How to Find Blog Post Inspiration

A guest post by Kate Irwin of www.improvedconfidence.com

Have you ever had a day when ideas for blog posts swam around in your head like tadpoles in spring, but as soon as you sat down to write, those tadpoles turned into frogs and hopped away?

Occasionally, I’ll sit at my laptop–usually when I have a deadline!–and have no idea what to write, what topic to cover, or where to begin. My brain seems devoid of motivation, inspiration, or ideas and is filled with closed doors and frustrations.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this, so when the words stop flowing and all creativity has vanished, try one of these tips:

Don’t push it. The more I stare at the blinking cursor and blank screen, the more frustrated and uninspired I feel. So just let go, trust that inspiration will come, and do something else. I go into my teeny-tiny garden, water my vegetables and herbs, and stare at the sky while breathing deeply. Anything that takes your mind off the task at hand will help, such as making a cup of tea, calling a friend, walking around the block, blasting your favorite song and boogieing around the room, or meditating for 15 minutes. I find it best to do something that doesn’t require too much concentration, as tension and irritation seem to block ideas from flowing. Just relax and switch off, and ideas will soon tumble into your mind with abundance.

Think about what you’re afraid of. Often when our channels of inspiration are blocked, it’s because we’re afraid. If I don’t get my own post or a guest post written in time, I’m worried I may let down the blog owner or myself or lose out on an opportunity. Perhaps you’re worried that people won’t like your posts or that the posts won’t be read. The possibilities are endless on this one, but look a little deeper. When your fears have been identified, you’ll be able to address and overcome them and move on.

Do something you’ve never done before. Watch a foreign film, pick up a book or magazine which you normally wouldn’t give a second glance, or try something new for lunch. Doing different things opens your mind to the possibilities of many more new things, and inspiration flows.

Experience something great. Take in a work of art by one of the masters, a piece of music by Beethoven, or a classic poem, and remember what humans have achieved and are capable of. Your brain is an amazing thing and knows that if Van Gogh can create paintings like that after half a bottle of absinthe (or because of it?) you are more than capable of writing a 1000 word blog post. I don’t recommend the absinthe!

Read over your last 5-8 posts. Often, when you made a decision on which way to take these posts, they could have just as easily veered down a different path. Explore this path now.

Seek out inspirational materials. Create a collection of motivational quotes or find a motivational video to watch on YouTube. As your brain feels motivated, it will relax and allow inspiration to enter.

People watch. One of my favorite past-times is sitting outside a coffee shop by a busy street and just observing people. I never cease to be astounded by the variety of people and their interactions. Listen to snippets of conversations, hear how a mother is telling off her child, check out the dude with the pink hair, and feel your heart melt at the elderly couple holding hands. London is great for this, as there is so much diversity, but even the Stepford Wives could provide inspiration. People are simply fascinating, so take a notebook! As a side note, check your behavior when you do this–it’s easy to start judging people.

Think through the previous day from beginning to end. Who did you talk to? What did you see? What made you smile, get angry, or feel disappointed? Anything that evoked an emotion can usually provide inspiration for a post.

And finally, write about your writer’s block!

Your turn: Do you ever have ‘blank’ days? What inspires you?

Bio. Kate is passionate about helping others attain happiness through improving confidence and self-esteem. Visit her blog for an instant happiness boost! You can also download a free workbook to improve your confidence instantly.

If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy 57 Smokin’ Tips to Thaw Blogging Brain Freeze.

77 Responses to How to Find Blog Post Inspiration

1. Cristina August 23, 2010 at 6:51 am #

These are all gread ideas for getting inspiration flowing again, thanks for sharing.

I love how you ended the post “The next time inspiration deserts you, don’t worry–it’s only popped out for a bit and will be back soon. Just remember to leave the door open for it!”

This is so true. Inspiration sometimes goes on holiday – and often that happens when we need a break, too! – so it’s important to remember that it’s just temporary, and that it’ll be back.

I find free-writing helpful too – I write about anything that pops into my mind, quickly, without self-editing. Sometimes I find little seeds that can become lush plants; when that doesn’t happen, at least I know that I’ve practiced my writing :)
    Cristina recently posted..A calming retreat by the sea

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 10:53 am #

Hi Christina,
      Free writing is great, I often find that writing whatever is in my head may not form a great post at the time…..but when I come back to it a few days or even weeks later, I can make a great post from it!
      And yes, we also need to realise when we need to take a holiday:)

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:26 am #

I love freewriting too, Cristina. I might end up with six pages of writing that I’ll never use for anything, but that’s okay. I enjoy it immensely and there are usually some hidden gems in there somewhere.

