Are You Making Your Comments Count? One Must-Know Trick

By Mary Jaksch

One of the ways to lure people to your blog is through writing interesting comments on related blogs. But most bloggers who comment don’t know a about simple one simple trick. For example, I was just reading through the comments on my guest post at Problogger, called How to Create a Membership Site That Rocks. I recognized quite a few blogger I know through the A-List Blogger Club.

I was shocked to see that not one of them created comments that would support their blog. The comments were good – that wasn’t the problem. But the bloggers didn’t identify themselves correctly.

Here is an example:

The only way for the reader to find out about Barrie’s blog is to click on her name. In other words, Barrie’s brand isn’t established in her comment. Let’s take a closer look at how to do this better. Here is a typical comment box:

Now, Barrie would have written her first and second name in the first box, right? In contrast, here’s how I do it:

This is how it looks:

In the Problogger article, my focus was on A-List Blogging Bootcamps and the A-List Blogger Club. When I write a comment on a blog that’s relates to Goodlife ZEN, I write my name like this:  Mary Jaksch | Goodlife ZEN.

What happens when you your name is linked to your blog is that your brand gets strengthened. Everyone can immediately connect your name and your photo to your blog. This is a simple tip, but this small tweak makes your comments count.

55 Responses to Are You Making Your Comments Count? One Must-Know Trick

1. Peppy/ The PeppyWrites Chronicles January 24, 2011 at 12:31 am #

Hello Mary,

I decided to give your suggestion a try and use the name box as an opportunity to “represent” myself.

I’ve been an avid reader of this blog, since I entered the blogging world back in March of last year, and have never been disappointed.

I struggle with just how much of myself to insert in any conversation/comment on blogs because some have expressed the opinion that it is “pandering” and/or out of place – however, when we meet people in person that is exactly the sort of info we share with one another. So, I appreciate your approach – and your help for novices and/or unknowns such as myself that enjoy blogging and want to grow… and the only way is by meeting others and letting them know who we are, etc.

You have been doing a wonderful job since accepting Jeanne’s Blogger Hat … I continue to be an avid reader. Thank you for your help.

Peppy
    Peppy/ The PeppyWrites Chronicles recently posted..Serving Up Talk – Family Style

• Mary Jaksch January 24, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Thanks so much for your encouraging comment, Peppy.
      I was happy to see your blog name appear with your name. Now I can go visit :-)

2. Graham Phoenix | Male eXperience January 24, 2011 at 5:21 am #

What a great point, Mary. It’s so simple and makes such a difference. Thank you.

Does it also help to have a link in the post itself.

Graham

3. Sandra I Always Well Within January 24, 2011 at 5:23 am #

Mary,

You always have the most fabulous “secrets.” I always wondered about this and the best way to approach this. Now I know! Thanks for the tip.
    Sandra I Always Well Within recently posted..Sensing Personal Connection- Kitten Style

4. David | Listen Feel Breathe January 24, 2011 at 5:39 am #

This is such a clever idea, amazing how sometimes the simple tips can be so helpful.

Thanks for sharing this idea.
    David | Listen Feel Breathe recently posted..Day 23- Stop thinking about it- stop learning about it and just start doing it

5. Alison Kerr | Loving Nature's Garden January 24, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Thanks for the great tip Mary. I’ll remember this for future comments for sure. How easy is that!
    Alison Kerr | Loving Nature’s Garden recently posted..A simple guide to buying vegetable seeds

6. Barrie/The Daily Brainstorm January 24, 2011 at 7:26 am #

Hi Mary,
    I don’t know whether to be happy or sad that I’m the featured blogger in your post! :) Thank you for reminding us of this very intuitive tip. My fingers are so used to typing out my full name that they work on auto-pilot. Time to retrain them.

7. Courtney Carver | Be More With Less January 24, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Mary, I thought your one trick was going to be including links in the comment. I was ready to share all the reasons why I think that is not a great idea.

I was thrilled (although not surprised) to see that your suggestion is helpful for commenters and readers. It’s a simple way to identify yourself without coming across as desperate for attention.

Love it!

