Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

A guest post by Farnoosh of Prolific Living.

Call me crazy but I think Personality is seriously under-represented around here. Personality is the light, unpopular and untouched side dish when served next to the other big players at the Self-Improvement Feast such as Will Power, Motivation, Communication Skills, Pursuit of Happiness, Discovering your Passion, Developing Zen Habits, and Time Management. Personality seems to be no more than a label – shy, outgoing, cheerful, ambitious, risk-taker or compassionate – a dozen or so generic descriptors of how one unique fabulous human being differs from another. You see, Personality has not been getting nearly enough of the spotlight in the world of blog headlines. Today we will put it up on the stage, analyze it from different angles and show you the sweet consequences of being true to your Personality as a blogger and a writer.

Personality is your disposition as a person. Personality is the sum of your characteristic traits including all of your quirks and your eccentricities. It is the unique person that you are the majority of your life – perhaps early childhood and really old age can be excluded with good excuse but you get the picture. It is the person you are outwardly and inwardly to your family and friends and all those who surround you and know you. It is the essence of who you are and how you interact, analyze, understand, digest and consume your surroundings, your world and your environment. Most of all, to always be living and breathing your own Personality is a remarkable step toward self-actualization.

Your Personality remains unchanged whereas your lifestyle and your habits can improve and in the process help you grow as a human being. So while those aspects of you evolve, your Personality is constant and it holds tremendous power in setting you apart as a blogger.

Jon Morrow, the Senior Editor of Copyblogger, emphasized during his seminar around guest-posting, how imperative it is for you to show your personality on your blog. He is right. You connect with your readers not just through your writing and your voice but through them knowing you on some level, being privy to your quirks and seeing you as a unique individual in a sea of other faces.

Let this powerful technique make you shine as a blogger!

In an effort to put Personality and all its wonders on a pedestal for your blogging career, first it is important to recognize yours. Next, you should become aware of all the ways you can shine with it. Last but not least, you should watch out for its weaker tendencies which may limit your success.

So do you know what kind of a blogger your Personality makes you? Here are 7 primary types to ponder:

1. If You Are a Shy Blogger

Why You Shine: Your quiet introvert nature will help you to focus on your blog’s work and growing your content and therefore keep you grounded and more productive. You are probably a quiet lurker, reading information without interruption of much email and social media and you are generally more informed and therefore in a better position to bring value to your readers.

What to Watch For: You might want to to slowly get your feet wet with building a network of blogger friends and becoming a part of the community. You may want to have some presence on social media and to your comfort level, interact with your readers and followers.

2. If You Are an Ambitious Blogger

Why You Shine: Your ambitious nature often makes you a risk taker and a serious person. This will make you a strong candidate for developing strong strategies and focusing on your goals. Your readers would respect and admire you for your attention to the growth and success of your blog and will draw inspiration from you.

What to Watch For: You may come across as distant, arrogant or perhaps cold and lacking compassion. You may wish to draw on personal stories in your writing and talk about setbacks which propel you forward and find ways to connect with your readers.

3. If You Are a Social Butterfly Blogger

Why You Shine: You will have no problems finding friends and followers and playing an active role in the community. You will enjoy a strong network and it will help your blog shine and grow and keep your content lively with much dialogue and interaction.

What to Watch For: You may want to be disciplined about staying focused on writing and taking care of blog business and not let your super friendly nature run away from you. You may have tendency to respond to every email and Twitter message immediately and these distractions can be harmful over time.

4. If You Are a Creative Blogger

Why You Shine: You are most likely artistic and carefree and can come up with fabulous creative content and products that never bore the readers. Your creativity can give the blog a unique position and make your brand memorable. Everyone wants to be in the know of the next step a creative mind takes.

What to Watch For: Your carefree nature may set you loose and far from the (minimum) necessary structure and attention the blog needs so be ware to do at least minimum due diligence in these areas.

5. If You Are a Selfish Blogger

Why You Shine: You put your own blog first and foremost and your own needs above others. You take good care of your own house before helping others. You know your priorities and the result will show in a well-maintained blog with excellent content and reasonable success. Your blog will attract attention and deserving respect and you would be an example to follow.

What to Watch For: You may find yourself too engrossed in your own world to take part in the community so beware not to fall into this trap. Promoting your own work is fine and necessary but why stop there? Remember to help make others as successful as yourself.

6. If You Are a Compassionate Blogger

Why You Shine: You sympathize with others and feel their happiness as well as their pain and sorrow and this shows in your writing and your participation in the community. You will have many followers and readers who can connect with you on many levels and draw encouragement from you. You write from the heart and enjoy a strong readership.