• Andrew Walton September 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Freewriting is a great thing to do, even if you’re not stuck in a rut. You can come up with combinations of ideas that you never would normally. Even if you never “use” them, it’ll certainly help your artistry when you write.

I really like the point about people watching Kate, it’s not intuitive but it really can be inspiring (or at least entertaining).

2. Rick August 23, 2010 at 7:35 am #

Great list – needed it yesterday with my own blockage :). Will bookmark for next time.
    Rick recently posted..Judgment Both Ways

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Thanks Rick, hopefully it won’t happen again:)

• Rick August 23, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Oh it’ll happen again :) but this time I’ll be ready.
        Rick recently posted..Judgment Both Ways

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:28 am #

I’ve started a ‘blog post inspiration’ folder. Just knowing that it’s there helps keep writer’s block away.

3. rob white August 23, 2010 at 8:26 am #

Hi Kate,
    Not so much “blank days” but starts and stops. Sometimes I will get going on an idea only to realize it is forced and ultimately a dead end. It may seem like a great idea, but usually something in my mood and attitude keeps it from blossoming. So, I’ve learned to stop and relax. I walk and meditate until my attitude is up. We simply cannot do our best work if our attitude stinks… we are better off stopping and getting a nice cup of coffee (or whatever) and starting anew.
    rob white recently posted..BE-ing passionate is EXPRESS-ing with passion

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Hi Rob,

Isn’t it frustrating when something we think is going to be fantastic, turns into a complete damp squib and loses all it’s appeal? This in itself can change our attitude, so a good break and doing something to bring us up is the perfect antidote.

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:30 am #

I can so relate to this, Rob. There have been times I’ve tried to force a post because I think I ‘should’ write about something. Yuck. It feels like doing a homework assignment!

4. Alex@nichesitemarketing August 23, 2010 at 8:28 am #

I like the irony in your first tip :)

Great post, and a refreshing list of ideas here too, not that I would expect anything less from ANYTHING Jean would publish, author or otherwise.

Thanks Kate, awesome to read. Now I’m going to stop staring at this blinking screen…
    Alex@nichesitemarketing recently posted..Free traffic- magic backlinks- & flying pigs

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Thanks Alex, yes turn it off and get outside!!

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Alex, I’m hoping no one figures out that when I’m uninspired I just bring on another fabulous guest poster. Then, I just sit back and have a rest while they sparkle and shine!

5. Angela Artemis August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am #

Kate,
    Thanks for the great tips! I love re-reading old blog post because you’re absolutely right many times we choose to follow one idea, but there were others we could have brought out also.
    I also love: think of what you’re afraid of, do something you’ve never done before and experience something great.
    Thanks for this terrific post!
    Angela Artemis recently posted..How To Be Your Best – Surround Yourself with Inspiring People!

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 11:01 am #

Hi Angela,
      I love to do things which scare me (a bit weird I know!) but the feeling of exhilaration and achievement is a surefire way to get some inspiration.
      It is easy to put up blog posts and never look at them again, we forget what we have said, how good (or bad!) they were and lose out on loads of ideas. So looking at the old ones is a great way to pep up those brain cells.

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:37 am #

I was going through my archives one day for a link post I was creating and noticed exactly what Kate wrote about. I could have gone in another direction with most posts, plus there are many that could be expanded on. Most of us could do a whole lot with the material we’ve already written.

6. Evelyn August 23, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Hi Karen,

I do have blank days, but I simply take a break as you have suggested. After breaking from the laptop, I return more refreshed and my mind is clear.
    Evelyn recently posted..10 Things that Make me Happy

7. Evelyn August 23, 2010 at 9:50 am #

Hi Kate,
    Great tips!

When I get a blank it is usually because of what you have mentioned. When this happens, I usually take a break.

Once, I’ve taken a break, I usually come back refreshed and with a few ideas.

Take care!
    -Evelyn
    Evelyn recently posted..10 Things that Make me Happy

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 11:04 am #

Hi Evelyn,

Yep a break and a nice cup of tea works wonders for me! Tiredness and frustration are terribles for ideas so a little break can re-energise us and the ideas are back where they should be.

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:39 am #

My weekend digital sabbaticals have been helping me out a lot in that regard. The further away I get from my computer, the more ideas seem to come my way.

8. Kate August 23, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Thank-you very much for posting this, hopefully everyone will enjoy it and it will jolt a few imaginations to life.

Best wishes,
    Kate :)

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:42 am #

Kate, this is such a helpful post. It’s really a challenge to have a constant flow of fresh ideas, yet it’s necessary for our blogs to do well.