8. Katie Tallo | Momentum Gathering January 24, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Yikes, at least Barrie’s been including her last name, I wasn’t even doing that. Thanks for the great tip Mary. Courtney’s right, it doesn’t look desperate just smart and links your name to your blog strongly. I like it.
    Katie Tallo of Momentum Gathering signing off! Okay that was overkill :)
    Katie Tallo | Momentum Gathering recently posted..When You Are Sad

9. Maia Duerr / The Liberated Life Project January 24, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Mary, the sign of brilliance is when simple ideas have extraordinary impact. I think you just did that with this suggestion. Thank you! I’m trying it out right now : )
    Maia Duerr / The Liberated Life Project recently posted..26 Quotes for Living a Liberated Life

10. Arvnd Devalia | Make It Happen January 24, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Great tip Mary!

As usual the best things are the simplest ones:-)
    Arvnd Devalia | Make It Happen recently posted..How to Conquer Temptation and Fulfill Your Dreams

11. Dave | Creative Chai January 24, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Hi Mary, I was one of those people :) thanks for the great and simple tip. I’m really interested to try it out and check against my stats.

It’s not something I really considered before, maybe I just assumed people were thinking like this: “Oh look, that comment was made by Dave. You know, the Dave on the internet. I’d better click that link!”

oops!
    Dave | Creative Chai recently posted..Love Poem For A Moon

12. Aileen | Kaizen Vision January 24, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Mary, that is a truly fabulous suggestion.

It doesn’t look “too self promoting” it simply helps identify the commenter the person commenting. Often times I as a reader know they name of a blog, but don’t connect the author – such a wonderful suggestion!!!! Thank you for sharing this :)
    Aileen | Kaizen Vision recently posted..How Inspiration Created A Golden Opportunity

13. Lip | Self Help For Happy People January 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Thank you, it’s also reminded me of the need to add this e-mail address to Gravatar so people get to see my ugly mug next to my name and blog 😀

14. Mary |A-List Blogging Bootcamps January 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Great to see all you lovely commenters display your blog with your name :-)

I think it looks better with the straight upright line (whatever it’s called). If you don’t know where it is, it’s on the keyboard above the backward slash (anyhow, that’s where it is on my laptop)

15. J.D. Meier January 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I like your point on showcasing your brand to make it stick.

I hadn’t thought about it before, but now that I think about it …
    – I like comments where people leave their first and last name
    – It’s OK when people leave their name and brand
    – It’s less OK, when it’s just brand

The most sticky thing for me is when I see a first and last name, because that helps make it unique and personable, and then an insightful comment. If they are insightful, I’ll check out there blog. It’s a subtle thing, but that’s part of the appeal.

I think that’s because I like the people part, independent of any blog creation or brand they might have. Also, I have noticed sometimes the name + blog can make it tough to parse the name (more complex.)

I think it also depends on what you feel more connected with — a person or a brand.

That said, if I wanted to promote my blog brand, using comments would be a good strategy. For now, it’s merely me :)

• Mary | A-List Blogging Bootcamps January 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

You can do the same trick, using first and second name. Like this:
      Mary Jaksch | Goodlife ZEN

The only thing you have to watch out for is whether there is enough space to put all that. Just check your comment when it’s posted. If not everything appears, just use your first name

16. Marianne Yates | A Life Set Free! January 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

What an amazingly simple idea! I have always struggled with whether or not to link back to my blog for the same reasons as Peppy, but this a much more subtle, yet effective way to get known.

One question: I have been signing my name on all comments til now as “marianney.” should I change that to my full name as I have done this time? I have both names on my blog.
    Marianne Yates | A Life Set Free! recently posted..so you want a life of freedom eh here’s the secret to life!

17. Marianne Yates | A Life Set Free! January 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

P.S. I used the retweet button at the bottom of the post and it said RT @jeansarauer
    I thought you might want to change it.