What to Watch For: Remember to put the well-being of your own blog also on the list while your focus remains in that of others. Making sure that your own foundation is strong is important and it takes some initial focus away from others but in the end, rest assured that your efforts benefits others.

7. If You Are an Analytical Blogger

Why You Shine: You are good with math and logic and love to analyze the health and direction of the blog. You are on top of your strategy and direction, your goals and your growth. All of this makes you an attractive blogger and deserving of attention and following. You will enjoy success from logically planning your steps and being resourceful and well-informed.

What to Watch For: Remember that being analytical may make you sound sterile and cold in your writing so add personal stories in your writing to connect with your readers. Have your analytical nature in check when writing content and connecting with your followers in social media.

Remember that your readers want the information, the expertise and the skill set as much as they wish to know the person behind it all. Inject that unique Personality in your blog world and let it make you shine before everyone!

“We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.”
~ Albert Einstein

What type of blogger does your Personality make you? Any of the 7 above or another of many not listed? Since I lean just a tad bit toward number 3, I cannot wait to read all your comments especially the one from Jean, the lovely woman behind Virgin Blogger Notes, who graciously accepted my guest post here.

Bio: Farnoosh started pursuing her passions only in the recent years where workaholism took a backseat and balance became a survival matter. She has a love for personal expression, writing, reading, traveling, yoga, healthy bites and self-improvement and explores these elements and more on her blog, Prolific Living. She is grateful to Jean Sarauer and thrilled to be contributing here to the fun Virgin Blogger Notes community.

Photo courtesty of Tobyotter (flickr)

102 Responses to Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

1. Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 6:44 am #

Dear Jean, I love that photo we discovered together. It compliments so well the idea of being true to our personality. Even dogs know this! Thank you for the pleasure of writing a guest post for you and for the Virgin Blogger Notes Community! I can’t wait to read the comments from the readers and get to know them better through their personalities! And don’t forget to tell me YOUR personality too……

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:26 am #

Okay, no more having fun without me on here :) Busy morning . . . whew!!! I love that photo too. It couldn’t be more perfect if we’d staged it ourselves.

It’s a huge privilege to have you here, Farnoosh!

As to personality, I am a creative social butterfly. Is that what you may have guessed?

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 10:52 am #

Sweet, we are indeed kindred souls. I do have the analytical, geeky side in there too and that can serve us well if need be, just in case. Thank you Jean :)!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Well, you know how much I suffer from a lack of geekiness, Farnoosh. I need all the help I can get there!

2. Michelle September 1, 2010 at 7:09 am #

This was a really fantastic post! I easily identified with a couple different blogging personality types and can see myself doing some of the “what to watch for” taboos. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on myself to make sure my focus is in the right place. Thanks!
    Michelle recently posted..How I Beat Writer’s Block

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 7:15 am #

Dear Michelle, so happy you enjoyed the post. You won’t tell us what personality type you are then? :) If I had to guess, it would be kind and considerate. Good luck with the focus and I may need to read that last post on beating a writer’s block soon!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Michelle, that’s how I really clarified which type(s) fit me best–I looked at the ‘what to watch for’ sections and saw the description fit me perfectly. Now I know what to work on!

3. Rosemary Hannan September 1, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Hey there Farnoosh & Jean
    This post made me so happy. I have just started my blog Offbeat Woman “A Life Less Serious” and would be so happy if either or both of you could give me some advice as to where I’m going with it. I am definitely more of a ‘personal writer’ than a ‘self improvement’ blogger as I have no training in life coaching or that type of thing. So the usual format doesn’t work for me as I have no ‘product’ to sell other than myself and my experiences and journies. But I believe that sometimes the ‘show don’t tell’ message works just as well in helping people to overcome lifes blows. Story telling and creativity was always a method of healing to our ancestors. I think it’s about the sharing of experiences both sad, humiliating and funny and maybe looking at life ‘less seriously’ sometimes. Knowing that others have messed up and survived is a great panacea for our trials and tribulations. I only started my blog a few weeks ago so I’m not sure what actual shape it is going to take, but I am at a stage in my life where I am really excited because I feel as though I’m on the verge of a great adventure and would love to share it. Does this make any kind of sense to you? HELP!!! :))
    Rosemary Hannan recently posted..Oh Crumbs!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 7:19 am #

Hi dear Rosemary, thank you so much for sharing so much with us and if you don’t know by now, we LOVE newbie bloggers – because we feel that way at least one day a week (if not more!) – I have no products or services offered through my blog either yet and no training in “self-improvement” or life coaching. It is just me and my voice and my experience about which I write so I can resonate with you completely. Being new to blogging can be so overwhelming. If you tell me what personality type you are, I can help you focus and learn better perhaps. Do write about your personal experience. It will create authentic and unique content which readers crave. Don’t worry about the “actual shape” one bit – it will be fluid and change as much we do and that’s part of the fun. Be open to learning, participate in the blogging community (you are off to a fab start) and be receptive to feedback but don’t lose your own voice at the expense of anything. Does this help at all? Hope so. Thanks for your comment!