I appreciate you taking the time to write and share this!

9. caren gittleman August 23, 2010 at 11:34 am #

wonderful suggestions! Happens to all of us at some point or other. I usually start to fill with anxiety when it does.

Thanks for these wonderful ideas!

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com
    caren gittleman recently posted..NOOTERS CLUB® Apparel And Gifts Says Neuter Your Pets!

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Caren, you mean anxiety as in, “I’ll never have another idea?” That’s my normal tune :)

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

I so know that feeling, I will never have another idea, cue panic, all the ideas in the world have been used, oh my, what am I going to do?!
        Kate recently posted..Inspiration

10. Katie August 23, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Your voice is very reassuring, Kate. I love your advice and the kind way you serve it up. I use the “don’t push it” one to scrap ideas that just aren’t flowing. I also people watch and keep a close eye on my life for sparks of inspiration. I find when you are focused on what you love doing, ideas come in abundance … most times.
    Katie recently posted..How to Embrace First Day Jitters While Fending Off Your Inner Worry Wart

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Paying attention to my own life is my #1 source of ideas. Sure beats sitting around waiting for ideas to drop from the sky like I used to do :)

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Thanks Katie, sometimes forcing things just makes them grind to a halt, it is usually when we start to give up the ideas come back.
        Jean, wouldn’t that be nice, it is pouring with rain here at the moment, if each little drop contained an idea I would be set for life!
        Kate recently posted..Inspiration

11. Jered August 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

I really love your opening paragraph using the ideas swimming around in your head metaphor.

It really takes me aback when I sit down to write and all of the sudden it seems as though everything goes blank.

For me, I find one of the best ways to get inspiration during writer’s block is to pick up a book or read an article on my subject and read, looking for one main idea to latch onto. Then I free write for about half an hour on the topic thinking of all the things I have to say.

Then I break each topic into sub-ideas, and apply it to whatever niche I’m writing in.

Then I write as if I’m talking to someone.

Great article, Kate!
    Jered recently posted..Leading With Honesty

• Kate August 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

Jered, that is great, I think having a procedure really helps. We then get used to a certain routine bringing us new ideas then each time it happens we positively reinforce that belief……next time that routine brings us even more ideas:)
      Kate recently posted..Inspiration

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

That’s an awesome idea, Jered. We all have more to say on a topic than we give ourselves credit for, and free writing is the best way to bring it out.

12. Dia August 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

Hi Kate,

Nice post as always :) What I usually do is every idea that I get throughout the days, I write it down, then I make it an article. It takes a lot of time just thinking and getting new ideas. I agree that if we don’t have an idea, the best thing is to never push it. Thanks for sharing
    Dia recently posted..How to make people respect and honor you

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

One of my biggest challenges is keeping my ideas somewhere where I can find them again. I get ideas outside, in the car, when I’m out with friends, etc., and then end up with all this random bits of paper with scribbles on them. Not too efficient :)

• Kate August 24, 2010 at 1:13 am #

I have the same problem Jean, I always have great ideas when I am out and about with no where to jot them down. When I get home I can’t for the life of me remember what they were!!
        And I get through tons of post it notes……I think I need a new system!

13. Meg - Minimalist Woman August 23, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

This is a great bunch of tips, and I like the ones in the comments, too. I really relate to Cristina’s free-writing–so much so that I seldom bother with any other method in order to get going, and then finding out what it is I’m trying to say while writing it. Then it’s a matter of editing out whatever doesn’t contribute toward making my newly-discovered point. :)
    Meg – Minimalist Woman recently posted..Monday Morning Blogging in the Happy Chair

• Jean Sarauer August 23, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

‘My newly discovered point.’–that’s terrific, Meg!

• Kate August 24, 2010 at 1:15 am #

That is great, I find free writing can generate several articles, and often goes in a completely different direction than anticipated.

14. Jen August 24, 2010 at 9:01 am #

What great tips! Thank you! I have my days in writing AND in music that I struggle with from time to time.
    I appreciate the insight!!!
    Jen recently posted..Rockin’ up Dome Mountain

• Kate August 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

No probs Jen, I think we all need inspiration in lots of areas and most of these things can be carried to any situation. Sometimes I just need inspiration for what to do on a Sunday off!

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:06 am #

My stepson is a musician and he goes through the same thing. There can be long periods where inspiration seems far off, but then it comes at him in bucketloads.