18. Sarah Giles | Sarah Giles January 24, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Hi Mary,

I see the logic and brilliance of this but my blog doesn’t have a separate identity: it has my name as its title. In my case using your strategy just looks repetitive (as above). :)

Would you say giving my blog my own name was a branding mistake? Are there other comment-potential-maximising strategies you recommend that fulfil this concept? I’d be interested in your views. Thank you.
    Sarah Giles | Sarah Giles recently posted..Plurals- possessives and polite proofreading

19. Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs January 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

Wow! Thank you! This is the ONE thing I’ve been doing right, it seems. I appreciate the validation. :)
    Lisa @ Grandma’s Briefs recently posted..Moving in the right direction

• Mary Jaksch January 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Congratulations, Lisa :-)

20. Robyn I A Ponderance of Things January 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

A Wonderful Idea! Another think-outside-the-box example for all of us too prone to following exact directions…and more fun for all. I love following all the links; it’s procrastination disguised as socializing I fear, but what-the-heck.
    Robyn I A Ponderance of Things recently posted..Diwali-Festival of Light

21. Tess Bold Life January 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

Mary,
    I’ve been doing this from the smart. It’s a miracle;)
    Tess Bold Life recently posted..Running- Why My World Revolves Around It

22. Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being January 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Hi Mary,
    Thanks for the super idea! Now I just need to know where the key is to add in the “interesting” part. Oh, I see, it’s scattered all over the keyboard. Just a little trickier!
    And what a way to get a ton of comments. We all have to try it out now, don’t we?
    Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being recently posted..Enhance Your State of Mind in Minutes with This Easy Tool

23. Ali Mujtaba January 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Hello Mary, pretty interesting but maybe some blogger will view that type of commenting as spam….
    Ali Mujtaba recently posted..The 7D is a rather complicated camera to learn and to operate

• Marianne Yates | A Life Set Free! January 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

i wondered about that too. when i retweeted this link, i had someone reply to me that if they received comments like this on their blog, they would delete them as spam! i think we need to just tread carefully with this and feel out the sites where it would be appropriate. personally, it would not bother me. our names are already links to our sites anyway.
      Marianne Yates | A Life Set Free! recently posted..are your passwords dangerous

• Mary Jaksch January 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

I’ve never had a problems with this strategy

• Kala/Embark-LovetheLIfeYouLive January 30, 2011 at 11:37 pm #

Marianne, I’m surprised any blogger would say that- it’s pretty obvious that blogging is in part, about community. As long as the content is spammy what’s the problem? I did notice Mary how you signed but I didn’t get how to do it, it’s so simple.
        Thanks, usually I just slip my link into the body of the comment.
        Kala/Embark-LovetheLIfeYouLive recently posted..7 Creative Ways to Stop Feeling Like A Victim!

24. Miss Footloose | Life in the Expat Lane January 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Hi Mary,

Great tip! Obviously, Miss Footloose is not my “real” name. When I started blogging two years ago, I took on the alias of Miss Footloose because it would be memorable and part of my brand and match the tone and content of my blog: humorous stories about my (mis)adventures living in various countries around the world. I hope my thinking was correct.

Karen van der Zee aka Miss Footloose

25. James | Intrahost January 26, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Hello Mary,

This is first visit to Virgin Bloggers Notes, since Jean left and past the blog over to you. I am pleased that you’re doing a wonderful and replacing Jean. I’ve done some guest posts for Jean previously.

Regarding the blog post. It is important present yourself and identify yourself. Sadly, many people use their keywords to present themselves. From an SEO point of view, is good but not for being reconigised in a community.

I look forward to reading more posts.

Many thanks

James
    James | Intrahost recently posted..Reasons to have a self-hosted blog

• Mary Jaksch | A-List Blogging Bootcamps January 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks for your kind words, James. Me, I think Jean is irreplacable :-(
      But I’m glad you’re getting value from what I doing here.

26. Anne Sales | Coupon Codes January 28, 2011 at 3:17 am #

This is funny and interesting. I used to always use that technique but sort of shy away from it sometimes because I don’t want to be branded as commenting for the sake of advertising my blog. But I think it’s what it is, in the first place. Thank you for the heads-up.
    Anne Sales | Coupon Codes recently posted..Wall Street Journal Discount

27. Tisha Berg | What Matters Right Now January 28, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Wow, such a simple but brilliant tweak Mary! From the beginning of my blogging journey, I always shied away from linking overtly to my blogs because I was told that kind of thing was frowned upon. But, let’s face it, we’re sharing, learning AND networking when we visit other people’s blogs and make comments. I think your solution is a happy medium between self-promotion and meaningful connection.
    Tisha Berg | What Matters Right Now recently posted..Embrace Your Contradictions with Love

• Mary Jaksch | A-List Blogging Bootcamps January 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thanks, Tisha. It took me a while to work out how to do it. Because I hate it when people just comment in order to promote their blog. When I see your ogand your blog above the comment it makes me smile :-)

