The Benefits of Google+ for Bloggers

By Mary Jaksch

Have you caught up with Google+ yet?
My take is that we are experiencing the birth of a major social medium. I think it will have huge implications on how we share information, and on how we grow our blogs.

Here is what Google says about their new project:

Sharing is a huge part of the web, a part that we think could be a lot simpler. That’s why we’ve been working on adding a few new things to Google: to make connecting with people on the web more like connecting with them in the real world. We hope you like what we’ve cooked up so far. And stay tuned, because there’s more to come.

As bloggers, we need to be early adopters of new trends. When something big rolls towards us – like Google+ – it’s important to get a hang of it as soon as possible. Below are a collection of videos that explain the various functions.

Overview

If you haven’t caught up with Google+ yet, watch the video below:

Create Circles

Here is a video on how to create and use Circles. They are the ‘boxes’ where you keep each particular circle of people you know. This is useful so that you don’t mistakenly tell your mother-in-law about your tipsy night at the bar…

Hangouts

If you’re a Skype user, this will be of great interest for you. It’s like having a Skype meeting- with everyone on video. I reckon this may be a great tool for doing video interviews.

Huddles

This particular feature is aimed at replacing Twitter. Check it out below:

Sparks

Do you want your blog to grow? Silly question … But, seriously – if you want to reach more readers, the Sparks feature on Google+ may be just want you want to use. Check it out below:

What discoveries have YOU made with Google+? How do you see the possible benefits for bloggers?
Please share in the comments.

37 Responses to The Benefits of Google+ for Bloggers

1. Tess The Bold Life July 3, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Mary,
    Thank you for sharing with us all things new. Reading your blogs gives me the opportunity to stay on top of the important stuff. I will watch these videos today…on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

2. Jeroen van Baardwijk July 3, 2011 at 10:10 am #

This post just happens to show how influential Mary Jaksch is. I had a discussion recently with someone who wrote a blog post about Google+ and asked him what the added value of yet another social media platform would be. What would Google+ have to offer what I couldn’t already get with Facebook + LinkedIn + Twitter?

He couldn’t really tell, and having already read another blogpost which questioned the added value of Google+, I didn’t even bother to check it out.

But now that Mary recommends it, I’m definitely going to give it a chance.

Rising from “Mary who?” to “If Mary Jaksch recommends it then it’s worth checking it out” in under three months — that’s quite an accomplishment! Mary, you rock!

(Yes, you may quote me on that.)
    Jeroen van Baardwijk recently posted..Coincidence Is No Coincidence, Part I

3. Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition July 3, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Mary,
    Thank you for all the research you did for this. I am aware of the Google+1 sharing and am using it on my blog. Everything else her is news to me though. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
    Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition recently posted..Celebrating the Genius of America’s Founding Fathers

4. Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being July 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Hi Mary,

Yes, like some of the others, all new to me, too and thanks for the introduction! Especially if it’s something that will help streamline instead of being yet one more task to try to keep up with.

I appreciate you gathering the videos for us with the corresponding little blurbs. Thanks for helping us stay toward the front of the pack!
    Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being recently posted..Timely Tidbits: Unleash the Power of the Storm

5. Tess Giles Marshall July 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Hi Mary, was checking this out on Chris Brogan’s site as well. It looks like it has far more possibilities than I first thought it would. Can’t get an invite yet so haven’t checked it out first hand yet.
    Do you have any concerns about Google’s world domination strategy??
    Tess Giles Marshall recently posted..What if you were a vampire?