• Rosemary Hannan September 1, 2010 at 8:12 am #

Thank you so much for your reply Farnoosh. I really appreciate your feedback.I would say I am definitely the ‘creative’ type of blogger as not knowing where it’s going is the really exciting part for me…it’s so lovely because I find that if I can let inspiration off the leash then I will always find that something wells up from deep inside to write about. I can see exactly what you mean though, about making sure that I don’t wander so far off the map that I lose even myself! :) Also I will be watching to make sure that I’m not just being self indulgent in what I write. Thank you thank you thank you, I will be following your blog very closely! :)
        Rosemary Hannan recently posted..Oh Crumbs!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Perfect, Rosemary – the creative types are fun and most suited for the blogging world. My background is very analytical (not one but two engineering degrees, argh) but I finally let my creative site out and it’s amazing what we can accomplish. Keep it up! Come visit me or Jean anytime! Subscribe to both blogs too if you feel so inclined and know that we’ll be watching you, girl! You are most welcome!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Rosemary, I think Farnoosh is right on with her thoughts. I’m all for branding, focus, etc., . . . but even when a person does have clarity at the beginning of the path, we learn so much by just writing and going where that leads us. So, even when people feel certain of their goals at the beginning, I recommend they stay open and flexible to new ideas and directions.

The best part of letting creativity and passion lead you at the outset is that you KNOW you’re not going to be a copy of someone else. Later, after you’ve been blogging for awhile, you’ll be able to see your body of work taking shape, and from there you’ll perhaps have an idea of products and services that are well suited to your style, as well as to the audience that grows up around your writing.

You’re doing great, so just keep on and stay open!

4. rob white September 1, 2010 at 8:26 am #

Well said Farnoosh… as usual your personality shines through. I love your Einstein quote. The intellect can stifle creativity. Tight control can be the death of a creative work. The best way to let our personality shine through is to be dumb and just write from the heart. Blogging is no fun when we don’t express ourselves creatively and authentically.
    rob white recently posted..How to Vanish Tension in These Tough Times

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Hi Rob, so nice to see you here but you are not revealing to us your personality, no?
      Anyway, I don’t really understand the “to be dumb” – do you mean to be ourselves (which I hope to God is not the same thing ;))! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Hi Rob. I have a content plan and an editorial calendar because I want the library of content here to grow in a particular fashion, but I love to toss it aside and follow creative urgings when they lead me in another direction. Every library needs a ‘passion and joy’ section, right?

5. Tony Teegarden September 1, 2010 at 8:31 am #

Jaw dropping article in my opinion my dear Farnoosh. You never cease to impress me with your level of expertise in expression and articulation.

This topic is one of them that really resonates with me.

“Personality is the light, unpopular and untouched side dish when served next to the other big players at the Self-Improvement Feast such as Will Power, Motivation, Communication Skills, Pursuit of Happiness, Discovering your Passion, Developing Zen Habits, and Time Management.”

Isn’t that the damn truth?!

I’m not about the “light side dish” and never have been. I tried it for a while (Ok a few years) when I started blogging 4 years ago and I just said screw it! Why am I not being MYSELF.

I know my writing still has a long way to go but is getting better, with your insight to boot lol. I always so appreciate your help and this article was a big support.

Such a wonderfully insightful post Farnoosh and one I’m implementing asap.

Thank you!
    Tony Teegarden recently posted..3 Keys To Creating A Self Development Plan That Doesn’t Suck

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 9:36 am #

Tony, you are a darling for saying everything – flattery gets you everywhere with me. Go on, say more :)! Seriously, I am *blushing* – thank you so much for appreciating the post in such sincere words and thank you for being yourself and articulating your thoughts for us. All our writings have a long way to go – in fact, we are nowhere near our destination. We have only just begun and I know – I just know – it’s going to be a fantastic journey. Thank you Tony for adding your beautiful thoughts here!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:39 am #

Tony, I can’t imagine you ever being a light side dish :) Now you’re savory and delicious, leaving me satisfied but still wanting more.

