Blogging collaborations are smoking hot these days, and with good reason.
Inviting a diverse blend of voices to share in an ebook or other project brings depth and fresh perspectives to a topic, not to mention it’s a great way to lighten the writing workload. Plus, promotional power for the project multiplies in proportion to the number of contributors involved.
That’s why I quickly said, “Yes!” when my friend, Farnoosh Brock of Prolific Living invited me to participate in Abukabar Jamil’s Life Lesson’s Series. Contributing to this collaboration seemed like a perfect way to show Virgin Blogger Notes’ readers how collaborations work, while writing from the heart for an amazing project.
The truth is, I’m a big believer in self-reflection as a tool for personal growth. I’m convinced that wrapped inside every circumstance is at least one lesson, as well as a blessing. The blessings nourish and sustain us on the road ahead, and the lessons–when we take care to heed them–give direction to our steps so we can stay on a path of peace and joy.
The guidelines for this collaboration ask that we share lessons we wish we would have known earlier in life, so with that in mind, here’s my list of ‘21 Essential Life Lessons‘:
- Be kind to everyone, including yourself.
- Don’t be possessed by possessions.
- Stay off the main roads.
- There are seven days in the week–‘some day’ isn’t one of them.
- Clean up your own messes.
- If you don’t have a plan for your life, someone else will.
- The world is as big or small as you make it.
- Life is really, really (really!) short.
- Drive your own bus.
- Grow as much of your own food as possible.
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- If you want a better life, think better thoughts.
- True direction comes from inside, not outside.
- Use what you have.
- People are all pretty much alike.
- Drama belongs on the page or the stage.
- You are not superior or inferior to anyone.
- If you don’t like your life, change it.
- Not everyone will like you.
- 99.5% of what you worry about will never happen.
- When someone invites you to join in a fabulous collaboration, say “Yes!“
Your turn: Do any of these lessons resonate with you, or do you have some others to share?