6. ntathu allen July 4, 2011 at 7:47 am #

Oh no…another “opportunity” to get my head around (smiles)Thx Mary for sowing the seeds and drip feeding the future. OM

7. marianney | CityVids.tv Denver July 6, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Wow I hadn’t heard of this either, but am not sure how exactly it would help with blogging yet. Not saying that it won’t be useful, but haven’t figured out how. It’s definitely an interesting concept though.
    marianney | CityVids.tv Denver recently posted..Happy Fourth of July! (video)

8. Jeff Goins July 8, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Interesting. I’ve been playing with Google+ but haven’t really seen how to leverage it for my blog. I like these ideas, Mary. I’m going to try them out.
    Jeff Goins recently posted..The One Fear that Will Destroy Your Art

9. Jeroen van Baardwijk July 8, 2011 at 9:44 am #

@Jeff: I heard today that Google has reopened the opportunity to give out invites. If you have invites to give away, Jeff, I’ll gladly accept one!
    Jeroen van Baardwijk recently posted..Coincidence Is No Coincidence, Part II

10. Melanie July 13, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Hi Mary, I like your post because I’m very new in Google+. All videos are great and useful :) Thanks for sharing
    Melanie recently posted..What men want in a woman

11. Anita July 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Thanks for your post Mary. I just received a Google+ invite in my inbox and I’ll be installing a +1 plugin on my blog soon. I’ll be playing with that a bit. Hope to see some great benefits.
    Anita recently posted..Design your own kitchen – 7 Tips to Create Your Dream Kitchen

12. J.D. Meier July 14, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Very nice and precise overview.

It seems like the Web at large is following in the footsteps Second Life paved early on.

I like how Web 2.0 has truly gone mainstream.
    J.D. Meier recently posted..101 Ways to Motivate Yourself and Others

13. Difference Between July 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

How can I get invited to Google +?
    Difference Between recently posted..Difference Between Down and Feathers

14. Nidz Gamz July 17, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Hi Mary i really appreciate this post i use Google + now i am working fast to my work,when i read this i automatic apply to my computer and its easy to do.thanks!
    Nidz Gamz recently posted..Guilty To Spend?

15. Dan July 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I was just recently invited into Google+, so I can only hope that my efforts of learning how it works can benefit myself and people I circle with.

I would have waited until it went public, but I just couldn’t resist!
    Dan recently posted..Disable Windows 7 Desktop Composition for Better Gaming

16. Jenni July 20, 2011 at 3:52 am #

I think the main benefit is that Google Plus helps us spread the world and great for SEO.
    Jenni recently posted..Automatically get backlinks for every blog post with Digi Article Blaster

17. Gween July 21, 2011 at 1:23 am #

Hello Mary, i am new to this site and i was hoping that this Google + is working good because i am starting to download it to my computer.Thanks!
    Gween recently posted..Saving Money With Coupons

18. Jeff July 22, 2011 at 3:43 am #

Google + will surely be a very effective social media marketing tool. I believe that sparks allow your interest and hobbies to appear on the wall which is effective in attracting people who can relate. I find google’s circles very convenient and useful. I can just drag the faces of my friends to any category I like. Google has made such a great innovation.
    Jeff recently posted..How To Pick Up A Girl

19. honeygomez1980 July 22, 2011 at 4:39 am #

I am a new blogger and just got my invitation to google+ but I am stuck in setting it up. Thanks for this information I have something to look forward to once my google+ is set up properly.
    honeygomez1980 recently posted..- Teenage Dating Sites

20. Richard July 30, 2011 at 5:16 am #

My stance had been that they weren’t providing enough new features over Facebook, and so no one would jump ship and without users a social site is dead. However, I recently saw a graph showing the user sign up rate of Google Plus and it was astounding. Going to have to check it out soon, I think.
    Richard recently posted..Artificial Grass

21. Maria Cheska July 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

The attached video really help me appreciate more about Google+. The only problem now, is how can I be able to join and create my own account? Do I still need some invite from other user for me to be able have access on it?
    Maria Cheska recently posted..How to win the lottery guaranteed

22. Clarra July 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Great video made my mind clear.this really help me in doing my work, i may share this to my friends.thanks for sharing.
    Clarra recently posted..Money Saving Tips for 2011