15. John Sherry August 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

I like these ideas. All very manageable and doable which helps any writer be they would-be or award winner. I personally see the world as one big suggestion. I go outside and switch on my senses and see what arrives. And boy does it! There is a world of inspiration in the world and it’s fresh and new every single day. Like your style Katie but Jean always does use the best guest posters(don’t you Miss Virgin B?) Mwah!
    John Sherry recently posted..Why Home Is Where The Heart Is

• Jean Sarauer August 24, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

John, you do have a way with words :) I am going to remember ‘seeing the world as one big suggestion.’ That’s beautiful. And yes, the guest posters here are several levels up from top notch!

16. Kate August 24, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

John you smoothie, complimenting both of us in one sentence – you are good!!

I agree though, even in our normal, routine, day to day activities there is always something new which can inspire us. Sounds odd but looking up always helps, tops of buildings you never notice, funny looking clouds, birds and tree tops….and thats just getting to the end of the road!
    Kate recently posted..Inspiration

17. Aileen August 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Kate, These are great suggestions! When I’m stuck it is usually fear or trying to write something other than what’s trying to come in. – that moment of feeling like I’m trying to push it – that’s when I know it’s not happening.
    I love your suggestion about writing about the writers block. & the suggestion of revisiting your last posts to see what path(s) was left out.

Jean, I love that you have the link to your 57 tips for thawing brain freeze – the two posts go great together!!! rather brilliant!
    Aileen recently posted..The Legendary John Wooden Series- Enthusiasm and Industriousness

• Jean Sarauer August 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Well, since Kate and the other guest posters are doing all the work around here lately, I figured I’d better at least pop in a related link now and again :) Otherwise, my blogging license might get revoked!

18. Kate August 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Hey Aileen,

Sometimes we are focused on writing one thing….yet something else is trying to push through, I think always go for this one, these ideas only strike once and if we don’t act on them (even if timing is not great or they are not in the schedule) they are gone.
    This post came from writing about a block so hopefully it works!

19. Farnoosh August 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

Dear Kate, I felt we are almost kindred spirits. I do the same things. I walk away from my Mac, I go to my balcony to be with the plants, I steep tea, I put on classical music, I stretch in a down dog and then I try to listen to myself – I hear the words when I am really listening just pour in….most of my ideas come to me when I am driving to or from cycling/yoga class so I just record them on my iPhone and when home, play it and write down bits and pieces of idea which then turn into a draft – Although there is nothing like working under pressure. I publish every Tue and Fri and if I procrastinate, I have to push through that much harder ;)! THANK YOU for your beautiful AND useful ideas!!!
    Farnoosh recently posted..Alexander Dumas- “The Count of Monte Cristo”

• Jean Sarauer August 24, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

I have to get over and read your Count of Monte Cristo post! That is one I have saved to read when I can take my time and savor it.

• Kate August 25, 2010 at 2:05 am #

Farnoosh, we do sound very similar!
      There is nothing like pressure to keep us on our toes and prevent procrastination. A lack of inspiration can often be an excuse to procrastinate, but as you say, we need to push through this and get on with it.

20. jonathanfigaro August 24, 2010 at 11:06 pm #

Inspiration comes like creativity. The more you work on your craft the more inspired you become. Inspiration just doesn’t comes to you, if you lay down and do nothing. When you formula an idea to be the best or be decent at what we do. I hope you guys are looking to be the best at your field; the idea you have in your mind begins to cultivate momentum. With momentum, you can stop a tracker tractor and a avalanche. You have to start somewhere. Begin to work on your idea and watch your creativity and inspiration flow ride the beat of success.

• Kate August 25, 2010 at 2:08 am #

Hey Jonathan,
      I love that idea that trying to be the best creates inspiration and starts momentum. So true, like any thing else, practise makes perfect. (Or as near perfect as possible anyway!)

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:08 am #

I experience that momentum, Jonathon. When I get in the flow of the work, the creative sparks begin to fly!

21. Marion Anderson August 25, 2010 at 5:27 am #

Hi Katie

Great post. There is a lovely calm flow to it which is just what is needed when empty page panic is about to set in.

I like many of your ideas and I find that if I go and have coffee with a friend or just get out among people I can come up with some great ideas.
    Marion Anderson recently posted..How to Forgive – What you need to know about forgiveness

• Kate August 26, 2010 at 2:09 am #

Panic is one of the worst things for inspiration! Coffee with friends is great, we can get out and away from the screenin, chave a chat about things cimpletely unrelated and cime back refreshed.

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:09 am #

I end up scribbling things down when I’m with friends. They usually give me a ‘look’ because they wonder what flash of inspiration could possibly come from such ordinary moments, but I’ve gotten some great pieces out of snippets of conversation!