28. Ahlam - ProWriterInc January 28, 2011 at 10:34 am #

OMG (I’m excited). This is a magical tip, and really does make such a big difference. Thanks for sharing!
    Ahlam – ProWriterInc recently posted..The American Dream- A 21st Century Illusion

29. Bill Grosh - Splitting Wood, Lifting Stones January 28, 2011 at 11:42 am #

I noticed that on Mary’s original example, the “pipe” divider really looks like a divider. But on the actual comments on this page, it comes out looking like a capital “I” instead of a divider. For example, one of the posts comes out looking like, “Arvnd Devalia I Make It Happen,” saying “I make it happen.” So it doesn’t look like a divider.
    I don’t know if this depends on the computer and browser a person is using, but all the comment names show up like that on my computer for this post. So you might want to vary what you use as a divider, depending on how it shows up on the page you’re commenting on.
    Personally, I like the simple dash (-) like I used here. I also like the @ symbol another commentator used, although I think that some people would assume it was an email address rather than a web link, and not want to click on it.
    In any case, this is a great idea! Thanks Mary.
    Bill Grosh – Splitting Wood, Lifting Stones recently posted..Aurora Borealis- Amazing Dance of Light

30. Rosemary Offbeat Woman January 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Oooooops! I came straight here after leaving my comment on your post in problogger…with no identifier either. Lesson learnt. Thanks for another great tip Mary! :)

31. Debra | Fuel The Muse January 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

Like the others said – a simple tip, of immense value. Thank you. this is my first visit to Virgin Blogger Notes, but it won’t be my last.
    Debra | Fuel The Muse recently posted..Are Your Children Missing This Key Ingredient in Their Study Toolbox

32. Future Expat January 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Sometimes (where appropriate) I just type my name as “Future Expat.” Shorter, simpler, conveys the same information. . .

Susanna
    Future Expat recently posted..Comment on Free Internet Tool for Expats- Hotspot Shield by FutureExpat

33. Cathy | Treatment Talk January 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Great suggestion, Mary. Will do that in the future. Thanks.
    Cathy | Treatment Talk recently posted..Our Deepest Fear

34. Mary Beth | Cupcakes and Crinoline January 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

What a great tip ~ and easy to remember. Thanks so much.
    Mary Beth | Cupcakes and Crinoline recently posted..Valentine’s Day Wreaths

35. Johan - Chesstiger January 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

I will join the crowd by thanking you for this little, but easy to do tip. Thank you milady *bows*.
    Johan – Chesstiger recently posted..Official game four with analyse of Yelena Dembo

36. Eileen / Threshold Place January 31, 2011 at 12:54 am #

Hi Mary,
    Thanks for the great tip. I’ve learned so much from you already & I’m grateful that it continues.

37. Marci | Liberating Choices January 31, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Thank you for the tip, and the opportunity to try it out live in the comments. I’m always cautious, as it’s not in my nature to overly promote myself. But I do love my brand/blog name, and am happy to share it :)
    Marci | Liberating Choices recently posted..Interrupt Unwanted Emotions with Power Steering

38. The Londoneer February 4, 2011 at 9:54 am #

I almost always click through to people’s websites when they comment on my blog – I don’t know about you but I’m always curious about the demographics of people who read it!
    The Londoneer recently posted..Chinese New Year in London – The Year of the Rabbit

39. Avadhut l Analytics.net.in February 8, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Mary,
    Thanks Mary, this was really wonderful.

40. Karolyne | EmpoweringTech February 16, 2011 at 7:23 am #

Thank you for this excellent suggestion. I had tucked it away in Evernote and just got around to using it on a comment. Easy and most helpful!

41. shannen|yesmom.com.ph March 18, 2011 at 9:17 am #

so simple and yet so effective.
    thank you once again mary for making things easier for us baby bloggers :)
    shannen|yesmom.com.ph recently posted..tuna aglio

1. Tweets that mention Are You Making Your Comments Count? One Must-Know Trick | Virgin Blogger Notes -- Topsy.com - January 24, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sandra Lee, A-List Blogging. A-List Blogging said: Are You Making Your Comments Count? One Must-Know Trick: http://bit.ly/f1VsP4 […]