6. Tony Teegarden September 1, 2010 at 9:03 am #

Oh and yes I realize I did too many adverbs in my last sentence but I just wanted to accentuate how much I dug the post :-) (I’m still learning lol)

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 9:36 am #

That’s alright. I know what you meant…..! I dug that you dug the post!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Virgin Blogger Notes rule: Never shoot an adverb when attached to a compliment.

7. Abubakar Jamil September 1, 2010 at 9:04 am #

Okay this one I wasn’t expecting.

Farnoosh you have written about blogging and writing, much better than the people who only blog about such topics, AND you have come up with a topic that at least I have not seen covered, in this much detail on any blog that is based on such topics.

It is a thought provoking post that any anyone serious about blogging must not only read, but should actually print, and then follow through.

By the way, I’m gonna do that myself. 😉

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 9:38 am #

Dear Abu, thank you – It came to me when I was at Jon’s webinar the other day and started to bubble like a crazy idea out of control. We really do not see personality explored much in the self-improvement arena and I am very happy to give it a bit of attention here. Thank you for the vote of confidence and don’t forget to tell us what personality type suits you best because you are a hard one to figure out, even for me ;)!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:45 am #

Abubakar, you are right. This is a unique topic and endlessly fascinating. For me, the tips on what to watch out for are jewels to keep close to my heart!

8. Harriet September 1, 2010 at 10:07 am #

As someone who reads blogs rather than writes them, I find personality very important. Blogs that just throw out information, no matter how well written it is, are boring unless it reflects the authors personality!

This post is great! I particularly enjoyed the part about the different types of blogger, very enlightening!
    Harriet recently posted..Rolex Explorer 1

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Hi Harriet. How delightful to get the thoughts of a blog reader vs. a blog writer. I have the same thoughts when it comes to showing personality in writing and love it when writers let it shine!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 11:02 am #

Hi Harriet, we love readers – with or without blogs – thank you for sharing your thoughts and adding to the discussion – and also giving a thumbs up to our friend, Personality!

9. Marion Anderson September 1, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Wow Farnoosh I do like this post.

I always think that it is so important to be yourself I don’t think I really thought about how important it was on your blog.

Marion Anderson recently posted..A vision for your life – are you living your dream

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 10:51 am #

Hi Marion. When someone lets their personality come through in their writing (and design, comments, etc.) I feel like I’m in their ‘house’ when I’m on the blog and it makes me feel a strong sense of relationship. Love it!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 11:06 am #

Dear Marion, thank you for being such a kind reader and always such a positive voice. Yes, I live and breathe (AND write through) my personality….I look for others who do the same.

10. Jered September 1, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Great article, Farnoosh.

I really enjoy how you broke the different personalities into separate points that read like a horoscope or answers to a personality test

For me, I identify with all of the personality types from time to time, and can’t really pinpoint a specific type that I can claim as the “one and only.”

Very interesting.
    Jered recently posted..Managing Your Leadership Energy

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 11:35 am #

Hi Jered, thank you for saying that – I think that I can lend myself to all of them from time to time but I think with personalities, the strong, more dominating trait would be where you would fall – the natural, most common and most frequent way you tend to behave….course, you could just be really well-balanced ;)! Thanks for your comment!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Jered, I just read through the traits again thinking I’d be able to pinpoint you for sure, and I couldn’t do it! I definitely haven’t seen a selfish side in you though so we could likely kick that one to the curb.

11. caren gittleman September 1, 2010 at 11:40 am #

oh how I loved this!!

I think I am a combination of Number 3 and Number 6….(Social Butterfly and Compassionate)…

I would also be interested to hear what others think that I am…

Sadly oftentimes I come in contact with too many selfish bloggers…so sad, they are missing out on so much!!!
    caren gittleman recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Charlie

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Hi dear Caren, I think we have 3 in common for sure but I don’t want to flatter myself to say I am a 6 yet :)! I think we can learn and still befriend selfish bloggers – I really do see selfishness as a virtue to some extent and yes, perhaps they may be missing out but our differences are what make us fun as people. :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope others add to your question too!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

You’re definitely social, Caren, and I’ve seen your compassionate nature as well. Your writing makes me see you as creative too.

• caren gittleman September 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

Jean thank you!

I still need a lot of work on the creative aspect. Actually I have to never stop learning/growing….I haven’t mastered any one category…will always be a work in progress

Thanks for your kind words!
        caren gittleman recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Charlie

12. Sharbori September 1, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Farnoosh,

this is a nice way of looking at how bloggers express themselves through their blog. Umm, I am not really sure of being in any one particularly but perhaps a bit more analytical and may be a bit creative but can’t be too sure.