22. Hulbert Lee August 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

Nice post Kate. :) These are all great tips to find inspiration when we can’t come up with anything in the moment. I liked how many of these tips emphasize on doing something completely different other than sitting inside our rooms, such as watching a foreign film, observing people interactions at a coffee shop, or writing about writer’s blog, which I have done before too. 😉 Thanks for this!

P.S. I just interviewed you and now your here on Jean’s blog. It’s good that your getting exposure from all over the place!

• Kate August 26, 2010 at 2:11 am #

Hiya Hulbert,
      Yes everything seems to come at once! Really enjoyed doing the interviews, can’t wait to listen to the new one. Take care,and chat to you again soon.

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:10 am #

I’m challenged here in Wisconsin sometimes because it gets so snowy and cold that I don’t want to go out much. Thank goodness for great books and Netflix to help boost inspiration.

23. Bamboo Forest - Tick Tock Timer August 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Good ideas here. I think having a regiment like going for a walk each day or working in your yard each day can trigger ideas.

Often, I find I come up with ideas while on a walk. So, if you can figure out where you are when you come up with ideas, try to do that very thing consistently and you’re bound to come up with ideas for posts on a regular basis.

• Kate August 26, 2010 at 2:13 am #

Walking is great, but I agree, any routine which triggers ideas should be done daily……we then associate that routine or activity with ideas so they flow with ease.

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I was just reading a book on zen practices and the author was talking about the value of raking and how slow, repetitive movements will trigger creativity. Lucky for me we have about 1000 trees in our yard so I can soon give this a try :)

24. finallygettingtoeven.com August 26, 2010 at 5:42 am #

Hi Kate!

For me when I have nothing to say (which I have to admit is VERY rarely)..haha — Anyway, I always have things to say but sometimes I can’t get them into something that would make any sense to anyone else living outside this head of mine. I go hit my treadmill. That always seems to get not only the stagnant blood pumping through my body but the thoughts start pulsing out my ears…and I talk to myself. Yea, good thing I work out at home or they would probably have me locked up.

The treadmill has to be the most boring place on the planet and I might as well entertain myself while there and help pass the time.
    finallygettingtoeven.com recently posted..Armchair Traveler – Nikko- Japan

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:12 am #

Great idea about the treadmill. Physical movement seems to clear blocks for a lot of writers.

• Kate August 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

Hi Jan,
        I like the idea of boredom providing inspiration!! Although I agree with Jean it is more likely the physical movement…….concentrating on that can clear your mind of all the day to day distactions so good ideas can pop into your head!
        Kate recently posted..Take Action to Change Your LIfe

25. Shinta August 26, 2010 at 9:12 am #

Great article. I see a lot of bloggers write about their writer’s block. I haven’t done it though. What I usually do is read other people’s blogs/articles and see if I can get ideas or inspirations from what they said. I don’t mean copy their ideas, but sometimes, I have my own opinion on things and reading what they say about it gives me inspiration for the next post.
    Shinta recently posted..Earn Money from Home- The Tale of the Job that Got Away

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:14 am #

I like to read list posts and then pick out one of the tips/points to focus on. Then, I free write on the topic for awhile and can usually get the foundation of a post from that.

• Kate August 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Hi Shinta,
        I agree, reading other posts can be very inspiring, sometimes we find a point which really resonates or which we disagree with and this can be a whole new post!
        Kate recently posted..Take Action to Change Your LIfe

26. mijie August 26, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

• Jean Sarauer August 27, 2010 at 10:15 am #

I just adore that ‘world as one big suggestion’ mindset. With that attitude, there’s never a lack of inspiration!

27. Kate August 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

I love the way you look at the world, so true, there are new things to experience day in day out, even if we are simply doing the routine tasks.
    Kate recently posted..Take Action to Change Your LIfe

28. Cori Padgett August 29, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

I find when I’m feeling stuck, if I get up and move around a bit, redirect my brain, and maybe do a bit of exercise like squats or pushups, when I come back to write I have more clarity and ideas start coming. My friend Mars swears by exercises to exhaustion before even sitting down at your desk, and it’s killer for your focus, creative drive and productivity. So I plan on hitting the gym hard in the A.M. just before I sit down to write, and see how that works for me as well! lol
    Cori Padgett recently posted..You Might be an Ick Writer If…

1. Inspiration? | Improved Confidence.com - August 23, 2010

[…] Inspiration? Aug 23rd, 2010 by Kate. url='http://www.improvedconfidence.com/2010/08/23/inspiration/';Today I am lucky enough to have a guest post at Virgin Blogger Notes. It is all about inspiration and ideas, weel worth a read – you can have a look here. […]