the kids are put to bed. This sounds like a great idea when the kids are grown and gone. I will try to keep this in mind.

• Hulbert Lee August 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

Never say never. There’s always a way if you believe there is as corny as that sounds. Just keep the idea in the back of your mind Jill. Maybe something will come up and you’ll figure out a way to become an early riser blogger, if you really want to.

22. Leah McClellan August 19, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Hi Hulbert,

I enjoyed this–good read. But I wonder, have you ever seen a post about the joys of being productive at other times of the day? I don’t think I ever have.

I’ve been an early riser, late riser, and somewhere in between. It’s a matter of what’s going on in my life. While I love the early morning hours, I can be productive at anytime, even if it means going to sleep as the sun is rising instead of rising to greet it lol.

Right now, for example, I have a hard time getting to sleep before 1 or 2am for several reasons, so I’m rarely up before 9 or 10.

I think early rising is over-rated, at least in the U.S. I think it goes back to the Puritans and farmers ethics, or something. If that’s what works for people, that’s awesome. But I know some people who think anyone who sleeps past 8am must be lazy, no matter what the reasons (hey, some people work 2nd or 3rd shifts lol)
    Leah McClellan recently posted..The World Isn’t Peaceful If We’re Not- 33 Life Lessons

• Hulbert Lee August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Hi Leah, I understand what you mean by this. I used to enjoy writing at times between midnight and 3 AM. But even though I enjoyed this period, I realized that I was once I woke up, the rest of the day was unproductive for me.

This post wasn’t meant to tell people that they have to become early risers, but just to shed light on what it was like from other people’s perspectives to wake up early in the morning. I apologize if it across any other way. I think whatever works for people, continue doing it, but it never hurts to try new methods.

I really appreciated your candidness and views on early rising in your comment. Thank you Leah. :)

• Leah McClellan August 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Thanks Hulbert,

I didn’t take it as any way than an interesting post–no problem :) I was thinking more of general attitudes that I’ve read elsewhere. In recent months, especially, I’ve seen loads of blog posts about rising early, plus have heard talk about early rising before. Add that to a few people I’ve known–one, in fact, who was divorcing his wife and said that a main problem was how late she sleeps!–and I just wonder.

For me, as long as I get a solid 7-8 hours of sleep anytime, anywhere, I’m good to go! Whether I sleep from 9pm-5am or 4am-11am, doesn’t matter for me. Maybe I’m lucky :)

23. Preeti @ Heart and Mind August 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Hulbert,

I am late to the party! as things have been hectic at my end!

Good to see your guest post here and read about inspiring people who get up early! Unlike me! Having kids means I want to stay up in peace after I put them to sleep so I sleep late and wake up when kids wake up.

How is life with you?
    Preeti @ Heart and Mind recently posted..101 Changes- Change 7- Watch Less Television

24. Cori Padgett August 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm #

OK so I’ve “almost” been convinced I need to work harder to get up a little earlier. Almost. I think I need some more though, cuz I’m sleepy.

Really I do feel ten times better and more productive when I rise early. My problem during summer months though is that I have no real REASON to rise early other than those I give myself..so it becomes easier and easier to go to bed later and sleep later.

Problem is I’m way less effective when I’m tired and going to bed late, and sleeping late perpetuates tiredness for me.

Hmnn… so I even almost just convinced myself I need to get up earlier! Almost…
    Cori Padgett recently posted..Pipe Dreams are for Losers- Why Not Sculpt Your Own Reality Instead

25. Patti Foy August 24, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

Hi Hulbert and Jean,
    What an ingenious way to write about early rising! Very interesting (thank you) and HELPFUL (thank you even more!) I have been struggling with this and as I don’t exactly have trouble getting up early I DO have trouble getting enough sleep (especially since starting blogging — I am always excited.)

But one of your interviewees said it’s important to go to bed AT THE SAME TIME EVERY NIGHT. This just might be the missing piece to my puzzle. At the very least, it’s worth a try.

Wish me luck, and thanks for the great post.
    Patti
    Patti Foy recently posted..Employing Color – Our Overlooked Ally

26. Layla August 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm #

I get up fairly early (6:08, after pressing snooze once) and am thinking of getting up even earlier.

All my friends stay up later than I do, and I was wondering if you can get the same effect by sleeping for an hour or so in the afternoon?
    Layla recently posted..Goodbye dear coffee mug

1. The 4 AM to 6 AM Club - Page 7 - August 20, 2010

[…] a good resource on tips, advice, and inspiration for becoming an early riser. Here is the link: How to Become an Early Riser Blogger | Virgin Blogger Notes Good night and see you guys in the morning tomorrow. __________________ From Bottom […]

2. The 4 AM to 6 AM Club - Page 7 - August 20, 2010

[…] a good resource on tips, advice, and inspiration for becoming and early riser. Here is the link: How to Become an Early Riser Blogger | Virgin Blogger Notes Good night and see you guys tomorrow morning. __________________ From Bottom […]