Jean, what would you say about my blog? what is the personality?

However, I really like the way the segregation has been made and this itself will give both readers and writers plenty of ideas about what to look for and what to write.
    Sharbori recently posted..Being Female!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

Hi Sharbori,
      I love that name! Well, you know what – I swing between a few of these too – like I mentioned to Jered above, I think the more dominating ones are the ones that are your main characteristic/personality traits…..And you seem to see yourself in those 2 areas which is a potent combination (in a good way!) :) Thank you for your comment here!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Sharbori, I also see a strong sense of compassion in much of your writing. You use creativity and analysis to weave many of your posts, yet I feel that compassion (and a wish for fairness for all) is part of the overall fabric.
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

13. Hulbert Lee September 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Hey Farnoosh, good to see you here.

I enjoyed reading this post. I think I started out with number one and five, a shy and selfish blogger, then slowly worked my way up to a number two and six, an ambitious and compassionate blogger. But I do think I have personality traits from all seven. I definitely agree that having more personality is somewhat underrated and can do much to help your blog shine. I see a lot of personality in you and Jean as well as your guys’ blogs. It’s very inspiring. :)

Thanks for this personal horoscope, and by the way, I love that picture. Clever!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Hello Hulbert, I think personality remains pretty constant – and I do see you as a wonderfully shy blogger but I do see also how you are blossoming in your communication skills too. Deep down, I think you would still be more shy but I honestly can’t see the selfish! 😉 Thank you for reading, for commenting, for enjoying this and for adding your sweet thoughts here!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

I can’t see a selfish speck in you anywhere, Hulbert. It’s interesting though because someone once told me when I was feeling shy that being shy is actually selfish because we are withholding our light from others. Now that made me think! You definitely have an analytical side to you. Whatever you are, you are wonderful!
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

14. Sharbori September 1, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

Hi Farnoosh and Jean,

thank you, lovely blog. I like the personalities have been thought through and described. Umm, for me, I can’ really make up what I am, but i know what i am not, i am not an ambitious blogger yet.

what do you think Jean? which type is more my style?

This post will also help readers and writers alike to look for what attracts them and what suits them respectively! great post.
    Sharbori recently posted..Being Female!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Dear Sharbori, thank you and good to see you again! All I can say right now from first glance at your blog is that you are shining, you look beautiful and very happy…..I am sure your writing reflects that too.

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Sharbori’s beautiful smile was one of the first things that drew me to her. I think I first met you over at We Blog Better, right Sharbori? Wherever it was, I followed the link and saw your beautiful smile. I knew you were a woman I could connect with right away.
        Jean Sarauer recently posted..Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

• Sharbori September 6, 2010 at 8:51 am #

Hey Farnoosh and Jean,

thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. Yes, Jean I think we connected from the very beginning and that is what keeps bringing me back here, again and again.
          Stay well. :-)
          Sharbori recently posted..What is your idea of peace for yourself

15. Keith Davis September 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Hi Farnoosh
    You are becoming a real superstar blogger – many congratulations.

Love the quote…

Along those lines I’d add another quote…
    “Facts tell… emotions sell.”

See you at your next guest post Farnoosh.
    Keith Davis recently posted..Two way traffic

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Hi Keith, yes I am super famous now – I even bought my Oscar’s costume, it is a gorgeous shade of blue! :)
      The quote is Einstein’s – and it’s brilliant as the owner of the words…..I like yours though…..very much. Although why it has not yet made me a multi-millionaire is beyond me. Thank you for reading and sharing!

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Farnoosh is a celebrity blogger of the highest degree. And because she is such a celebrity, she must have many, many outfits, right Farnoosh?
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

16. Tess The Bold Life September 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Farnoosh,
    This is full of creativity, passion and of course your wonderful personality and presence. We need a catagory for bloggers who have the “star power” or “it factor.” That would be you;)
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..Feeling Jealous Shine Your Light On It…

17. Sandra Lee September 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Farnoosh, A truly terrific overview of personality types and how they relate to your blog. Love the pitfalls to beware of. I’ve been thinking on this topic so this article is synchronicity in action!