23. Abril August 2, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Segregating your contact using different circle will definitely give you advantage. Creating a circle exclusive for your blogger friends will ease up the way you distribute your latest blogs.
    Abril recently posted..THE GREEN ROUND ENEMY

24. Cristian Balau August 3, 2011 at 9:42 am #

I’m yet to register to Google+. I’m still waiting to see “what happens” in the next weeks, thought it already started a huge movement, I’m still skeptical. Another motive is that my friends are all on facebok, none migrated to Google+ yet. So until that happens, until some people I know will join Google+ I’l probably won’t create an account. To tell you the truth I don’t really love social networks all together, though Google+ looks way more complex and sophisticated the facebook, but at the same time it looks fast and easy to use.

25. Alice August 7, 2011 at 1:13 am #

Google+ is growing fast. I wonder if google will use the google+ data to give us more specific ads. And use our private data in other ways. Though google+ looks promising for sure.
    Alice recently posted..Debt Signs Revealed

26. Lyka Ricks August 9, 2011 at 5:40 am #

Google+ is answering our needs and even expectations. It’s Great! Its a plus factor.
    Lyka Ricks recently posted..Difference Between Evaporation and Transpiration

27. Chris Rg August 9, 2011 at 7:37 am #

Great videos thanks, as one who is trying to keep abreast of all this blogging stuff your post are really helpful,
    will be back for more whenever i have a free 5 minutes.
    thanks agxin x

28. djelagirl August 11, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Well Mary i can see you are really one of the trusted blogger as most of who read your post just gave Google+ a try.Most of my friends is still not acquainted with this thing and I still have to try this one.
    djelagirl recently posted..play angry birds online

29. Vernon August 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you for this it is very impressive for introducing the new Google +. I didn’t experience using it but for now my friend invite me using Google+. I will try those thing you’ve shared.
    Vernon recently posted..Shaiya Online Review

30. hannamay August 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I love Google+, this is a very big help..
    hannamay recently posted..Difficulty Getting Pregnant

31. Osman Furrer August 22, 2011 at 10:07 am #

Wow, so this means that Google+ is not just another social networking site like I originally thought it was, which is why I never visit my account there often. Thanks for this wonderful eye-opener!
    Osman Furrer recently posted..French Language Learning Software

32. Synthetic Grass Brisbane August 25, 2011 at 4:13 am #

I like its hangouts feature because I am a skype user and it is so much beneficial for me. Due to Google+ through video, i can attend the meeting with my clients. Thanks for helping me.

33. Atish September 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

hangout feature is just awesome. Google+ is very nice for bloggers and SEOs. Its another a good site to promote your blog or site.
    Atish recently posted..Enhance Online Sales Strategies With Live Support Technologies

34. Chris October 23, 2011 at 7:39 am #

Damn ! id forgotten about this, great site will be back in touch soon, now added your updates so i don’t forget again, back soon. chris x
    Chris recently posted..Bali Clothing – Batik Mode Dresses

35. April Marie Tucker November 2, 2011 at 8:09 am #

I think many people are over looking the possibilities of Google Plus.. I am seeing many blogs that still do not have a Google+ button for their posts and one of the whole reasons Google+ was created was so that Google could track popular content. This is a very informative post! Thanks so much for sharing :)
    April Marie Tucker recently posted..Increase your Skill set to grow your Network Marketing Business

36. malunggay56 November 6, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I’m still waiting to see “what happens” in the next weeks, thought it already started a huge movement, I’m still skeptical. Another motive is that my friends are all on facebok, none migrated to Google+ yet. | :P
    malunggay56 recently posted..What is VOIP Phone Service

37. online web solution company March 17, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Parsaa Technologies is one of the best Online Web Solutions Company provide services in Web Designing & Development, content Writing, Data Entry, SEO, SEM, SMM through the latest techniques and tools to build the highly interactive and dynamic websites.