How to Make Your Blog Stand Out From the Crowd

A guest post by Tisha Berg of  What Matters Right Now

So you’ve decided to express your passion or expand your business through creating a blog.

You’re a little lost at first and probably a bit frustrated, but then you start networking and are thrilled to find many other blogs in your niche; that is, until you begin to notice that a great many of them look, sound and feel…suspiciously…just like yours.

Before you get discouraged and switch gears, though, I want to tell you that the stuff I just mentioned doesn’t really matter. They say that there’s nothing new under the sun, but what is new, unique and yours alone is your perspective, experiences, voice and personal style.

Do What YOU Do…And Do it WELL

An important point to consider here is that there’s a gajillion things you can do to make your blog better…and only one YOU. A quick road to blogger burnout is trying to do all those “blog building” things at the same time when your blog is new. And sadly, you can do all those things and still find yourself feeling less than satisfied with the outcome.

For right now your number one priority is to fan the flames of your interest and keep writing about your topic, with love, so that your blog becomes a fountain of knowledge and information. Remember that you’re building a resource and the traffic and community will grow based on the quality of the resource. So, buckle down and crank out as many kick-ass posts as you can before you start focusing on outreach.

Create Value

Once you’ve filled your site with great content, it’s time to ramp-up your networking activities. Start paying attention to the challenges your peers face or what kinds of questions seem to be a recurring theme. Then do or say something to answer the questions, solve the problems or at the very least commiserate authentically with their pain. This is how you begin to build a solid online community. If you need more inspiration on this subject, Naomi Dunford hits a home-run with this post, which was the impetus for a whole movement, referred to as Customer Love.

Customize, Customize, Customize

Starting a blog or a business doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. There are lots of ways to cut costs or improvise, but one thing that should not be compromised on is personalizing your blog from the very beginning. The esthetic appeal is one of the major ways that your brand begins to develop. It could be a minor tweak to a template or completely new designs, but either way, always keep your voice and your personal stamp in mind.

The Up-take

Yes, blogs are about building community and you can’t build a community if there’s nobody in the crowd who’s listening.

But just as in most areas of life, you don’t attract what you want by talking endlessly about what you want. You attract what you want by being exactly what you’re looking for. Need help? Be helpful. Want to engage with others? Be engaging. Want others to be interested in what you have to say? Be interested in what they’re saying. See how it works? Easy Peasy.

Read more by Tisha Berg on her blog What Matters Right Now

[Image by Fabbio]

15 Responses to How to Make Your Blog Stand Out From the Crowd

1. J.D. Meier January 5, 2011 at 3:21 am #

Beautiful points and I like your focus on YOU as the differentiator.

I think a key with value is to remember that value is in the eye of the beholder — One person’s trash is another’s treasure. Which leads me to a relevant Bill Cosby quote:
    “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”

… and I think that’s true with blogging. The key is to find your voice, not try to please everyone, but instead, impress yourself first, and find your tribe of raving fans that share your values and enjoy the journey.

2. Patti Foy January 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Hi Tisha,
    I just love the enthusiasm you express in this post. It’s contagious! And it also “underlines” the whole point you are making about letting ourselves shine through our blogs. It’s helpful to get advice about reeling ourselves in a bit, and get back to basics.
    Very helpful. Thank you!
    Patti Foy recently posted..Dare to Bop Fear in the NO’s and Enjoy the Euphoria of YES

3. Tisha January 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Hi J.D.
    Thanks for your comments. That’s a great quote! And I like what you said about impressing yourself first. I can always feel when I’m “in the zone”…and when I’m not. I think it’s good practice to take those moments of not feeling like we’re at our best and use them to be still for a bit and watch/listen for inspiration rather than say something just to be saying something.

4. Tisha January 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Patti! It really is about sticking to basics and checking in with ourselves regularly to make sure we’re staying authentic to our particular gifts. People can sense insincerity, even through the internets! :-)
    I so appreciate your kind words.
    Tisha recently posted..The Quickest and Least Stressful Way to Stay Productive- Give Up

5. Tisha January 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Mary,
    Thanks for inviting me to contribute an article here. I know you have some great plans in store for VBN and I’m looking forward to seeing the growth of this wonderful resource!

6. Jenny January 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

“You attract what you want by being exactly what you’re looking for.” I loved that Tisha and it’s so very true.

When you start being what you’re looking for everything begins to open up around you, and inside you. It’s no small transformation, as simple as it seems.

Lovely post! Thanks :)
    Jenny

7. Tisha January 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

Hey Jenny – yes it certainly is a big transformation, but SO worth the effort (as I know you know!)
    Btw – I just realized you’re from Royal Oak; my husband’s family lives in MI and I love hanging out in Royal Oak when we’re visiting them. I’d love to connect next time we’re in town!

8. Marci January 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Tisha, What an encouraging post. And, congrats on the guest post. I think we were on the same thread in bootcamp :)

My favorite line is: “You attract what you want by being exactly what you’re looking for.” I see this a lot in my practice, a lot of talking about it or around it, instead of doing it.
    Marci recently posted..7 Guilt-free Ways to Create Energizing Goals

• Tisha January 7, 2011 at 6:28 am #

Hi Marci!
      Yes I remember seeing you on the guest post thread. Thanks so much for stopping by – it’s always so great to run into fellow A-Listers!

9. Aileen January 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Tisha, this is fantastic inspiration and truth!!!

You are so right, “The bottom line is, yes, there is a lot of awesome-ness out there, but there’s no good reason you can’t be the next big blogger on the block. So, go ahead, do what YOU do, and shine!”
    Aileen recently posted..Give Yourself Your Best Year Yet

10. Walter January 9, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

The principles you’ve stated here are simple yet poorly understood by some bloggers. In my case I have employed continuous customization on my blog. I believe it is important that we know what would be most appealing to our audience. And of course, one’s uniqueness expressed through ones composition will make one stand among the rest. :-)

11. Tess January 11, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Yes, when we are doing something it’s our time to shine, so we should make sure that we are doing our best in it. To get the crowd’s attention is not easy, it needs a lot of work, an ideas, a lots of thinking in order to have an output which are unique from others. :)

And I also agree with Walter that we should know what our readers want to read and what are interesting for them.

12. Roshan Kharia January 22, 2011 at 6:53 am #

You are so right, when if first start out you tend to seek other people’s advice on everything. You must do it your own way, never get discouraged when someone critics your blog, if you also have positive remarks then you definitely do something good, in your own style.
    Roshan Kharia recently posted..It took me a few months to get the money together to be able to purchase this camera

13. Ali Mujtaba February 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I agree with most of your article, you must blog on something you care or really know about and do it your way, in your own personal style.
    Ali Mujtaba recently posted..Symptoms Of Tinnitus