I would love to be a compassionate blogger – that’s my goals. I’m also a funny of a mix of shy, ambitious (but not super so), and analytical!
    Sandra Lee recently posted..Timeless blogging advice- 12 great links

• Jean Sarauer September 1, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

You already come across as compassionate, Sandra, so it’s interesting that you are working towards that. And I would not have known you were shy, but I think that’s true with many bloggers. When we blog, we can all have a little more bravado than we may otherwise.
      Jean Sarauer recently posted..Making Your Personality Shine Through Your Blog

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

Hi Sandra, so nice to see you as always! I can see so much compassion in you but I think shy may be there to some extent too…..and analytical can only come in useful. Oh good I see Jean agrees with me on the compassionate one! And nothing wrong with a healthy dose of ambition especially for a well of information such as AlwaysWellWithin!

18. Jessy September 1, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

This is very true and very untrue. Some is great but when you become fussy or whinny it is not. I like to read about what happens to people and their lives but when they hit on complainy, I will not continue with them.

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

Hi Jessy and thank you for your comment but you may have to help us better understand what you mean. So whining is not necessarily a personality type – it is a reaction to a circumstance……and definitely not a pleasant one. Come to think of it, I don’t know any whiny bloggers, thank goodness ;)!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:42 am #

Clearly you have never seen me before coffee, Farnoosh. Whiny indeed!

19. Arvind Devalia September 1, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Farnoosh, a great post and a wonderful example of your versatile skills and growing prowess as a blogger.

I carefully went through your 7 different types and almost decided not to write anything here – because of course as you and Jean know, I am a very shy blogger. In fact I might even ask Jean to delete this comment as I really don’t want to shine and stand out:-)

However, if I was to put my shyness to one side for a few minutes (if that’s okay with you), I would say that I am quite a few of these different types, but primarily I am a compassionate blogger. I do write from the heart and I really and genuinely do care for people and my followers (apart from the occasional rant, like today’s post)

I cannot ever do enough for others and the lesson for me is to put my own needs and well-being of my blog first. So at the moment I am focussing on building my own foundation via a blog redesign and other features. I realise that for now I need to focus on me and not so much on others, as in the end others will benefit much more from my efforts.

I am also an ambitious blogger and have big plans for my blog. Since my theme is “Make it Happen” for a better you and a better world, to me it must ultimately be a world class blog with a huge following. Otherwise how else can we make it a better world?!

I can also be a bit of a geek and an analytical blogger. Farnoosh, like you I am from an engineering background and can easily spend hours analysing numbers etc.

Occasionally I can also be creative, especially when it comes to the multi skills of bloggers hitherto unknown.

Finally I am also a social butterfly and enjoy nothing more than spending hours of social media making new friends.

So that’s me, a “shy” blogger with a lot to offer and clearly a lot to say:-)

Thanks Jean and Farnoosh for allowing me a forum to get over my innate shyness.
    Arvind Devalia recently posted..Why You Are So Insignificant You Might As Well be Dead!

• Farnoosh September 1, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

My goodness – I think you are a hopeless case, Arvind. So many things fit you that we might need the secret # 8 personality style just for you ;)!
      Such a fun response – I so enjoyed it. You ARE compassionate – all your emails helping me and giving me suggestions on every detail and passing on your advice about blogging! I can hardly forget. So thoughtful. I think the analytical side helps us, Arvind – and it’s important to at least know what’s happening and where our blog or the community is moving so we can prepare better and impact it more strongly. Thank you for the response and now and as promised, you are now fully qualified for a Farnoosh guest post on your fabulous blog. Pleasure is ALL mine of course. Here’s hoping you accept it – I shall work hard to write a delicious piece for you!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:43 am #

You not only came out of your shyness shell, Arvind, you exploded out of it! You sure do make blogging fun :)

20. Angela Artemis September 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Farnoosh,
    Your post was brilliant. I love how you broke down the 7 types of bloggers. I see myself in a few of those categories. It’s so true you do have to let your personality shine through! I love making friends with new people and learning about their lives. Blogging is awesome!
    Angela Artemis recently posted..Do You Teach What You Most Need to Learn

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 5:25 am #

Angela, how nice to see you here too – I just responded to your comment over on my blog! Yes I think we may belong a little to each category but I really think there may be a dominating one in there somewhere. Blogging however is awesome, you can’t say that enough times!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I am especially fond of your personality, Angela, no matter what category is leading the way on any given day.

