A guest post by Marci Payne of Liberating Choices
The precision of naming takes away from the uniqueness of seeing. ~Pierre Bonnard, painter
Naming children is precise. We can’t see who our kids will become. Yet, we look through books and scour websites, narrowing down our choices. We may name our child after someone special, or begin the name with the same initials as a parent.
For me, naming my kids is easier than naming my blog. In fact, I’ve changed my blog’s name 3 times! After much trial and error, I can see uniqueness in my current blog’s name, Liberating Choices.
What about you? Are you in search of the perfect blog name? The name that describes your writing passion with congruence, authenticity, and energy.
While I’m still a virgin blogger, I’d like to share how to transform your blog by defining it like an A-List blogger.
Like a Virgin Blogger
My first title, ‘Counselor Perspectives’ is generically bland. It is safe and professional. I describe myself, yet deny my creative diva.
I knew my blog’s title was missing something, but I wasn’t sure how to make it better. Luckily, I learned from my virgin blogging mistakes.
Like an A-List Blogger
I welcome the invitation to sign up for the A-List blogger.. I introduce myself, and eagerly request a blog review in the membership forum. Barrie, a coach at Live Bold and Bloom jumps in to mentor me. Within days, I have a list of 8 things that will makeover my virgin blog.
Barrie simply asks me, ‘what are you offering?’ I am starting to see what is missing. It’s not me I want to describe, it’s what people will find when they read my blog. I excitedly tackle my makeover list, and start with my blog’s title. After all, isn’t naming your blog where the birthing really begins?
The Blog Title
I literally grab a scrap paper and start brainstorming. My vision is clearing. Here are the steps I took to give my blog a real title, and you can too:
- Make a word list: Write down every word that describes what you offer through your blog. (For example, my list includes: life change, choices, encouragement, coaching, creation, humor, wisdom, freedom, growth.) Ití’ your turn, make your own unique list, using active and strong words.
- Arrange keywords: Shuffle your top words. Arrange 2-4 words until you find the perfect match and order. And, you have a title.
- Check availability: Use Go Daddy to determine the availability of using your blog’s title as a domain name. You may need to change a verb tense or word order, until you find a title that is both available and uniquely you.
Once you have your very own blog title, it’s time to describe it. When I think of taglines, I think slogans: Nike’s ‘Just Do It’, or Wendy’s ìWhere’s the Beef’. While not every tagline is going to be as memorable as these mega-marketing stars, you can still create a defining tag for your blog.
Here are a few ideas to help you craft your blog’s tagline:
- Elaborate through Description: Clearly tell your readers what you will offer in each post. Elaborate on the words in your title.
- Keep it Simple: Use as few words as possible. Think clarity through brevity.
- Ask for feedback: My tagline is Small Steps for Big Change. Its birth was a group effort through the A-list Blogger Club forum. Find others willing to give you honest feedback.
The About Page
Like a virgin blogger, my first About Page was barely present with two meager paragraphs. Without a clear focus, I didn’t have much to say. After making over my title and tagline, I was ready to tackle my About Page.
What do you think is important to include in your About Page? Among the endless possibilities, here are the questions I answered in my About Page:
- Who am I?
- What makes me credible to write on this topic?
- Why is this topic important to me?
- What is the purpose of my blog?
- What is the benefit of reading this blog?
- How can others be involved and get updates?
Benefits of a Defining Blog
I have done a lot of reading on branding and marketing, but none are more defining to my business than naming my blog for the final time. I found passion and energy through clarity of a brand all my own. I can see.
What helps you define your blog? If you’re struggling to name your blog, use the comment section to brainstorm ideas with your fellow bloggers.
Read more by Marci Payne on her blog, Liberating Choices.
Marci says about the A-List Blogger Club:
“I am grateful to have an array of blogging resources in one place. And, I am especially thankful for the encouragement, collaboration, and mentoring I’ve found in the membership forums. I have transformed my blog and my writing. I’ve gone from a clinical-theoretical writer to a story telling, change inspiring, headline popping writer. I have fallen in love with writing, am looking forward to the next boot camp!”
The A-List Blogger Club is currently accepting new members. To find out more, click here