21. Clearly Composed September 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

Very clever way to define all those here in the blogging playground. Blogs with a voice are more engaging, compelling and authentic. There’s something that can’t be faked as well when it comes to the passion behind the words so it’s best, in my opinion, to let your voice sing loud and proud on your blog, like a pied piper, playing your unique message…those meant to hear it will come. :)
    Clearly Composed recently posted.. Tuesday’s Thought

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 5:27 am #

Dear Emma, really beautifully said – more so than I did in the post itself…..those meant to hear it shall come, yes I believe that too – keeping that voice alive and well through our writing is key and I think everyone I have stumbled across in this community is true to their voice….a sign of the richness of what we have created together. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:46 am #

Such a good point on being true to your message and trusting that the right people will hear it at the right time. We’re never going to appeal to everyone, and that’s just fine. Some folks like vanilla ice cream and some like strawberry. I’m a vegan so don’t like any :) That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with ice cream, it just means it’s not my thing, and that’s how it is when people don’t seem to ‘like’ us either.

22. Preeti @ Heart and Mind September 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Farnoosh,

It is great to see your post here! Jean’s blog is becoming a great hub for guest posts and that’s where the party at!

You really let your personality shine through here, I really liked how you break down on 7 personality types and how it could work for them. Great tips and suggestions, your enthusiasm and energy is shining through the writing as always!
    Preeti @ Heart and Mind recently posted..Wisdom gained from our camping trip

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 5:29 am #

Hi Preeti! Jean was so kind to accept my post. A great hub she is – like the American Airlines hub in Chicago – (I love airport and airlines so I am really giving her the big praise here ;))! – thank you for reading and enjoying, Preeti…..You let yours shine in all you say and do, that’s no secret….keep it up and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:47 am #

Glad to hear you love airports or I would be wondering what was up with the American Airlines comparison :)

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:47 am #

I love having these great guest posts – it really does seem like a party. Woohoo!

23. Cori Padgett September 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Hmnn..I started out as number 1.. now I think I’m a muddy blend of numbers 2,3,and 4. lol With maybe a dash of 6 and a healthy aversion to 7! And here’s to praying I’m not ever seen as a 5! 😀

Great post Farnoosh, very insightful.. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it’s given me quite a bit of food for though, especially with the things to watch out for. I confess I often let distractions get the best of me, but I’m a workin’ on it! XoXo
    Cori Padgett recently posted..Avoid a Freelance Fail with Creativity- “Bread and Buttah”- and Rainbow Colored Toe-Socks

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 5:30 am #

Cori, distractions get all of us – I think even Darren has admitted to being distracted!! It’s impossible to stay focused constantly with all the great things that distract us…..but no matter, I am so happy to see you here in Jean’s post especially after the recent chats we had. So glad you enjoyed the post, thank you for taking time to share a bit more about yourself with us!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Yeah, distractions. I hear that! I keep finding tricks and techniques to improve focus, but without conscious effort, I’m in big trouble.

24. Karen September 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

Hi Farnoosh and Jean,

What a unique post, Farnoosh. I enjoyed reading it. I think I’m probably a combination of all those lovely blogger types – at different times, of course :-) No split personality here :-)
    Karen recently posted..How To Motivate Yourself In Times Of Stress

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 5:32 am #

Hello Karen, thank you so much! Lovely to know you are balanced across all 7 Karen…..You get benefit of all of them! :)

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 8:50 am #

Your personality definitely is multi-faceted, Karen. That’s one reason I enjoy your writing so much. I never know which side of you will shine out on any given day.

25. Lance September 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Great to see you here, Farnoosh!

So fun to read this, and read the responses (and…great thoughts on what to watch out for, too!!)

You, my friend, shine!

Me? Based upon reading this, I would be a cross between social butterfly and compassionate blogger. I guess that would maybe make me compassionately social?? Or would it be socially compassionate??

{I’m torn…which one is it!!!!}
    Lance recently posted..You’re Beautiful!…Yes- YOU!

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Dear Lance, responding from the iPhone so hope it makes it through!!
      You are a deeply compassionate soul with far too many social skills to list! And a poet, a geek (Scribe baby!) and an athlete to boot! Many things you are Lance and most of all, you are a friend and indispensable part of the community! :)
      Thanks for the read, the comment and the RT!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Lance, I love the sound of ‘socially compassionate.’ If we get to vote on your personality, I’m going with that one!

26. Aileen September 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

How wonderful to see Farnoosh here!
    …and I love the photo you two chose! It captures personality perfectly!

I simply love, love, love this brilliant and eye opening post! I do recognize when a blog has a clear personality and it’s something I admire when I see it as a reader, yet I hadn’t given it enough thought to analyze my own blog.

Farnoosh, your words wake me up and tell me to take a closer look at the personality of my blog. I feel it’s a bit unclear right now. You’ve given me a great guide to help analyze it as it is/ what it can be …”what to watch for.”
    Aileen recently posted..3 Building Blocks to Success

• Farnoosh September 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Hello Aileen, thank you for your thoughts and I am so happy you enjoyed the post! We had fun with the photo selection, no doubt!
      You know, I think your personality already comes through on your blog. I would love more personal stories from your life to get to know you better and I am very visual so more photos of you will also add so much richness to your blog. Just food for thought and always only do what feels right for you, needless to add! Thanks so much for leaving a comment here!!!

• Jean Sarauer September 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

I just read Farnoosh’s response and I totally agree with that, Aileen. Your personality already comes through and I’d love to see you build on that with more stories or pics. You’re a fascinating person to me and have had some amazing experiences. We can’t get enough of Aileen!

27. Mandeep September 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

Interesting post. I wonder if some people hide their personality while blogging to remain a little more professional?
    Mandeep recently posted..How to get more comments on your blog- Is it all about statistics

• Jean Sarauer September 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

Mandeep, sometimes people radically filter what they reveal for professional reasons. I’m not sure how I feel about that . . . I suppose sometimes there’s no choice, but it seems that if a person has to do that, then perhaps they’re in the wrong profession?

• Farnoosh September 6, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

Mandeep,
        Absolutely they do! Everyone has some personality traits and some choose to put on a mask to blend in or appear professional or just not focus too much on who they are and only on what they do – I really think there is a time and place to do all of that but our personality is ingrained in us and if we do things that deny us the pleasures of who we are, it just does not lend itself to much happiness…my thoughts anyway! Thanks for the question!
        Farnoosh recently posted..Third Audio Podcast- On 5 Pillars of Health

28. Devesh September 3, 2010 at 6:02 am #

Furnoosh,

Another Guest poster here.

Super-awesome wonderful Post girl And really catchy title.

And i live the Einstein quote :).

Thanks for sharing this great Post Furnoosh.

~Dev
    Devesh recently posted..How to Get 10 High-Quality Links In 30 Minutes Or Less

• Jean Sarauer September 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Hi Dev. Have I been blessed by the guest posting gods or what?

• Farnoosh September 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

Hi Devesh,
      Is that a new nickname for me or just a new spelling? 😉
      If you LIVE the Einstein quote, you oughta be writing about it and sharing the wisdom…
      Jean is a sweet heart and we are blessed to have this space to contribute to her wonderful community. Thank you!
      Farnoosh recently posted..Third Audio Podcast- On 5 Pillars of Health

29. Katie September 3, 2010 at 6:57 am #

Farnoosh, how lovely to see you here at Jean’s amazing blog. Your personality, and Jean’s, are what bring me back to your blogs over and over. Hopefully, you’ve helped people infuse their blogs with their own unique voice, style and personality, but also you’ve given us great ways to think about how we communicate. I believe I have a little bit of each of your types in me – if I balance them well I think they can all serve me and my readers. Much love to both of you.
    Katie recently posted..How to Launch Your Own Mutiny &amp Toss That Unhealthy Self Overboard

• Jean Sarauer September 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

Your personality shines like a beacon from Momentum Gathering, Katie. We almost need a whole new category for you because you transmit such positive energy.

• Farnoosh September 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Katie, so nice to see you here – you know, I yearn with curiosity to see what the two of you write and I think it stems from the very same reason – that I am attracted to the beautiful personalities you portray in here and other parts of social media. We follow those we like – and of course, to me you are in perfect balance, just like the ideal yoga pose when it happens….(Am I still making any sense with this jet lag? ;))!
        Farnoosh recently posted..Third Audio Podcast- On 5 Pillars of Health

• Jean Sarauer September 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm #

Welcome back, Farnoosh! If you think I’m in perfect balance, then yes, you are making a whole lot of sense :) Actually, I’m doing better with balance these days. I’ve been slowing way down and really enjoying and experience the trip!

30. Pete Stean September 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

I’m pretty sure I’m number two, which has its downsides… but I am trying harder to bring ‘me’ into my writing 😉
    Pete Stean recently posted..The Wilderness Downtown

• Jean Sarauer September 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

There can be real pluses in being an ambitious blogger–for one thing, you can help motivate those of us who are less ambitious :)

• Farnoosh September 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

Hey Pete, stay ambitious – there is not a thing wrong with ambition and especially if you are being true to who you are. I have enjoyed much ambition in my career and perhaps I will again in other careers. But do bring “you” into the writing for sure!
      Farnoosh recently posted..Third Audio Podcast- On 5 Pillars of Health

31. Jessy September 8, 2010 at 12:03 am #

I did not know that there were so many different ways to shine. I have some improvement to do. I will work on it and see what I can come up with. This is some great advice.